Gun shops who prohibit concealed carry

Status
Not open for further replies.
disseminator said:
I am 100% within the law in my state to ignore the sign, your state might be different I don't know but it shouldn't be.
And the property owner is 100% within his/her rights to ask you to leave if you ignore the sign, and if you decline to leave after being asked you are then subject to arrest for criminal trespass.

I can certainly understand a gun store owner putting up a sign restricting carrying of weapons. A gun store is a place where firearms and ammunition are in close proximity. Combine that with the bravado that seems to infect many people the instant they walk in the door and it a huge potential liability. Accidental shootings are Palmetto State Armory and recently in Denver are adequate testimony to the fact that having a CCW permit or experience with guns is no guarantee that the safety rules will be followed.

The safety rules for handling a firearm are not inscribed in statute, so the owner of the shop would have to assume that if someone is willing to ignore a sign asking them not to bring a concealed gun into the store they're also willing to ignore the gun safety rules. If you will intentionally ignore a policy there's no reason to believe you wouldn't also negligently ignore the safety rules.

Listening to some of you the anti gun liberals must be right, gun owners are too irresponsible to safely carry weapons in public.

I don't mind a store asking you to keep your handgun holstered, but can't abide the hypocrisy of prohibiting carry altogether. They would not get my business.

Buds doesnt allow concealed or open carry in their store in Lexington, Kentucky.

Went to their store in Sevierville a year or two ago while passing through - no big deal and do not remember a sign. Maybe TN and KY see things differently?

Listening to some of you the anti gun liberals must be right, gun owners are too irresponsible to safely carry weapons in public.

Sadly, that is very true..........

FITASC
Quote:
Buds doesnt allow concealed or open carry in their store in Lexington, Kentucky.

Went to their store in Sevierville a year or two ago while passing through - no big deal and do not remember a sign. Maybe TN and KY see things differently?

im not from Kentucky, i was there for a conference. I was surprised to see the sign. I have never seen a sign here prohibiting carry or even unholstering for that matter.

In Washington state "no guns" signs do not carry any legal weight unless they are posted in areas where carry is legally denied. (courts, airport secure areas, etc.)
I will enter the store just to contact the manager and give him the card. Then I leave.
The corporate head quarters may use profits to fund anti-gun groups or the owner may support local anti-gun legislation. I refuse to spend my money so they can use it against me and others who legally carry.
AARP is another group that pays to fight the rights that are guaranteed by our constitution. I wrote them a letter when they asked me to join and I told them in no uncertain terms why I was not interested. Sure, you can get discounts on a lot of services through AARP but why would I support such a group?

I don't really understand threatening to stop shopping somewhere because of this type of policy. If the customer service and prices are superior then I'll keep shopping there even if they make me wear a pink Tutu when I walk in.

I may also be a bit biased because I live in a state where I'll likely never get a CC permit... unfortunately.

Just be a gentleman and carry your gun concealed-then you won't have a problem.
In general, I find open carry to be obnoxious.
Discretion is a good thing. You don't need to show everyone your gun.

One of the guys at a gun store told me this:
An elderly lady brings her double action revolver back to the store where she had previously purchased it.
She pulls it out of her purse and says she wants to exchange it for something else, because she can't pull the trigger.
All the while she's telling this to the clerk, she's trying mightily to pull the trigger.
While pointing it at the clerk.
The store soon had a new policy about guns in the store.
True story.

I don't understand why someone would support a business the was fighting to remove your rights.

I don't think the intent is to take your rights away. I'm not going to the shop to hang out or make friends. I'm looking to make a purchase and get out. If i can save $50+ I'm going to.

I guess I want to know that the places I spend my money support the things that I also support or at least that they aren't using my money to fight me.
I make friends at the places I spend money. It is good to be friends with the guy that owns the gun store, feed and grain store or lumber yard. These are local people who have had businesses in the same place for a lifetime and some for generations. I do as little shopping as possible at the "big box" corporate stores. When I need something that a place doesn't carry they can get it for me. I like the personal quality of the old country store. The last two guns I bought came with a life-time guarantee. If something goes wrong the shop will replace it at no cost. Can you get that kind of a deal from a big box or corporate store?

I've never come across a store that offered any kind of warranty, big or small. All the stores around here default to the manufacturers warranty.

I'm not walking into, or out of, a gun shop (especially one where I'm shooting at their range) unarmed. It's simply asking for a robbery:
1. Folks know you have a gun in your possession
2. If you've been using the range, they know the type and value of those guns
3. They know you're currently unarmed

Seems silly to patronize an anti-gun dealer, IMHO.

Larry

There are many circumstances where the rights of the people trump those of the "property owner". Gay wedding cakes come to mind...

No, they do not. You do not have to do business with them.

Seems silly to patronize an anti-gun dealer, IMHO.

Anti-gun? By having a gun shop AND a range? Seriously? :rolleyes:

As a business that is open to the public, a business owner is required to follow the law and so cannot just implement any old policy they like.

NOT correct............ You never saw a sign that said "No, shoes, No shirt, No service?".

This has become bickering. Patronize who you want but obey legal proscriptions.

If the proscription doesn't have the force of law (it will if they tell you to leave), you decide if you want to patronize the place.

As far as guarantees (a side issue), my favorite LGS does give a life time one on new and used guns. Your store might be different. That's a shopping point. Another local store is real nasty on such - won't go there.

As far as not going to locales that have ban signs - that's nice except that it would take out most medical facilities here. I ain't dying for the cause.

So to conclude, we've said it all - closed - no need to bicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back