Gun in the shower paranoid?

Springmom:

Very valid concern. I was working on a method of devising a system to keep the gun dry. I have a detachable towel rack in my shower. I keep two plastic grocery bags (double-bagged) hanging from this rack, with a towel in the bag to support the gun and absorb excess particles of moisture in the air (which, I've observed, doesn't get in there anyway, the water from the shower head entirely misses it.) It doesn't get much steamier in that part of the shower than it does in the rest of the bathroom. FWIW, my bathroom gun is the USP (and suited for harsh conditions), not the 1911. Also, I remove the gun as soon as I am done showering, and the showers I take are neither hot enough nor long enough to really cause an abundance of steam. Some steam, yes. But I definitely keep it away from soap, water, and do my best to protect it against concentrated amounts of water in the air, etc.

John and John: In actuality, my name is also John, and the three of us are in total agreement. :D

That's why I own a Glock and have a Fobus holster mounted to the shower door.
Actually, just kidding. Do whatever you feel you need to do, just try to look at it from another person's point of view. Could you articulate what you are doing and have it make sense? Remember, there is a fine line between cautious and paranoid.

Boys, its like the old timers used to say.
"It's better to HAVE IT and not need it than to need it and not HAVE it."

I keep a peice on a shelf next to the shower between some towels. The towels keep the moisture from getting to the gun. Becuase i am a worrier, I usually keep my Glock there, but have been known to leave a revolver there. the revolver has a carbon steel hammer and trigger and so far they have not rusted.
Glocks are fairly impervious to rust.
In the past, I have seen more corrossion problems in other parts of the house due to cold weather in the winter.
If you use a blue gun, just do what I do, then wait for the steam and such to evaporate and move your gun to a drier area.....

<<<<""Wouldn't having your gun in the shower be bad for the gun? Hot water, soap, steam, getting on/in the gun?

Mine is on the counter when I'm in the bath or shower, but IN THE SHOWER? Seems to me you're taking a risk damaging the gun, but maybe I'm missing something.

?"""<<<<

I have it with me in the bathroom regardless of what I'm doing. I have it in a position where I can get at it within 2 seconds if needed. I don't have it inside the shower with me, but close enough to get at if needed in under those 2 seconds. Hopefully, my German Shephard will give me enough time to get at it and be ready if the SEHTF...

I don't think that is paranoid. When I take a shower, I do not have a gun actually in the shower, byt it is on the bathroom sink counter, which is 37" from the shower stall door.:D

Who says "your turn" won't come when you are in the shower? It is better to be prepared than sorry you weren't - and possibly dead as a result.

LOL. I meant for anyone calling it paranoid or accusing people of paranoia, that paranoia keeps you on your toes thereby keeping you safe. Although I guess it can make some people do some crazy things. A few dictators come to mind.

Are you sure 37" is close enough?;) Maybe you should put it in a ziploc and hang it from the shower head.:D NOW THATS PARANOID!! LOL

Just to drive the last nail in the coffin (or not)

This whole thread was very much on my mind the other day when I got "surprised" in the shower (stall, not part of the bathtub). Thankfully it was the hubster home before I expected. The doors were locked, and while the alarm was not armed, it chimes whenever a window opens or a door opens, and that usually is enough to tell me someone has entered. Dogs were inside and on duty.

And I knew he was there when he walked into the bathroom. Not before. The noise of water running drowns out everything short of an alarm system, apparently. I don't know if the dogs barked, never heard the chime, and apparently didn't even here his usual call of "hello". Had he been a bad guy, I'd have been sunk.:eek:

So the moral of the story is: take a bath instead. :D

Springmom

In the interest of good taste the following should NOT be asked of springmom:

1) In the shower, where do you holster your gun?:rolleyes:

2) Was your husband armed, or was he just happy to see you?:D

3) Did he join you?:p

Serious question, how come your bathroom door wasn't locked?????

PS: I have some relatives in Spring, we visited them a couple of years ago, nice place, although we went in June and it was HOT.

Last edited:
While I think everyone should do what they need to to feel safe, I honestly thought stratus was kidding with his "hidden gun" trick. To each their own but it begs the question, where do you keep your gun when you are making love? You are even more vulnerable at that moment then when taking a shower, so where does the line get drawn for those that carry at all times? Or when you get to the "being armed all the time" stage, is it not even an issue?

where do you keep your gun when you are making love?
Same place I keep it when I sleep. I have a headboard with bookshelves built into it and I keep it there. It has caused some suprise when the headboard was shaking so badly that the gun and spare magazines came flying off the shelf onto the bed during the act (well, it didn't suprise me, at least :D ).

It has caused some suprise when the headboard was shaking so badly that the gun and spare magazines came flying off the shelf onto the bed during the act
i'm stripping away 5 points of ninjatude from you for being so untactical in that you have a headboard. i bet you dont give the springs a weekly drop of breakfree either, do ya, ya untactical nuuby nuub!

real ninjas risk neither life nor limb by engaging in such activities only on concrete flooring with thick carpet padding to mask any possible noises. they also keep one eye focused on the cc video feeds from the various cameras around the home. i bet you dont even have the audio piped in to your wireless headset!

you're so untactical it hurts.

:eek: :D

i'm stripping away 5 points of ninjatude from you for being so untactical in that you have a headboard. i bet you dont give the springs a weekly drop of breakfree either, do ya, ya untactical nuuby nuub!

real ninjas risk neither life nor limb by engaging in such activities only on concrete flooring with thick carpet padding to mask any possible noises. they also keep one eye focused on the cc video feeds from the various cameras around the home. i bet you dont even have the audio piped in to your wireless headset!

you're so untactical it hurts.

Thats the funniest thing I heard all day. :D

real ninjas risk neither life nor limb by engaging in such activities only on concrete flooring with thick carpet padding to mask any possible noises.
I tried that one time with a woman that I was at the bar with. Unfortunately, we took her vehicle back to her place, so I was without my tactical knee pads at the time (lesson learned, never leave your mobile ninja command post more than 200 yards away). Oh, the rug burn. :p
they also keep one eye focused on the cc video feeds from the various cameras around the home. i bet you dont even have the audio piped in to your wireless headset!
Don't need it with the IR laser grid security system that alerts me to anyone within 7 yards of my property line. I can relax while being fully alerted to any threats which can then be dealt with accordingly. Makes you wish you had spent your money on one of those instead of a can, doesn't it? :D
....Just when I think it can't get any worse!!!! You guys are hilarious.
What, you think I'm making up the headboard story?

Don't need it with the IR laser grid security system that alerts me to anyone within 7 yards of my property line. I can relax while being fully alerted to any threats which can then be dealt with accordingly. Makes you wish you had spent your money on one of those instead of a can, doesn't it?
yeah but my system doesnt have me going on all-out alert because the neighbors cat or kid trips the alarms. and 7 yards??? you want me to believe you can slip back into your gear and armor up and deploy weapons in time enough to deal with the supposed threat that is within 21 feet? surely you jest!

my system gives me all the time in the world to prepare. i can even customize my loadout based on the intel my cc video and audio gives me. wheres the 'neener' similie?

Back