Gun deals passed by and you're still kicking yourself

November, 2010... I was purchasing my first centerfire revolver at my LGS...

I had narrowed it down to two: A brand new 686 with a 6" bbl and a near perfect condition model 57 with a 6.5" bbl. I don't recall whether it was no-dash or a -1 but it doesn't matter. It was an older square butt P&R piece. At the time I was new to handguns and particularly S&Ws and all the things we S&W nuts quibble over as to "desirable" and whatnot. I had my heart set on stainless with a full underlug, but that 57 tempted me. Also, I had never heard of a 41mag at the time and did not reload.

So for those reasons I passed on the 57 and went with the 686. The 686 was a great revolver for me, but as time passed and I learned more and got into reloading I realized the mistake I had made in passing up the 57. And the price was a pinch cheaper than the new 686, about $700 if I recall.

I have since traded the 686 off for something else. Had I picked up the 57, I am certain I would still have it....

Still kicking myself for that decision....

H&K MP5 for around $8K.........but I didn't have the money so am not sure that this counts as "passing" it up...... In context I could have taken a loan to make the purchase. But who knew how much these things were going to increase in value.....if I did I would have gotten the loan.

Finances always create speed bumps. When the Dan Wesson Monsoon pistol packs came out I really wanted one but already had a .357 so I passed.
Another instance of hindsight regrets.:(

Winchester '94

I've always sort of liked old 30-30s but not quit enough enough to actually buy one. I grew up deer hunting with my older brother's Marlin.
Then a couple years ago a customer sent his Winchester '94 home with me for repair. I fixed it and decided I had to have one. I liked the smallness and handy size. But mostly I liked fact that there was a time that almost every pickup had one in the back glass.
But after turning down $200 ones in the past I just can't bring myself to pay today's $400 price.

I keep seeing a 1905-produced Colt 1902 at the gun shows I've been to. Has original holster, fits really well in my hand. They're asking 3 grand for it, although my socio-economic despairity can't exactly allow that.

A full auto WW II MP-44 with every accessory you could ask for, except the curved barrel and IR sight for $2750. My wife was out of work at the time and I conservatively (and stupidly) said I couldn't justify the expense at the time.

Look ahead as opposed to the past. Many are whining for not buying police trade-in S&W Model 10's and police series Colts years ago.

Currently, the market is loaded with LE .40 S&W semi trade-ins at great prices. I suspect many will be sorrow they did not take advantage. These pistols are easily converted to 357 Sig by simply acquiring a barrel.

Winchester Model 12

This one was a bird in the hand that got away. When I was growing up in the late 50's we were poor as church mice. My older cousin knew I loved hunting and one day called me about a gun I could buy from him. He said it was a Winchester Model 12 I could have for $35 with the stipulation that if I ever sold it, I would have to sell it back to him for the same amount: $35.

I didn't know what a Model 12 was, but it was better than borrowing a gun to go hunting. I went to his house and picked it up. I remember it was a beautiful gun: no scratches or wear anywhere. Strangely, one side of the stock was lighter than the other, like it had sat in a corner forever and sunlight had bleached it out slightly.
I hunting with the gun for 2 or 3 years, then off to college. As usually happens I got to hurting for money, so I told dad to take the gun back and send me the $35.

The gun was still in pristine shape, and I know I could have bought it back from him for the same amount, but working in another state, new family, etc., came along and now it's all a nice memory. Thanks and blessings to my cousin.

Wish I had bought every Mosin Nagant in Russia back when they were $49. Would have made one heck of a profit.
Isn’t that the truth. I would have liked another crack at all the C&Rs I passed up. Mas-49/56 when they were $100, Mosin Nagant M38 where they were $70, Spanish FR8 $50. Got my Chinese SKS back in the 90s for $99 NIB from Norinco .

I could have bought a colt police edition .38 and a ruger Blackhawk .45lc for 300$... both in mint condition...

it was at an estate sale, but I just had spent all the money I had at the time on the living room set for the wife.:(

Chinese Type 53 [M44] Vietnam War Trophy for $50

I once passed on a Vietnam bring back Chi Com Type 53 brought back by a former Special Forces advisor, that was found in a Viet Cong underground hospital / tunnel

a young man said the old man that gave it to him for helping him with some work around his house.

he was going to let me have it for $50 cash & carry, but I passed on it

I thought about it and went back a few minutes later and he sold it to a vendor at the gun show.

it was in rough shape, but it would have made a great wall hanger to go with my Vietnam War collection.

Chinese SKS's for $69.95 in the 1990s. I wish I had bought a couple.

Russian SKS's for $99.95, same time period. My then-wife bought one; she suggested I get one also, and I regret not doing so.

Mosin-Nagants for $39.95 to $59.95 depending on model and condition.

Some of the deals I passed on are thirty years old (with 30 year old prices), but I still remember them:

I got laid off on the very day I closed escrow on my house. I was cash strapped. Why I went to a gun show is beyond me, but I ran into (and couldn't buy) a stone mint, still so new it glowed, Swedish Mauser for $100 and an excellent Mannlicher Schoenauer for $350. Arrgh!

A Ruger 77 International in excellent condition in 250 Savage for $335.

A Browning reproduction of a Winchester Model 71 carbine in 348 Win for $335. It was in excellent shape, but had a peep sight installed and a recoil pad. It was a serious hunting rifle, which is just what I wanted.

A very nicely made full classic custom, ebony forend tip, shadowline cheekpiece, excellent checkering, nice walnut rifle for $250. Why did I pass? Because it was built on a Krag. If it had been built on a high number Springfield you could have added a thousand dollars onto the price. Still I should have, it was only $250.....

I just didn't have any money for the first two, but I wish I could tell you why I passed on the last three.

About anything from the old days. My father had some gun collector catalogs from the 1950s, just page after page of jaw-droppers. I owned a few Pythons back when it was maybe $400 for a nice one, let them go for more than I paid, but not near enough. I once had a Confederate revolver, not much to look at but it was authentic.
To answer the question, back when we sold the old house I was taking Flayderman's catalog, and there was a grouping from Rafael Semmes, of the Confederate Navy. I remember his watch, binoculars, diploma from Annapolis, and there was a sword, the one they presented at the big bash in Richmond when they smuggled him back in after he got sunk. I forget the details, but I know it was cheaper in the 80s that it would be today.
Of course, then you're in the position of being afraid to go anywhere, or even fall asleep at night. That's why today all I have are a couple of beaters for hunting and something cheap but reliable for protection.

berettaprofessor, You are the one I always think is in cahoots with the auction house and driving up my bids. :)

For me it's the auction guns. I'm the guy who always stops bidding $5 before the winning price. Every time

The only way to keep auctions from driving you crazy is you have to decide what your absolute maximum is. If the auction goes over that, even by a dollar, your attitude has to be "Well, I'm sure glad I didn't get suckered into paying that much.".

Back