Hand primer recommendations

I have and older lee hand prime (circa 2008)
The new one looks bad with the plastic springs, both the hand and ergo prime
I don't like the proprietary shell holders either.
It only likes cci primers, does not feed federal, rem, or winchester well, they get stuck in the tray

From what I have seen the RCBS universal is amazing.

My buddy just got a RCBS priming tool that uses standard shell holders due to the universal being out of stock. I got to play with it a bit wicked smooth compared to my lee. I plan on upgrading in the near future.

Last edited:
I bought another one so I didn't have to switch the plunger for small and large primers.

I did the same thing. One is set up for small primers and one is set up for large primers.

Don

Lee has revised the design since I bought mine, so it now takes a full tray of primers, and it has some kind of step thingie that's intended to prevent double feeds. I haven't tried the new design, but if it's as good as the old one -- it's certainly affordable.
I broke the handle/lever on my original and 3 replacements. A Royal PITA. Lee wouldn't replace them either. I now use a Lyman, it uses shell holders that fit the press, not the proprietary ones like the Lee. Rod

For what its worth, I too have the RCBS universal hand primer.

It finally occurred to me that while those trays are a pain in the ass, how about just single loading it?

It works pretty well. I just have a open jar lid (think plastic peanut butter in a larger size) and load them out of that (no more than a tray of primers for safety reasons)

Technique wise I hold it slanted to the left (feeding from the left side) and that frees them up from some interference in the feed (sometimes a bit of a hang up maybe on the right chute feed)

I can do either hand but usually use the left as I am a bit weaker there and like to keep that up strength wise, I am quasi ambidextrous though.

I don't think the fingers affects the primer though I grew up with hell hath no fury like a finger handled primer.

The small sizes are a bit harder for older hands but works good enough.

Originally they had smaller tray which I have one from an old RCBS hand loader. Its better but still not good.

That is weight, balance and they don't tab in so they fall out once in a while, extremely annoying (pisses me off!)

Also broke the right feed part though RCBS send replacement parts (pretty much the whole tool!).

It has good feel and I get the .003 to .005 seating depths.

I used an RCBS hand priming tool for a long time, after testing all of the available hand priming tools at a Cabela's. Liked RCBS pretty well, other than non-RCBS shell holders often not fitting well. (Solution: Ask for free primer guide replacements, and shape them to work with other shell holders.)

But I bought an RCBS automatic bench priming tool a few years ago.
That hand primer almost never comes out of its drawer, now.
Bench prime is the superior race.

It didn't even take away room on my bench. I stuck it on a corner that had previously just collected crap anyway, but was a good location for priming.

But I bought an RCBS automatic bench priming tool a few years ago.
That hand primer almost never comes out of its drawer, now.
Bench prime is the superior race.

As a person who did too many deadlifts and has arthritis in his thumbs I agree. If you want to go full tilt anal on the primer loading get Darrel Hollands add on for the unit and you can dial in you seating depth.

Holland's Perfect Primer Seater

I recently bought the RCBS APS priming tool, mostly cause the very last primers available were in the plastic strips. It looks like a nice adjustable primer tool which I look forward to using as soon as I get it installed on a bench.

I have an RCBS that uses regular shell holders. Got ride of a lee unit. The Lee actually worked better with the special shell holders. The RCBS is a bit safer with a bar that goes back and fort each time but it jams up a lot more than I care to talk about. Would love to hear about the Hornady unit that looks like a 45 in the grip.

I have an RCBS universal hand primer and wish I'd bought one that uses shellholders, some small cases (.32) will not have enough pressure to hold them while seating and fly out of the jaws.

The issue is none of the hand primers are particularly cheap, the best price I've seen for the RCBS has been $50 and if you go that route, get the one that uses shellholders.

That said, if you have the ability to mount a priming tool on the bench or a table, do that, Lee is the cheapest, but you'll have to buy the proprietary shellholders separate.

Would love to hear about the Hornady unit that looks like a 45 in the grip.
That's just a primer tube filler, not an actual priming tube.
It vibrates to shake primers into a tube.

As for the actual Hornady hand priming tool, I found it hard on the web of my hand and the motion somewhat unnatural. Seemed very likely to pinch me at every chance, as well.
One of my brothers ended up with one, because he didn't like my RCBS hand primer. Verified the pinch theory.
Long story short, I converted him to the RCBS Automatic Bench Primer, as well. :D

If you want to go full tilt anal on the primer loading get Darrel Hollands add on for the unit and you can dial in you seating depth.
Thanks.
I probably won't be getting one. But it is good to know that the tool is out there.

If you want to go full tilt anal on the primer loading get Darrel Hollands add on for the unit and you can dial in you seating depth.
I took a look at that and it looks like a great idea.

Last edited:
I always run a primer pocket uniformer on new brass, but mainly that is just to make sure none are too shallow. Anyway I think the USAMU's advice allows plus or minus .003. I bought that mod back when I was going nuts over my ammo when my real issue was lack of wind reading ability

My all time favorite hand primer is, sadly, out of production, and it has been so for decades. It’s the RCBS Posi-Prime. Uses standard shell holders and has a great feel in the hand when seating primers.

From the descriptions of several above posts, others may still be using the Posi-Prime as well...

Bayou

I have 2 of the RCBS Hand Primers, one for small primers and one for large primers (I'm lazy LOL). I also have the RCBS bench mounted primer. Both types work great for me.

Randie
Fort Smith, AR

The arthritis issue is very valid and I do suffer from hand pain.

So far I manage it and I can do the Universal ok most of the time. Conflicted on keeping hard at it and the pain at bay and the grip stronger or ........

Does not mean you can'g get it and use as needed or if as the precipitation says.

The RCBS auto prime looks like a good solution for that

I have 2 of the RCBS Hand Primers, one for small primers and one for large primers (I'm lazy LOL). I also have the RCBS bench mounted primer. Both types work great for me.

I also have one each of the Universal Small and Large

Last edited:
Annnd another question that has been asked many, many times.

The Lee works well but breaks.
The RCBS unit is dreck.
The Lyman unit is ok.

This, especially if you have arthritic hands.
Another vote for the Frankfort Arsenal primer. A pleasure to prime even with my arthritic hands. No it's not the cheapest but worth every penny. I have the RCBS Posi-Prime and 2 or 3 different Lee versions also a Hornady unit and once I got the F-Arsenal unit I don't bother with trying to use any of the other hand primers.

I have tried many had priming tools the ones with the round tray give me problems trying to get primers from a square holding tray to the round priming tray. The ones with the priming strips are great but the primers are way too expensive. I like the Lee square tray (what I used to use) because it's easy to pick up the primers from the square holding tray that I buy them in then just flip & it ready to go but the Lee wears out very fast, takes special shell holders & is easily broken.

I recently found the Lyman hand priming tool it's made solid fits my hand like a glove, takes the square holding trays to flip to load & uses the same shell holder that the press takes. I couldn't believe the price was under $50. So that's what I used now the Lyman #7777810 do a search for it you will like it too.

Back