Gun for Biking

I'm a fan of carrying what you normally carry. I don't see the LCP being that heavy.

Not big on switching CC guns.
You mean you don't have a grocery-shopping gun, and a filling-the-car-with-fuel gun, and a picking-the-kids-up-from-school gun, and a going-to-work gun, and a lunch-brake gun, and a going-home gun, and a cooking-dinner gun, and a checking-facebook gun, and a wipping-your-ass gun, and....

When I was cycling every day I would carry a 642 in the back right pocket of my jersey. I never saw any rust and never thought it would be a problem, and it turned out that rust wasn't the problem. After three weeks of hard riding the sweat had somehow turned the lithium grease inside the revolver into lithium paste and bound up the trigger to the point where it would not reset. A quick cleaning fixed the problems but it really opened my eyes as to the effects of heavy sweating.

When I was cycling every day I would carry a 642 in the back right pocket of my jersey. I never saw any rust and never thought it would be a problem, and it turned out that rust wasn't the problem. After three weeks of hard riding the sweat had somehow turned the lithium grease inside the revolver into lithium paste and bound up the trigger to the point where it would not reset. A quick cleaning fixed the problems but it really opened my eyes as to the effects of heavy sweating.
One of the things I love about the new Sigs with the removable fire control is how fast and easy they are to clean.

Don't ride any off road, live in a 55 and over community. Do ride to a couple stores in bike lanes along the roads.

Carry a Taurus TCP or a Phoenix HP22, haven't had any problems. ALL the dog owners have, so far, had their dogs on a leash.

I have a dog and don't want to shoot someone's dog.

NEVER thought about carrying >>>>> pepper spray!!!! As an option!

It's on the list of things to get!!!

THANKS!!!

Don't ride any off road, live in a 55 and over community. Do ride to a couple stores in bike lanes along the roads.

Carry a Taurus TCP or a Phoenix HP22, haven't had any problems. ALL the dog owners have, so far, had their dogs on a leash.

I have a dog and don't want to shoot someone's dog.

NEVER thought about carrying >>>>> pepper spray!!!! As an option!

It's on the list of things to get!!!

THANKS!!!
A quick note: bear mace, not pepper spray. There IS a difference and regular pepper spray may not work well or at all on a dog depending on breed and body weight.

I laugh.....thinking about growing up in N Wi in the '70,s. A seven mile bike ride was an adventure. Knew where the mean dogs lived which meant picking up a tossed PBR or Blatz can filling it with gravel and smucking the mutt in the head.
Guess what, the dumb -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- was back the next day. Dogs fear me not. The loose nut behind the wheel is scarier. Their attitude is country roads are for vehicles, peds and bikes be damned. My rarely few experiences is pull out the cellphone make a fake phone call and situation deescalates. I'm the run first, avoid confrontation type of person. The CCW, the Buckknife and the pepper spray are just tools in my toolbox. Some of those tools are needed daily to make a living, some of those tools are there to preserve the humble comfort of life that this blue collar man is living.

Most of the dogs are the small lap dogs. A lab and a greyhound are the only big dogs so far.

Bear Mace maybe hard to find in Florida.

BUT Google is my friend!!!!

She knows ALL the answers to my questions before I type!!!!

An LCP in .380 would do as long as you don't shoot yourself in the leg! That is if the big dog is already at your pedals.

Last edited:
I have never carried during exercise so I'm very concerned about weight.

Why???!!!

Rothdel, welcome to the forum, this is, IMhO, a great place to learn stuff and have some fun. My 'why' is me having some fun. Please don't take it seriously or just consider the source and ignore it if you want. This is not directed at you specifically just a jab in general for lots of folk (some are even my friends) that are annoyingly fit, and like to tell people about it.

If you're out for exercise strap on the Beretta 92 with the 17 round mag. More weight means you'll get more exercise, a good thing right???

Going for the lightest possible gun for biking, hiking or jogging reminds me of the folk that obsess about getting the closest possible parking spot to the gym door. Take the farthest one and knock a minute off your treadmill time.

Personally when I go for a walk I'm packing a lot of weight so I get a lot of exercise real quick. That's just me being efficient. YMMV. :D

Back in the early nineties I put a lot of miles on my bike to get ready for a recreational ride, Markleyville Death Ride, and tried all kinds of commercial and homemade sprays to keep the dogs away with little success. Started carrying a detective special and discovered country dogs recognize revolvers. If I was doing that today I would still carry a shooter and a can of 2,000,000 Scoville unit pepper spray for the dogs.

The farm wives in the 3/4 ton pickups who think your lane is her lane are scarier than dogs. Hence the firearm on the belt for all to see.

NAA .22 LR revolver alternate rounds snake shot and round nose. Carry this when biking. Weighs next to nothing just right for dog attack, snakes (reptile or humanoid). Hope to never need it but it rides holstered on the handlebar.

i suggest a bond arms derringer in 410/45lc. as a dayhiker up trails on a small mountain range nearby i worry about the effect of taking a tumble on my sidearm. the all steel b.a. is built like a brick outhouse, there is probably nothing that a human can do to it to render it inoperable. it is small, though heavy, and does not print. single action was originally designed for (horse) riding. im worried mainly about feral dogs or similar, (though there are black bears around higher up, i havent seen one). mine is loaded with 410 federal handgun defense rounds (your choice buck or #4shot) with one speed strip each of more 410 and 45lc hornady ftx 185gr defense rounds, carried in a fanny pack snugged tight at crossdraw position.

I carry pepper spray and a NAA 22 mag when biking or jogging. I don't want shooting a dog to be my first response. I have an aftermarket grip on my NAA that makes it easier to handle than most. It looks big, but is actually thinner than the available factory grips. Flat in the pocket.

My main carry is an LCP.

I carry a Glock 43 in a SmartCarry holster (look it up if you don't know what it is) when I go running and it works very well. It would be fine for biking as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bike and carry a KelTec P3AT, your LCP equivalent.

I see NO need to shoot an animal if you are on a bike. You can outrun anything short of a whippet or greyhound. Spray may be useful, but my concern is for two-legged interlopers, not four-legged.

How so you carry on a bike? I have a small mesh bag below the handlebars. Short of an ankle rig, I dont see how to carry and bike comfortably.

Love to hear your approach.

How so you carry on a bike? I have a small mesh bag below the handlebars.

I use a 5.11 Select Carry Pistol Pouch (a fanny pack). It is small and well padded and quite comfortable and doesn't have the hidden gun look. It doesn't have room left over for keys and phone, though. When I looked for an appropriate cycling holster I considered a frame mounted or handlebar mounted design but decided that the unlikely event that I need the gun is also a likely event that I become detached from the bicycle.

I see NO need to shoot an animal if you are on a bike. You can outrun anything short of a whippet or greyhound

You maybe can, I cannot... two knee surgeries and a bad back. Plus, have you noticed that territorial dogs are always strategically placed to chase a cyclist going uphill, into the wind, while on the return half of the route.
I would shoot a warning shot into a field or ditch first. It is an easier shot and less likely to summon an angry do owner in a car.

Stop the bike, dismount, put bike between you and dog. The use gun, spray, stick etc .
This of course was a problem a long time ago and solved with a Velo-Dog gun ! Velocipede [bicycle] . Like a 22lr .Those were days when people were reasonable and intelligent !! :eek:

Stop the bike, dismount, put bike between you and dog. The use gun, spray, stick etc .

The fanny pack also adds an element of convenience in case I need to leave the bike for a bathroom emergency, break-down and I forgot my phone, whatever.

Better to have more than not enough.....

ShotgunBike_zps56a48666.jpg

Back