Gun shops who prohibit concealed carry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen it all three ways... no loaded guns, keep them holstered, no signage.

Having seen some pretty wild characters in stores and shows, I kind of see the point of the ban.

Have not seen no carry in gun shops. Most if not all gun shows I've attended it is prohibited .

I've thought this a little hypocritical. Sometimes the people taking admission open carry and ask if I am carrying . But I can buy an AR and a thousand rounds of ammo and carry it around.

I see lots of "concealed" pistols that don't bother me in the least

If you can see the firearm then it isn’t concealed; or the issue is gun owners who do a poor job of concealing their firearms – where a gun is clearly printing or the grip is exposed.

Otherwise, if one is carrying a concealed firearm properly, no one knows he’s carrying a gun – because it’s concealed.

To sooth the savage beasts; what I meant by "impolite" was that an open carrier should take into consideration the establishment they are entering. I hear a lot about Rights-Rights-Rights, but I never seem to read posts/threads about the thought that should go into the calculations on when it might not be proper or smart to open carry. Banks, police stations, and yes, gunshops, might not be the smartest places to waltz into with a visible gun on your hip.

If a business in my area doesn't allow concealed carry I just hand them a card and walk away…

How does the business know you’re carrying a concealed firearm – the fact is the business doesn’t.

The better option would be to continue to patronize that business, to engage with its employees, to pay for the items you've selected – all while carrying a concealed firearm in spite of the business’ ‘policy.’

The Sportsman's Warehouse has a no guns, permit or otherwise policy. Guns must be checked in at the service desk....I abide by their wishes....yeah right!

I ran a gun shop for several years, and the temptation to post no-gun signs was nearly irresistible sometimes.

After the first, second, or 4,574th time someone whips a gun out of their pocket or holster, muzzles half the establishment, claims "it's unloaded," and it turns out to be loaded...yeah, I know why they post those signs. It's not that the proprietor is an anti-gun hoplophobe--he just doesn't want someone to get hurt. The people at fault here are the folks carrying guns with the wrong mindset.

I'm sure most of the people on here wouldn't do something that boneheaded, but we're not the majority of gun owners. Before yelling at the manager or owner of your local shop about the policy, ask him how many ND's he's had on the sales floor and how many times his employees have had to duck because someone waved a loaded gun in their face.

Yes, I'd rather they not feel the need to ban guns from the premises. But the impulse to do so is very understandable.

Guns shops in Utah don't restrict guns, just keep them holstered. Gun shows do NOT allow loaded guns. I have been at a gun show where a gun was discharged. Place went silent. No one was hurt but they looked real stupid.

If a business has a sign that prohibits firearms then I won't do business with them, that's all. Only a jackass brags about ignoring the request of a property owner.

I ran a gun shop for several years, and the temptation to post no-gun signs was nearly irresistible sometimes.

After the first, second, or 4,574th time someone whips a gun out of their pocket or holster, muzzles half the establishment, claims "it's unloaded," and it turns out to be loaded...yeah, I know why they post those signs. It's not that the proprietor is an anti-gun hoplophobe--he just doesn't want someone to get hurt. The people at fault here are the folks carrying guns with the wrong mindset.

I'm sure most of the people on here wouldn't do something that boneheaded, but we're not the majority of gun owners. Before yelling at the manager or owner of your local shop about the policy, ask him how many ND's he's had on the sales floor and how many times his employees have had to duck because someone waved a loaded gun in their face.

Yes, I'd rather they not feel the need to ban guns from the premises. But the impulse to do so is very understandable.

My local gun shop has a policy of: your gun doesn't leave the case or your holster whether it's "loaded" or not unless you are on the firing range.

I support this 100% for all the reasons you mention.

If a business has a sign that prohibits firearms then I won't do business with them, that's all. Only a jackass brags about ignoring the request of a property owner.

Not sure if that was aimed at me since I don't see exercising my rights as being a "jackass". There are many circumstances where the rights of the people trump those of the "property owner". Gay wedding cakes come to mind...

I am 100% within the law in my state to ignore the sign, your state might be different I don't know but it shouldn't be.

Not sure if that was aimed at me since I don't see exercising my rights as being a "jackass". There are many circumstances where the rights of the people trump those of the "property owner". Gay wedding cakes come to mind...

I am 100% within the law in my state to ignore the sign, your state might be different I don't know but it shouldn't be.

My comment wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. I was just reading through the thread and noticed comments about ignoring signs. However, I stand by my remarks. Why shouldn't the owner of a business be able to make whatever rules he wants regarding his property. No one is forcing you to do business there. If a business supports the things I value them they will get my business. If they don't, then why give them my money?

I have no problem with concealed carry, but if I owner a gun shop I might not allow it. As we've seen in countless posts, there is something about a gun shop that brings the moron out in otherwise law abiding people.

The local gun show put up signs after some idiot ND'ed and there was a wounding. The show manager told me that it galled him terribly to put up the sign but insurance required it.

Also, let's not recommend ignoring legally posted and valid signs.

We also don't need to divert to open carry, yet again and again.

My comment wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. I was just reading through the thread and noticed comments about ignoring signs. However, I stand by my remarks. Why shouldn't the owner of a business be able to make whatever rules he wants regarding his property. No one is forcing you to do business there. If a business supports the things I value them they will get my business. If they don't, then why give them my money?

I appreciate your point, but that's not how it works. That's why I mentioned the Gay wedding cake thing. As a business that is open to the public, a business owner is required to follow the law and so cannot just implement any old policy they like.

This was settled when separate bathrooms for the races were banished.

Also, let's not recommend ignoring legally posted and valid signs.

Definitely not. I didn't mean it that way. In my state the signs don't have the force of law so it's no infraction to ignore them. If it was, that would be a different thing altogether.

I have found most people who carry are very law abiding as am I. And as it should be.

No more wedding cake for anyone. Don't need that debate here!!

If the sign has no force of law, then I'm all for leaving it to your discretion.

"...can't trust the people to be safe with them in the store..." How many posts are there about how people handle firearms in shops?
"...Employee of two shops..." Employees are not privy to what their bosses insurance company tells 'em, but it'd be a liability issue. Shop owner will get sued if some bone head kills another customer accidentally and the insurance company will have to pay out on a liability claim. No hypocrisy involved. Insurance companies hate paying claims.
"...seen some pretty wild characters..." A "wild" is being polite.
"...a business in my area..." Like the supermarket?
Lotta shops, up here, won't let you handle any firearm unless you have our stupid licence to possess a firearm. Despite there being no law that requires that. Shop owners and their employees are not allowed to carry a firearm on their person at work either. That cost a bunch of guys their lives during a robbery years ago.

jonnyc said:
I work in a PA gunshop. I see lots of "concealed" pistols that don't bother me in the least, until an idiot quickly pulls it out to fit a holster or show us something. I've given a few prickly warnings to those ignorant folks.
I do have to say I don't really like open carriers walking in the store. I just don't see it as too polite or too smart, given the environment. Cover the damn thing when walking into a gunshop, bank, police station, etc. Hey, just my opinion.
Since you are in PA, surely you must know that open carry is legal without a license to carry (except in Philadelphia). Has it occurred to you that some of those open carry people CAN'T lawfully cover it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back