Guns We Regret Parting With, Glad We Parted With, Glad We Almost Parted With But Are Glad We Kept

I've sold 2 and regret them both

686 6". Bought it used to hunt deer. Cocked the hammer to take a nice buck and it malfunctioned. The cylinder didn't lock up, just spun freely. I was in my early 20's pissed at it and instead of taking it to a gunsmith I sold it for $300. It was nice otherwise.

Second was a Colt HBAR I sold to fund the new collapsible stock tacticool rage over 20 years ago for $800. It had about 100 rounds through it otherwise NIB.

I wish I had them both back.

I can't really think of a gun that I've traded or sold that I've missed. Fastest one I got rid of was my first .45 ACP, a Llama that either jammed or ejected the empty right into my face. Had it a week. The other one that I miss the least is a Rohrbaugh 9mm; jammed routinely and the take down method required three hands, two feet, and other anatomical parts.

I parted with a blued 6" Security Six a very long time ago. If I remember correctly, it was for an even trade on a Belgian Browning Hi-Power. I love the BHP, but I do miss that revolver.

I traded a CZ75B for a 5.5" Ruger Redhawk 44mag. Sort of miss that CZ, but not that much.

Sold a S&W 4586. Wish I would of kept it. Great gun, but it felt like I was curling a Subaru after a while.

I WAS HAPPY TO PART WITH:

- S&W M&P 9 (horrid accuracy)
- Saiga 7.62 (not an AK47 fan)
- Glock 22 (not a 40 S&W guy)
- Browning Buckmark Camper (decent gun, just prefer my Ruger MKIV)

A Colt .22 Frontier Scout I bought new in 1959 - fired perhaps 2 dozen times - in original box with original receipt. Kept for 25+ years and then traded for some meaningless junk. Wish I had it to pass down to the kids. Also a J C Higgins .22 rifle I bought from Sears approx 1950 with my lawn mowing earnings - my brother got it for $2.

history

I traded a nice M27 with counter sunk chambers for a M29 , and traded the M29 for my first "tactical" style rifle, and I wish I had both of those revolvers back. I sold a steel framed 1911 brushed nickel .45 Commander, and I wish I had that one back too.

I initially traded a Dan Wesson for the M27, and was glad to get rid of it. Accurate when the barrel gap was set correctly, but the lock work gave me fits.

Gone and not missed at all:

Colt Combat Commander, for a long time, the most expensive gun I ever bought. A total piece of junk. Never should have made it out the door. Colt "fixed it" twice, and never got it working right. Sold it to some Colt fanboi who didn't seem to care it wasn't reliable.
FTL Auto-Nine. Neat little .22LR that blew extractors.

Taurus 83, my very first gun, and the worst one I ever had. Made the Colt look good.

AMT Back-UP .45. My trigger finger would be dead just putting one mag through it. On top of the insanely stiff trigger, it would have light primer strikes. A gunsmith got it working 100% but it still had a super stiff trigger.

AMT Hardballer Longslide. Just bad enough I wanted it gone. Killed any love, and there wasn't much, that I had for 1911's.

And all the other brand new turds I bought from about 1981 until 1989. So many bad new guns, while the used ones were great.

Gone and missed a lot:
Colt Python. So pretty, but got a nice price for it, and I didn't trust it after the hand broke in it soon after I bought it. End of my Colt ownership, period.

S&W 28. With an action job and a target hammer and trigger. Just a great gun, with enough "Patina" to show it had been a cop's duty gun at one time. Showed up on Gunbroker about 6 years ago, but I was outbid on it to the point I let the other guy have it.

S&W 4506. A PD trade in that was in almost mint condition. Had all the paperwork, including a slip showing the officer and badge number it was issued to. Found him in 30 seconds online. I sold it for a nice profit, but instantly regretted it.

Browning BDA 380. First 100% reliable semiauto I ever owned. I bought one again a couple of years ago, a PD trade in, it's not nearly as pretty as the old one was, but it eats anything just like that one did.

H&K P7. Why did I sell it? I needed money and I got a lot for it. Never had a chance to replace it while the trade in ones were sanely priced, so I still don't have one.

S&W 5906, 6906, 4006TSW, and several other 3rd gen S&W's. I loved them, but I needed the cash.

I traded a CZ P07+$50.00 cash for a CZ75B that had a very nice trigger. Didn't shoot it as good as my SA version and regretted letting the P07 go. Then I traded the CZ75B+$50.00 cash for a practically new Ruger GP100-4", polished the internals, put in a Wolf spring kit, and installed a shim kit and am extremely happy with the final result of trading off the P07. The GP100 is a keeper for sure.

Regrets, 1st would be my S&W CS9, blued, in box, 5 mags and nice thin custom grips.
2nd regret is custom built charter arms revolver with custom serial number. Sold it when in serious financial trouble, and the buyer now a few years later won't sell it back to me. Oh, and wish I had my beretta nano 9mm back too.
Not regret: two come to mind immediately, a kel-tec p3at and a sig p250. I hated both those guns. But in defense of both manufacturers, love my p32 and my sig p226.
Almost regret? My S&W sd9 in fde, with apex trigger. I traded it away and immediately thought "that was a dumb idea", and bought it back. Still have it. Super simple gun that's crazy reliable and dirt cheap.

I won't normally sell a gun that I really like, so I don't have any real regrets. As illustrated below, I did trade away two pretty nice handguns that I very quickly replaced with superior examples, so that doesn't really count, IMHO.

My first two centerfire revolvers were humble: a Taurus Model 66 and a Taurus Model 85. By chance they both had very nice triggers and never malfunctioned. I had them for 10-12 years apiece and they were both stolen when my home was burglarized. :(

I did trade a plain-jane GI 1911 that worked just fine. I replaced it with a nicer 1911 (better sights, nice beavertail) that cost less money, so no regrets there. In the same trade I also let go my SAR polymer copy of a compact CZ75. However, I replaced it with a nicer example (stainless slide) for only $20 more than the original cost me, so again there were no regrets. (They were both traded towards and nice S&W 629.)

I have bought a lot of inexpensive handguns that I didn't like for one reason or another and traded towards something else. No big deal. My most disappointing handgun was a NiB Ruger LCRx in 22lr. The trigger was dreadful and I couldn't hit the side of a barn with it. I had high hopes for it, but it got traded towards something else.

"1907 Swede 6.5x55"

I would wonder if I had yours, but I got mine from a big box store that was selling a big batch of them for something like $99 apiece after the Berlin Wall fell.

Last edited:
In search of the perfect pistol, I have parted with (and still would like to have): Beretta 92FS, H&K USP .40, Sig P229 .40, S&W Model 10, S&W Model 29, Taurus .44 special ultralite. If I were not a public servant I would still have them.

I am glad I got rid of: Taurus .22 revolver (unreliable), para-ordnance double stack .45 with a 3" barrel (unreliable), S&W 439 (hula-hoop sized groups at 15 yards), Ruger LCR .38 (just, ouch).

Regret....1952 Belgian Mauser made for Saudi Arabia in 30.06, 03A3 Remington, M1 Carbine. I’m sure there are others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have never gotten rid of a handgun. I have sold a Rem M700 that I bought about 1970. It was horrible.

I have given away several, but I don't regret parting with any of them because the ones I gave them to either really needed it or really wanted it.

Biggest regret is leaving my Browning Hi Power in Vietnam when my tour was up. The story then told was that "they" were searching our hold baggage when we Deros'd home after our tours...total BS as it turned out, but I wasn't willing to bet my career on getting caught with a personal sidearm enroute to the CONUS. As it turned out, I came home with red clay embedded in my fingers, 20 lbs. lighter, and no Purple Heart...I was successful and will be eternally grateful. But....

That Browning had kept me company for 9 months or so, in the bunkers, and slit trenches, in the cockpit, and through months of nights without sleep. I'd give a lot to see it again, and hope the heck the next guy was as fond of it as I was.

Best Regards, Rod

I don't even want to think about it, my Bro reminds me everyday. I have bought, sold and traded guns into the thousands. Worst mistake I ever made was trade off a 3 barrel O/U
SxS 16g / 8mm R. I had practically nothing in the gun. I was in 7th grade and traded a kid a Rem 510 for it. I thought I was a big time trader. I traded it to a shop for about $600 worth of guns and ammo in 1964. Turned out it was worth $2K back then. I could never afforded to own all the guns I have and had if I kept them all.

Something tells me the original intent of the op question was intended for feedback from those who don't make a living out of selling firearms but rather regret the sales of those they have in years past sold.

I regret needing to sell my:

6 inch Colt Python
8 3/8 inch model 29 in walnut presentation case
WW1 .30 Luger
original 92 Winchester .38-40
original 73 Winchester 44-40 military musket

But sometimes in a young man's life, baby beds, pediatricians, orthodontists, etc come before guns.:(

Regret: Contender in 30 Herrett and Browning High Power.

No regrets: Kahr K9, I could never get use to the trigger.

I have since replaced the High Power and won’t part with it again.

I no longer sell guns due to having so many regrets over those I parted with. The ones I regret selling the most are those that I sold during The Great Divorce Sale, including such gems as a 1941 US Property Colt, a near perfect 1918 vintage Remington-UMC and a S&W M28-2 that I had picked up for a song and used to shoot my first wild hog.

Don't even get me started on the rifles I sold at the same time.

Back