Guns Of The Mountain Men

HiBC,

I suppose it's got to be at least 6-7 years ago now (maybe more; years seem as months these days sometimes), that Cache La Poudre had that really neat shop in downtown Ft. Collins. And a few years ago (maybe a couple more) my wife and I were walking main street Ft. Collins (visiting the area from Northern Wyoming), and while she was in that great kitchen shop there, I went down the street a little ways to hang out in Cache La Poudre. Right where I remembered I thought it was, it wasn't. I walked into a sandwich shop there and asked the young gal as to what happened to the gunshop. She said it used to be right here...death in the family, I was told. It's hard to see those places gone now; like Old West Arms in Denver. I've got a Lee mould I bought from OWA back in the mid-80's, a .530 single cavity. Much the worse for wear, it still drops a good r.b. Literally thousands have gone through that thing. the price sticker, though quite faded, still says, Old West Arms on the box I still keep it in.

I remember the Cherry Corners stuff, too. Didn't Ithaca end up with that company when they had their Hawken offering? The Buckskin Report was the meeting place for all things Hawken back in the 70's and 80's, and that's pretty good history, too, if you have the literature.

I built a southern mt. rifle for my wife back in '77, and its got a Hall Sharon barrel on it in .45 cal., a great shooter still (my wife AND her rifle). I believe Mr. Sharon was up in Kalispell, MT. I've also got a southern mt. rifle I built in the mid-80's with a 1" Getz barrel on it with the round bottomed rifling. Another shooter, certain sure. My old .45 flint long rifle I mentioned in an earlier post has a Green River Rifle Works barrel on it, and it's still a top notch shooter after 40+ years, and lots and lots (and lots) of loadings. All the guns I've built have Silers on them, flint and percussion, both; the standard back then, and the standard still (IMO). I still have a parts price list that has a little note from Bud Siler on it, and it's one of my prized nostalgia bits from the past...priceless.

The air was magic back in those days; the shoots, the rendezvous and the comradery. A fine thing that I was so fortunate to be a part of back then.

BTW, my .53 cal. Hawken was one of those Jed Smith commemorative, Santa Fe Hawkens. It was completely redone by a fine rifle builder friend of mine, whom I got into a trade with. Needless to say, it was a good trade, and I've got the Hawken. I've shown that rifle to quite a few people through the past years, and not one could guess it was a Santa Fe; another really fine gun, that will always be a keeper. The inscription and number that the rifle had on it, regarding the Jed Smith model, was filed off for authenticity's sake. My friend who re-worked the gun said it looked too funky to leave on it. This past year, my good friend who built my Hawken, passed away. My wife and I miss him very much; a true artisan, mechanic, and historian who built rifles (and anything else he'd put his mind to) literally up until he made the Journey home.

Thanks for the memories revisited, HiBC. And to ratshooter, too, thanks again for this great thread...more than likely not done yet...

reinert

There is an old saying I ran across many years ago that sums up what makes threads like this and stories about the past so interesting to us.

What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream.—T. K. Whipple, Study Out the Land

And for me that sums it up. Its easy for us to read a book or watch a movie or documentary about the past and think "Boy I wish I lived back then". But its easy to glorify the rugged past and minimize the attendant hardships and dangers. Starvation was possible. A small injury could be fatal from infection. Your kids dying at a young age was a real possibilty, that is if you were lucky enough to have a wife and have her along with you. The chances of a bear attack and the real possibility of an Indian attack.

Thats why we live what they dreamed. A better life for ourselves and our kids is a constant dream. The past they lived was a rough difficult existence but what a life of freedom they had and that what sparks me the most.

Live where you want. Travel when and where you want. Almost no laws except your nature of right or wrong. No taxes and no one to answer to.

Del Gue: I ain't never seen 'em, but my common sense tells me the Andes is foothills, and the Alps is for children to climb! Keep good care of your hair! These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here! And there ain't no priests excepting the birds. By God, I are a mountain man, and I'll live 'til an arrow or a bullet finds me. And then I'll leave my bones on this great map of the magnificent...

Last edited:
I am guessing everyone here saw the "Revenant" movie. What did you folks think of it? I liked the guns and the battle scene at the beginning but the fact that they changed the story so much sort of spoiled it for me. They had to potential to beat out Jeremiah Johnson but lost it because of the change from history to fiction. At least for me I didn't like it as much for that reason.So what did you all think?

Here is the IMDB page and they only list three guns. A Pedersoli pistol, a custom Pennsylvania rifle that had the barrel cut down and Brown Bess rifles cut to carbine length. I have always wondered if original rifles that went to the mountains may have been cut down to make them a little more portable.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/The_Revenant_(2015)

Last edited:
I did not watch Revenant.The trailer was interesting.

The Hollywood celeb types ,such as Mr deeCarpio certainly may have different opinions than I do,no problem.
When they use their celebrity to leverage those opinions into imposing their politics, I tend to keep my wallet in my pocket.
deeCarpio flies around in his private jet telling me what sacrifices I need to make. I do not feed that dog.

I got long winded in my response and timed out.

I wrote of the locals,such as Mike "Broken Butt"McCormick and the local buckskinners being part of the movie "Mountain Men" and the mini series "Centennial"
This town is now around 200,000 . In 1966,it was around 40,000. I recalled the names of the Gunsmiths and shops...Claude,Sarge,Dave, Louie,Glenn,Fletch,Frank,Cactus Jack,Buckhorn,Timberline,Mike...the indoor range at the high school I attended,the great county range we had,in town trap range. The Old Man mentors...the open ground and freedom.
It was OK to be a kid on a bike with a rifle or shotgun slung across your back.
"There is a kid keeping out of trouble"
Those Old Men are gone. Now I'm one of them....but they were in their time.

The fur trade did not last long. Time passed those guys by. They did not fit anymore,except for the indignity of "The Wild West Show"

It occurs to me,like the Mountain Man,60's and 70's Colorado,I lived something
thats gone.

Movies? Last night I said to a young man" It amazes me how many younger folks have never seen "Easy Rider","American Graffitti",or "Forrest Gump"

He just gave me a blank look.He had not seen them,either. Not epic films,but some Americana.

For the younger folks...I don't know..my grandparents,parents(Both No Africa/Italy Veterans)and myself pretty much spanned the 20th Century.

WW2 ,for younger folks,is rapidly becoming as far away from their experience and relevance,as the Civil War of the previous Century was for me.

Cowboys,trail drives...blinks in history.Time moved by.

I still don't use a cell phone

Last edited:
Great post HiBC. And I don't like the hollywood types telling me how to live anymore than I would put up with that goofball in NY telling me how big a Coke I can drink. If I want a Route 44 with 44oz of Coke thats my business. I have heard the Kennedy's wouldn't let then put up wind turbines near their northern retreat because they spoil the view. They wanted them somewhere they couldn't see them. And I agree. They are ugly. But nobody asked me where I thought they should be. I hate seeing them when I go to west Tx marching down I-20. What an eyesore.

And you didn't miss much on the Revenant movie. They took a very good story about a mans survival and made a bedtime story out of it. It would have been better if I hadn't know the real story.:mad:

Last edited:
The Snake River Plains in Idaho used to be the Old West and still looked like it until they filled it with those unsightly wind-generators.

Back