Guns We Regret Parting With, Glad We Parted With, Glad We Almost Parted With But Are Glad We Kept

JDBerg

My biggest regret is the S&W Model 27-2 that I bought back when they were cheap, and now that I want another one these are going for crazy money.

The 2 that I’m glad I parted with are the .40 S&W Gen4 22 and the Tutone CZ 75B

The one I almost traded off for nothing but am glad I didn’t is the Gen3 17, that gun only needed WC Vickers Elite sights and an APEX Enhanced Trigger package, and it’s now one of my favs.

Your Turn

Parted and regretted- Ruger No.1 RSI in .243; Marlin 39A, 1907 Swede 6.5x55, Ithaca M37

Parted with no regrets - Ruger 10/22, CMP Garand, Browning 26" O/U

Almost got rid of-Rem Model 7 in 7-08

I almost traded off a 3rd Gen S&W Model 457. Darned good shooter and more reliable than a Swiss watch. It'll eat any ammo I feed it with no hiccups.

Lately I've been thinking I wish I had my Walther ppk/s back. Traded for a P22 after Walther replaced the slide after the decocker block cracked. No problems at all with the P22 except it simply doesn't have the character of the ppk/s.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Parted with no regrets:

Zastava EZ9 - worked fine, but the lack of spare parts availability spooked me. Now I have a "real" P226. Single action trigger was good if I remember, and had an interesting combined slide release + decocker.

Police Trade-in Glock 22 Gen 3 - no problems, but was redundant for me. It was my first Glock, and learned from it. I also learned I liked Gen 4 frames a bit better to fit my hand. I have since bought a Gen 3 frame again for use in another project.

Believe it or not, a Taurus 450 in 45 Colt. It would have been a great gun with a 3 inch barrel but it was a 4 inch with porting. It fit in a S&W K frame holster and carried 5 rounds. The trigger worked well and the fit was very good, the finish was mid grade but it was a great gun, sold it to fund something else. IIRC it is defending some guy in a wheelchair.

Not sure I regret selling but the replacement is great; a Ruger competition model MkII that was replaced by a Colt Woodsman. That Woodsman is a great gun, much better than any MkII

I've probably done more "gittn rid of" rifles and shotgun than handguns, but since this is the Handgun forum I won't mention those here.

Regretted selling or trading off? almost everything I ever did, at least briefly at some point.

Don't regret? A pair of Llamas, one DA 357 that would reliably fire only 4 of six and not always the same 4 :eek: and a .45 Auto that would eject 3-5 of seven, and again not always the same ones.

Both went to people who were AWARE of their issues.

Parted with with no regrets:

High Standard Duramatic. It was a jamomatic. After a lot of work on the magazine I got it to feed relatively reliably, but it really never was even a reasonable substitute for the High Standard Victor my dad had when I was growing up.

Ruger 10/22SS. Sold it to get a take-down 10/22 and never felt badly about not keeping it.

Regret-A really nice Glock 19..now I carry a Glock 26 with 15R mag but see I could carry that G-19.

Glad-Ruger LCP, Ruger LC9..both pain to shoot for me..literally..thumb and wrist 'damage'.

Still have, almost didn't-Glock 17..see above..had to decide which to keep, Glock 17 or 19..glad I kept the -17..

If we're keeping this to handguns only, I don't regret parting with any of the ones that have gone down the road. In fact, the only gun I sort of regret getting rid of was a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in .260 Rem, and even that wasn't a great gun (objectively).

Gone and never missed? Everything that said Ruger or Glock on it. A 6" S&W 629-1, a 4" S&W 19-5, a 4" S&W 15-3, a Kel-Tec PF-9 grip-pain maker, a stainless Colt Competition in .38 Super, surely others I've forgotten.

In the end it's just stuff and can be replaced.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Parted with:
Walther PPK/s - no regrets. I loved it until I shot it. Then it chewed my hand up terribly....sold it for what I paid for it.

Two pristine S&W Model 19's.
Part of me regrets charging the low price I charged the buyers, but, they were friends and/or associates & needed a gun badly - one that worked well.
I had no use for them - so - gone..

My go to question -if/when I sell or trade anything is:
Do I like it? Yes? or No?
If it's --"No" - it's gone.

If it's "yes", then my next question is:
"What will it cost to replace it & will I be willing to spend that much later on"?

The answer to that is situational.....

Biggest regret was trading away an original Remington Model 7 (18.5" bbl) in .243. I thought I didn't need it because I already had another one just like it in .260. Ok, I really didn't need it but still - should have kept it. Biggest relief to trade off was a CZ52 that I picked up in another trade. That was the most unergonomic handgun I have ever held.

Wish I kept my H&K P7, Sig 225 9mm, and my 1975 Python...(new in the box for $350)

Glad I got rid of my first gen Sig Mosquito .22 that jammed every 3rd or 4th round regardless of ammo type.

Miy biggest regret is a S&W 686 with a 6" barrel. At the time I sold it, it was never used because the barrel was "too long" and I did not shoot it much.

I had purchased it very cheaply and sole it likewise. aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh.

I now have a 686+ 3" and totally enjoy it.

My biggest regret is the S&W Model 27-2 that I bought back when they were cheap, and now that I want another one these are going for crazy money.

The 2 that I’m glad I parted with are the .40 S&W Gen4 22 and the Tutone CZ 75B

The one I almost traded off for nothing but am glad I didn’t is the Gen3 17, that gun only needed WC Vickers Elite sights and an APEX Enhanced Trigger package, and it’s now one of my favs.

Your Turn

Most I've "re-homed" I'm well rid of. My personal hoard is in constant slow churn.

Gladdest they're gone: FIE .38 derringer, Jennings J-22. Charter Arms version of the AR-7 (unreliable). Charter Undercover (ate transfer bars). CZ-100 (troublesome, not reliable, never in 5 years did it get "off probation").

Kind-a wished I'd kept: either Bulgarian milsurp Makarov. I did OK on the trades, but I kind-a wish I still had one. Taurus Model 66. It had "issues" but I wonder now if it wasn't a firing pin problem or peening somewhere in that train.

Glad I didn't: was tempted once to trade off the S&W 19-4, factory nickle, 4".

Regret
Beretta Tomcat and then later a Tomcat Inox edition.

These were too thick for pocket carry and too small for belt carry but I really really liked those guns and wish I had not parted with them.

Is the Tupperware objectively better? Probably but its also without soul.

The rest are all just "ehh" and is what it is.

Regrets; Beretta AR-70, 5.56 prior to the Bush ban. Should have kept it... $$$ !
Also, I had a number of vintage lever action Winchesters in the late 80's, early 90's... foolishly sold them, ... in .38-55, .32-40, .30-30, .32 Spl., .308, Got them all pretty cheap back then. Should have kept those!!!
Guns I'm glad I got rid of? 3 different Glocks.

Regret: S&W Mod 27 4", Colt Python 4", Colt Detective Special, Belgian Hi Power, Colt Gold Cup...
I didn't have disposable cash, so I had to sell one to get one.

Regrets? But oh where to start. Here are a few:

4 Colt Single Action Armies
Ruger 7-1/2" flattop .44 mag.
S&W 8-3/8" M27 in it's wooden case
Belgian Browning .375 H&H mag
Colt Gold Cup
Ruger ss 6-1/2" single six with mag cylinder
Two Ruger #3s
Win M70 .458 Win mag

I'll stop here as I'm starting to tear up.

Back