Hand primer recommendations

KCRaider21

I have an older Cabelas brand hand primer that has worked fine in the past for large rifle primers. I am currently loading 5.56 rounds and the bushing guide for the small rifle primer rod will not fit into the shell holder hole. So basically it is a pain in the butt to get the primers lined up to seat them. I’m thinking I’ll just try to buy a new hand primer. Does anyone have a recommendation? Looking for something that works reliably but doesn’t break the bank.

What kind of shooting are you doing? That's my roundabout way of asking if you are willing to go to a lot of trouble to get super-consistent priming or if you are just looking for something that works adequately, or somewhere in between? Do you require primer tray feed, or is picking them up and putting them in one-at-a-time adequate?

I currently use the RCBS Universal hand primer (no shell holders needed). Before that, I used the RCBS hand primer that did use shellholders. I wore it out over 10,000+ rounds, eventually became uncomfortable with the slop in the zinc casting. It still worked. They are in mid-price point range.

Last edited:
The RCBS universal hand priming tool is pretty good, with the universal jaws, you sometimes have to wiggle the case to get everything lined up, but works consistent. Lee has a fairly small bench mount primer that is decent as well, but the square/triangular shape primer tray is PITA at times as well, have to tap the tray to get primers to feed, etc. Some of the parts on the LEE are plastic, and can break. I think the RCB universal is more trouble free but if you have "aged" hands, joints will start to hurt.

My old RCBS tended to leave tool marks in softer primers (like a smile on the flat surface).
Bench primers may be "better" in theory. Do you need one? I decided I did not. However. I do have Lyman turret press priming arm and an un-used Lee priming die, in case I cant find my hand primer.

What kind of shooting are you doing? That's my roundabout way of asking if you are willing to go to a lot of trouble to get super-consistent priming or if you are just looking for something that works adequately, or somewhere in between? Do you require primer tray feed, or is picking them up and putting them in one-at-a-time adequate?
I’m just a casual shooter and loading mostly for target shooting with my boys. I prefer a tray and not having to load the primers one at a time.

I have used my RCBS hand primer that uses shellholders for the past 35 years, and it's holding up well.

Don

KCRadier21,

In that case the RCBS tool recommended above should serve you well. You can also get the Lee hand priming tools for less money, but expect not to have them last as long.

I'll change the unanimous vote and offer up the Frankford Arsenal Perfect Seat Hand Primer. Nothing against RCBS at all, I've just never used it. FA Perfect Seat comes with all case holders, large and small priming ram, and adjusts by .001" increments to dial in your perfect seating depth.

That said, in this day and age you're better off buying what you find in stock.

I have an older Cabelas brand hand primer that has worked fine in the past for large rifle primers. I am currently loading 5.56 rounds and the bushing guide for the small rifle primer rod will not fit into the shell holder hole. So basically it is a pain in the butt to get the primers lined up to seat them. I’m thinking I’ll just try to buy a new hand primer. Does anyone have a recommendation? Looking for something that works reliably but doesn’t break the bank.
I don't think Cabela's makes anything...just sells stuff. Do you mean a Lee hand primer that you bought from Cabela's?

If it was Lee's, I have been using Lee's hand primer devices since when they had those screw-on shell holders and each single primer had to be put into it by hand. They have always worked for me, but would eventually wear-out. The single primer device that used their proprietary shell holders would eventually crack where the holder went into the body. The Lee Auto Primes would wear-out in the knuckle linkage. I would just buy another. There has been some bad reviews for the square (Triangle?) shaped primer reservoir hand primer device.

Last edited:
Not to derail but Marco call RCBS. About the only thing left that is original on my hand primer is the handle. They replaced all the internals under warranty after ten years and God only knows how many thousand primers

Cabela's did use some house labeled brands. I have an old Cabela's rifle scope that was made by Nikko Sterling.
So it is possible there was a Cabela's branded hand primer. Also possible it was made by Lee, or even Midway (also a house brand).
About RCBS, I ended up with many shellholders and was not comfortable with it. I do not want to rebuild it free. I was looking for a better product, still RCBS. The Universal is fine.

I'll change the unanimous vote and offer up the Frankford Arsenal Perfect Seat Hand Primer. Nothing against RCBS at all, I've just never used it. FA Perfect Seat comes with all case holders, large and small priming ram, and adjusts by .001" increments to dial in your perfect seating depth.

This, especially if you have arthritic hands.

I have used a RCBS hand primer for 3 decades and still have it and it still works well. Few years back I bought a RCBS bench primer and just love it. I use the tray for the handprimer to orientate primers in the right direction and then load the primers from the tray.

Another vote for the Frankford Arsenal Perfect Seat Hand Primer.

In the "not to break the bank" department, I've been using a Lee hand primer ever since I started reloading (and I don't remember just when that was -- maybe 15 years ago?). It still works perfectly.

Lee has revised the design since I bought mine, so it now takes a full tray of primers, and it has some kind of step thingie that's intended to prevent double feeds. I haven't tried the new design, but if it's as good as the old one -- it's certainly affordable.

Another vote for the Lee hand primer. Mine has worked fine for the past 6 years or so. No double feeds, and if you start with the primers properly oriented nine will be installed upside down.

Looking at Lee New Auto Prime Hand Priming Tool and the RCBS Hand Priming Tool side by side it looks like the Lee still uses the proprietary type shell holders while the RCBS flavor the standard shell holders.

I still have and use my old round tray Lee and also use an RCBS. Both work fine with very little effort. Just keep in mind when buying a Lee make sure you get the shell holder(s) you need. Seems at Midway neither is in stock. The Lee looks to be about half the price of the RCBS. The Lee shell holders can be bought as a set which includes all the most popular ones.

Just about any of them out there will get the job done safely and effectively.

Ron

I have used a RCBS Universal primer since I started reloading.
After about 6 years, I bought another one so I didn't have to switch the plunger for small and large primers.
I have seated over 53,000 primers between the two of them with no issues.

I don't think Cabela's makes anything...just sells stuff. Do you mean a Lee hand primer that you bought from Cabela's?

If it was Lee's, I have been using Lee's hand primer devices since when they had those screw-on shell holders and each single primer had to be put into it by hand. They have always worked for me, but would eventually wear-out. The single primer device that used their proprietary shell holders would eventually crack where the holder went into the body. The Lee Auto Primes would wear-out in the knuckle linkage. I would just buy another. There has been some bad reviews for the square (Triangle?) shaped primer reservoir hand primer device.
Yes it is branded as Cabelas although I’m sure it was made by some other manufacturer.

Back