Halloween Precautions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have tons of kids everywhere, it's fun passing out candy. We usually sit out on the porch with the dogs, I'll drink too much and start witty banter with the parents while my wife passes out candy to little kids in superhero costumes. If football is on I have that playing on a laptop outside.

After all the kids have gone home I'll stand around outside on the street with my neighbors and generally BS. I'm not a cop but we have 3 on my street (one of which lives directly across from me), so no real issues seem to ever present themselves.

You guys are over the top with this stuff. Have fun, pass out candy, and don't draw down on the kids! Be armed if you like, keep your situational awareness, and lighten up. It's just another day and should require nothing out of your ordinary for you to survive through this night. Geesh.

You guys are over the top with this stuff. Have fun, pass out candy, and don't draw down on the kids! Be armed if you like, keep your situational awareness, and lighten up.

...or to quote Sgt. Hulka in the movie Stripes:

"Lighten up Frances". :D:D

I agree, we sit outside and pass the candy an shoot the bull with the parents. We average between 150-200 kids a year and it still cracks us older folks the goofy costumes they have now, or was it our generation that had the goofy costumes. :D

I once saw a house had a box of candy outside note said please take one. Would be a good way to not have to answer the door.

I once saw a house had a box of candy outside note said please take one. Would be a good way to not have to answer the door.

When I was young (back in the 60's) we went to the county fair once on Halloween. My father did what you described, put a box of candy in front of the door with a sign that said "Please take ONE".

Our neighbor told us that a little girl came by right after we left and emptied the box into her basket, one at a time!

On a side note, i was just down at the Sheriff's picking up a purchase permit, and noticed that it is illegal for any sex offender in NC to hand out candy or decorate their house for Halloween. :D

As for me, my security plan is the same as any other night.

As a further precaution I purchased three more bags of candy. It seems one bag has been mysteriously opened, and wrappers left radnomly about for several days. I blame the dogs. :rolleyes:

Turn out all the lights, close all the shades, and hide in the back room cleaning the guns. :eek:

On a much more serious note not very many children around here so I'm just going to ignore the door and watch a scary movie on the TV.:)

Small neighborhood few kids

I do keep something loaded handy on a just-in-case basis, but the level of paranoia that I'm reading here just staggers me. We always keep some candy handy, sometimes we get kids most times not, and have always loved giving it out. I don't even mind the occasional enterprising teenagers. It's a lovely holiday, keep some perspective.

Technically speaking, Halloween is a perfect opportunity for home invasion. However, I don't really prepare for it, just keep my normal CCW on me, and Claymores at the ready. :D

Watch out for kids coming to your house asking for candy they could be casing your house for when they grow up. No need to really take an extra precautions. Just enjoy the night. Where i live parents pull trailers of kids behind their ATV's. Its a lot of fun

1. Load the candy into the bowl
2. Aim to please and be friendly
3. Squeeze out a genuine smile every time a child comes to your door.

:)

Trick or treaters do not scare me. Besides I have a way of seeing who is at the door. Now the two adorable little robbers that empty my wallet ever time they have Girl Scout cookies scare the heck out of me.:p

Watch out for kids coming to your house asking for candy they could be casing your house for when they grow up

:D That one made me smile. The level of paranoia in some posts in this thread is amazing.

We wish we got some kids coming by on Halloween. We live on a street with no sidewalks and minimal streetlights, so parents take their kids elsewhere.
The first couple years we were here we bought lots of candy and ended up eating it all ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back