Gun for Biking

Minimum weight for a can of bear spray is 8 ounces; that's why cyclists don't tote them outside of serious bear country. They are also about 8 inches long, it's like a canteen that won't quench thirst and expires every 4 years.
Seem to cost about $50, compared to around $15 for quality OC.
This size and weight means hikers also need to buy sturdy holsters for them.

I have pistols that weigh less than 8 ounces, such as the P32, and if I ever did encounter a bear I could get rid of it just be fumbling for my camera.

A small can of OC spray is a nice supplement to the gun, in case somebody stops you and hassles you without lethal force, such as kids and small dogs that you don't feel like killing today.
Get two identical portable cans of OC spray, and practice drawing and hitting targets with one, saving the other for emergencies. Accuracy matters.

Carry whatever gun you like, for the same reasons you would carry anywhere else. Small black fanny packs are common among cyclists, as are black shorts.

Just an OC and a P32.

gb,

Don't want to go all PETA on you, but my experience has been the only problem with dogs is their humans.

We have fostered for a number of years, up to 18 dogs in the house at one point for a while, so my sympathies are with the dogs.

Please don't even consider shooting a dog - there are alternatives.

Granted, cops kill pets commonly after being "threatened". Such officers should not be on a police force if they don't have the simple training on how to deal with a dog without shooting, what happens when this cop confronts a beligerant human?

But I digress.

I am still looking for my optimal carry system.

Blackbook said: A quick note: bear mace, not pepper spray. There IS a difference and regular pepper spray may not work well or at all on a dog depending on breed and body weight

I can tell you from personal experience that Sabre Red will stop a coyote in its tracks

gb, Don't want to go all PETA on you, but my experience has been the only problem with dogs is their humans.

We have fostered for a number of years, up to 18 dogs in the house at one point for a while, so my sympathies are with the dogs.

Please don't even consider shooting a dog - there are alternatives.

Granted, cops kill pets commonly after being "threatened". Such officers should not be on a police force if they don't have the simple training on how to deal with a dog without shooting, what happens when this cop confronts a beligerant human?

Yea, not so much. I had a 10 year old cousin severely mauled by a dog who simply attacked her as she walked down the street. A neighbor intervened with a baseball bat and saved her life. The dog was quarantined and then put down. If I had been there and been armed, that dog would be dead. I love dogs and have always owned dogs, but it's silly to make blanket statements. In my world, if a human life is in danger, the dog dies. YMMV.

Back