Guns We Regret Parting With, Glad We Parted With, Glad We Almost Parted With But Are Glad We Kept

I've sold about 10 15-2's over the last 42 years, and in 2006 I bought my 715 and since then I've bought 2 15-2's. They are pretty much the last guns I will ever sell, with the 715 being the very last. Best deal I've ever gotten on a gun, period.

When we moved to VA 17 years ago I sold my Mini 14, Mini 30, and my S&W model 39. The Mini 14 had a factory folding stock which is fairly uncommon. The Mini 30 was a 1.75 MOA shooter and a good reliable deer rifle. And that model 39 was just a reliable very accurate shooter, I once shot a coyote in the head at 65 yds. It did take two shots though, just missed on the first one.

Even though I sold or traded them for legitimate reasons, I still regretted losing almost all of them at one time or another.

For purely financial reasons the one I regret the most is the S&W model 547 9mm revolver that I bought new and traded off pretty quickly. The one that didn't use moon clips and had a total production run of around 10,000.

For sentimental reasons, I regret selling the Ruger single-six that was my first handgun.

I was happy to be rid of the S&W 659 9mm. Never did feel good in my hand.

Sold an 870 Wingmaster cause I needed the money. The 870 Express that replaced it is every bit as functional, but just no where near the same gun. Gave up a Ruger Single Six to settle a debt that was much less than the value of the gun in 1982, never mind now. But at the time I didn't really have a choice or anything else of value. Life's a bitch sometimes.

Regret giving up both of them, and have never sold or traded a gun since.

I've parted ways with very few guns in my life. The one I am most happy about was a Lorcin .380

The one I have the most mixed emotions about was a Llama .380 - one of the early (good) ones that was essentially a mini-1911. But I gave that one to one of my nieces, and it helped to foster in her a desire to become active in shooting sports. She has since gone on to compete at Camp Perry. So that one was a bittersweet parting.

Other than those, I wish I had kept the Cobra and Woodsman.

Back