Hand primer recommendations

The RCBS unit is dreck.

Which one? Some things I am not keen on the hand primer but dreck is not a word I would use. Have not tried the Auto but it looks good though the tube and primer load looks a bit annoying.

I gave up a Lee hand primer as I did not like it.

The RCBS auto primer looks pretty good

Lyman solves the RCBS issue, I like the RCBS universal as it is easier to adjust the feel for the primer going in.

At this point single feeding the RCBS works fine and I would go with an auto primer RCBS or other if it appealed as better.

While not a big Lee fan, this looks like a it has good features the Lee only shell holder issue aside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5CSkxpomJk

Last edited:
I don't know, for something that continues to work well for 35+ years, I fail to see how the RCBS hand held primer is .....I won't use some of the new additions to the English language that are being imposed on us by the youngsters..... a bad unit.

Don

The Lee unit is out of stock all over the country.

I like it for ease of primer handling (or as easy as it gets and I never saw any of the RCBS strips offered!)

The Lee is quite reasonable if the quality is decent.

New hand primer

After much searching and reading many recomendations I located a RCBS Model 90200 hand primer (new) at about the same price as a used one on fleabay. Most of the reviews were good. Now I can not find the shell holder needed every where I have looked it is on back order. Have left notice to contact me if or when one comes in. Just starting into reloading so have lots to learn. Am trying to locate the #20 RCBS shell holder for the45 colt . Any help welcomed.:confused:

In Need

Just bought a RCBS hand primer, the one that uses shell holders (90200) can not find shell holder for 45 colt anybody got one ? Also will this seat primers correctly? Any help welcome.

1. To correctly seat you need to examine primers after seating. You need to squeeze hard, and devrlop a sense of feel, for when the primer is seated just below the case head. You can always twist 1/2 turn and squeeze again. Most people do not seat deeply enough at first. If a primer does not go bang, 99.9% of the time it was not seated deep enough, and the primer seated further when contacted by the firing pin. Second time they go off, 9 out of 10 times.
2. Standard shellholders are interchangeable between brands (except certain obnoxious products that use proprietary shellholders for their priming tools. Hornady, Lyman, RCBS, Redding: thay all work. If I need one for a specific caliber, I will order whatever brand is in stock.

Last edited:
Standard shellholders are interchangeable between brands (except certain obnoxious products that use proprietary shellholders for their priming tools. Hornady, Lyman, RCBS, Redding: thay all work.

Marco,

Not with the RCBS hand primer, they like their own brand of shellholder.

Don

I have an RCBS regular (and universal) hand primers and it works with various brand shell holders. Except some Lee shellholders, like they use the same size for 9mm and 10mm.

My first shellholder is a 35 year old Lyman #2. It fits like all my others. I can tell the Redding ones because of the nice knurling. All the others, I need to see what fits securely and then look up the number to know the brand.
Are you perhaps referring to special shellholder for a primer tool? Lee did that.

Nope, talking about a Lyman X2 shellholder that is the equivalent of the RCBS #3 shellholder. The RCBS #3 fits, the Lyman X2 doesn't.

Back