Guns and Lead

well from just looking at the numbers the cdc put out, one would think we are down to safe levels even with the normal contamination form shooting... normal i say, which begs the question who's normal shooting.... but at any rate, when compared to levels when we used leaded fuel; even the highest doses are now safe. i guess it's all about perspective after all.

Aren't those the same people who made something like 30%+ of the country "morbidly obese" over night because they changed their BMI (body mass index) scale??:rolleyes:

This is a prime example of a logical fallacy!

This is an example of Post hoc ergo propter hoc: This is a conclusion that assumes that if 'A' occurred after 'B' then 'B' must have caused 'A.' It's like saying Halloween causes Thanksgiving. Hey, every year we have Halloween and then Christmas happens. They gotta be related.

Makes me crazy.

Life is good
Prof Young

The phrase to remember, though tis a bit cumbersome, is "Correlation is not Causation".

Set your parameters wide enough and anything that happens can be correlated (co-related) meaning there is some kind of link between them.

That link can be as tenuous as "both happened on earth" or "they both happened on a day that ends in "y"....but some degree of correlation does exist.

However, some things only stretch so far....

One of the key words is "therefore"...no matter what the claim, everything after the word "therefore" is, and should be suspect.

Another word is "but"....which has a similar use, but in the opposite direction, where everything before the word "but" is essentially dismissed as not relevant...

SO, back to lead, which is a naturally occurring substance in our environment. There are levels where it causes detectable harm. Then there are levels where it "could be harmful" and levels that "cause concern". And levels where no detectable harm is caused.

Every substance known to man, including those necessary for life have such levels. What varies is the amount of exposure needed to qualify for each level.

5Whiskey said:
I reload and I cast lead projectiles. I am concerned about lead exposure from aspects of those activities, for both me and my kids.

When mine were small, that was my concern. I had dedicated range shoes that didn't come into the house.

I would take lead dust in a home with a small child with a growing and developing brain seriously. On the other hand the Army Corps cleaning up the part of lake Erie over which trap shooters pointed for decades. They dredged it so we could be safe from all those little lead pellets. If you know anything about lake Erie, you know that after more than a century of intense industrial activity, taking the pellets off the bottom leaves it far from safe.

Aguila Blanca said:
I believe the primary culprit was the sweeping of the floor on competition night.

Most of the reasons I avoid indoor ranges are hedonic, but when I lived in the city, I did use them. Not inhaling some lead in that environment would be a neat trick, but pushing a broom through the dust sounds like a perfect storm.

A couple of the older guys at a range I used decades ago had high lead levels, and they were reloaders. Their docs thought it was the brass. Apparently lots of machined metals, brass included have significant lead content. The idea was that if you handle tons of it over time minute amounts accumulate.

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. If there is lead in the alloy and it is sold as brass, you're being cheated.

Back