Gun and Kids at home

Its the 52,000 other kids that will go through your house that aren't.

I see your problem right THERE.

Nobody comes into our house unless we get asked. We don't let kids we don't know into the house. Kids we let in know not to fool with stuff that does not belong to them..... if they acted like that, they'd get booted.

Who lets ill behaved feral children into their home, or even lets their kids hang out with same?!?!?! You are the PARENT. It's the most important job you will ever do.

Nobody comes into our house unless we get asked. We don't let kids we don't know into the house.
Really? Ok sure. Ever have a kid's party at the house? Know where everyone is at all times? Do you work? Someone's always home and watching? Have your kids been through Jr. High and High School yet in at least a suburban environment with lots of kids?

Quality machines break down all the time. If quality machines break down what are the chances your overwatch won't break down. Unless its zero why take the statistical chance? as someone else noted its not that the odds are low but that the stakes are high.

Who lets ill behaved feral children into their home, or even lets their kids hang out with same?!?!?! You are the PARENT. It's the most important job you will ever do.
Why are you assuming they are ill behaved feral children? Thats not...logical. They're...children.

EDIT: Again, if thats your view great. Others have a different view and there are workable solutions to address that concern while still having a viable and efficacious strategy and timeline.

Me personally, I am not keen on the "I want to be able to instantly leap up and go bang" view, when there's other people potentially around.
I have the interesting "perk" of living in one city with the familia, and working in another during the week. At Ye Olde Family Compound, we have multiple quick open safes with pistols loaded in them. indeed the youngest (now in high school) knows the location and code for one upstairs and is obscenely good with the pistol stashed there. But everything is still locked to nonfamily members, and chances are there are anywhere from 2-9 people at any point depending on number of friends, teammates blah blah. I want to be fully aware and recognizing targets there. Plus it helps we have Dad's old tank of a mountain dog thats a freight train with teeth if he ever got mad.

Inversely where I stay when working, I have a loaded shotgun. No one has keys, access etc. but me. Anything bumping in the night is going to get buckshot without a thought.

Last edited:
People are forgetting we are talking about children in general, not their children so just because they think their children are OK with firearms doesn't mean others are. So the only responsible and sensible advice is do not let young children have none supervised access to their firearms, so keep them locked up.

Why are you assuming they are ill behaved feral children? Thats not...logical. They're...children.

If I understand you right, you expect children to be ill behaved. If so, it is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Two 'best practices' rules about kids and guns:

1. Lock the guns up.
  2. Teach your children well.

The rules are based on a simple, universal truth: Human beings are NOT perfect. Neither adults nor children are perfect. We are all simply human. Being human means making mistakes.

When we lock up the guns, we make allowances for childish mistakes.

When we teach our children what to do when they find a loaded gun (and they will!), we make allowances for adultish mistakes.

Here's the process we used for teaching our five (well-behaved but definitely normal) sons what to do around guns. We started when they were barely old enough to talk, and continued adding information along with appropriate role play as they grew. The boys are all healthy young adults now -- "baby" turns 19 in November -- and they are all good shots, safe gunhandlers, and good men.

You can find details of the early part of the process here and here, and information about the later part of the process here.

Stay safe!

pax

Post #66...

....sums it up well.

Back in the day, my maternal grandfather kept a loaded revolver on the shelf of his night-stand. His son in law kept a loaded Colt .45 Automatic under his pillow. The doors of both houses were kept unlocked. We children knew where the guns were, and we knew not to touch them.

I would not do that today.

Two decades later, I kept a loaded 9MM in an unlocked drawer in the bedroom, thinking that I would be able to get to it in time of need. An eleven year old neighbor was in and out quite a bit. I showed him where the gun was kept and how it worked, told him not to touch it by himself, and told him to not mention it to anyone. He is now 52, and he is licensed to carry.

I would not do it that way today.

We have kids in and out often. My unlocked pistol stays in a holster on my belt under my shirt tail.

This is a subject with no right answer. Everyone needs to assess their own situation and family.

Kathy (cornered cat) wrote a really excellent article about how to gun safe your child. I an not sure I would go this route but it is well thought out and worthy of reading.

Link to article:

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/kids-and-guns/disarming-kids-curiosity/

Scrolling up, I see Kathy already linked to her page. Sorry, I didn't read all two pages of post.

Quote:
If I understand you right, you expect children to be ill behaved. If so, it is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

No I expect them to be children. Curious, occasionally impulsive, and lacking in common sense because they haven't figured out what common sense is (something in line with far too many adults).

Two 'best practices' rules about kids and guns:

Lock the guns up.
Teach your children well.

The rules are based on a simple, universal truth: Human beings are NOT perfect. Neither adults nor children are perfect. We are all simply human. Being human means making mistakes.

When we lock up the guns, we make allowances for childish mistakes.

When we teach our children what to do when they find a loaded gun (and they will!), we make allowances for adultish mistakes.

Here's the process we used for teaching our five (well-behaved but definitely normal) sons what to do around guns. We started when they were barely old enough to talk, and continued adding information along with appropriate role play as they grew. The boys are all healthy young adults now -- "baby" turns 19 in November -- and they are all good shots, safe gunhandlers, and good men.

You can find details of the early part of the process here and here, and information about the later part of the process here.

Stay safe!

pax
Simple brilliance

When I had a child, I stored a .38 revolver in a holster attached to my headboard. I had a speed loader in my nightstand, and a rip strip of twelve rounds behind the night stand. I could load a revolver in a second or less, loading from loose rounds a little longer.

When I switched to a 9, I kept it in the same holster, unloaded, slide back, and the magazine in my drawer. similar situation.

Yes, this was risky. I weighed my risks. First, I asked myself how likely it was that my child would gain access to the firearm, load it, and choose to mess around with it. NOT VERY LIKELY. She was not interested in guns. She was actually a little afraid of them. She was NEVER in the house alone, period. So, I felt that the risk of her causing harm was minimal, and she made it through her entire childhood without issues. Now, I keep fully loaded handguns or long guns in every conceivable room. I use glock and revolvers, a rifle, and a shotgun in the areas that they might be useful.

Why did I take the minuscule risk that my child would find the gun and use it? because I was almost certain that in a home invasion, I would fail. A lock of any sort would have stymied me if I was dragged to wakefulness. Just inserting a magazine or speed loader would have been stretching it at times. The real answer would be to wake up with a clear head, but having a firearm available immediately is still important.

There is no generic answer. One must weigh all of the risks, at all levels, and come up with the conditiion that is most comfortable to the firearm owner. the obvious part, at least it's obvious to me, is that you have only one real consideration. The chances that you will actually be involved in a life or death struggle in your own home are far slimmer than the chance that your kid may find your firearm and engage in risky behavior.

Here's a story. an old friend from high school was given a holster for christmas. He took his handgun out of the safe, and left it on his piano when he was distracted. His daugter had kids coming over for a sleepover.

The gun was never locked back up. the kids were, in any case, forbidden to enter that room.

The group wound up going into the room. One of the girls saw the revolver on the piano, ran to it, put it to her head, and fired it. There is no need to go into any further details, other than to say that my friend had a neighbor's child die in his home with his own pistol.

there was an incident in my home. My daughter had been out of the home for several years, and I had been keeping my .38 on the mantle hidden behind a clock. My niece, eighteen or so years old, came by to visit. some minutes later, she did the same thing. She spotted the pistol up on the mantle, squealed, and jumped at it. I ruptured her eardrums yelling "NO!"

My niece as always been a bit unpredictable, and goofy. I learned that childhood never ends for some people. When anyone under thirty is coming to my home, the firearms are put in a much higher level of safety. Empty, in a locked room.Even at the time of this event, it was already habit to do so, concealing and locking away all firearms. sometimes I have felt that it was necessary to hide medications as well, even though we have a two story house, and the second story is off limits.

So even I am incapable of being absolutely certain of my safety. A kid who was maybe even twenty years old was too immature to keep her hands off of my defense weapon. That was quite unexpected.

Get a Gun Vault

gv2000d.png

And teach your kids to never handle firearms unsupervised.

Whirlwind seems to be on the best track.
leave a mag in your bedside safe alongside your pistol and you should be fine.

De-mystifying guns is important in the long run, but younger kids have limitless curiosity and limited attention spans. Don't leave a loaded, unsecured gun anywhere. Not for a second.

leave them out and watch them to see what happens..then explain it to them...if need be..consequence dangers. Why etc

if they are gona be around it shouldn't be any different than a steak knfe..youre too young to have one yet...heres why and how it works

If there is a gun out of the safe, it is secured on my person in a holster. Otherwise they are all locked up in a safe.

Jim

I keep my guns locked up in a safe, or on my person during the day. At night I keep a nightstand Glock. I want a quick access mini, book sized safe. From reviews, there seems to be no good small solution. I made one fail at the retail shop. I was pushing buttons too fast according to the salesman. He recommended a combination cable lock to a fixed object. I had never heard that one before. Their bio lock device failed as well.

Anybody here recommend a specific make and model of quick access, single handgun size device? I am not saying price is no object, but I could rationalize that a reliable device would be worth as much a pistol.

I want a quick access mini, book sized safe. From reviews, there seems to be no good small solution. I made one fail at the retail shop. I was pushing buttons too fast according to the salesman. He recommended a combination cable lock to a fixed object. I had never heard that one before. Their bio lock device failed as well.

Anybody here recommend a specific make and model of quick access, single handgun size device? I am not saying price is no object, but I could rationalize that a reliable device would be worth as much a pistol.

Take a look at the ones that use the mechanical push button lock (Simplex style) and find the one that best fits where and how you want to mount it. Most are heavier gauge steel than their electronic counterpart along with being just as quick. You get proven durability and reliability for many years if not a life time.

Take a look at the ones that use the mechanical push button lock (Simplex style) and find the one that best fits where and how you want to mount it. Most are heavier gauge steel than their electronic counterpart along with being just as quick. You get proven durability and reliability for many years if not a life time.

Agreed. Go with FAS1 safes. I prefer them because in addition to the simplex lock they come with a back up key. They are also a tad cheaper than the fortknox but either of those brands are top of the line for small safes.

My new set up at my house after going through all of the posts:

In the bedroom - FAS1 safe with my pistol in it. Magazine hidden elsewhere but not locked. It takes me around 10 seconds to get it ready if needed. Essentially the kids would need to know the safes combo, also find the magazine, and figure out how to work the gun and rack it. The safe is also about 7 ft off the ground in my closets top shelf so the kids would also need a ladder to get to it. The kids never play in there alone so even if they were on a mission they wouldnt have more than a few minutes to try and do all of this. the oldest is also 5 yrs old so they arent really old enough to get a ladder and try out lock combos anyway.

In my office - closet locked by key. Revolver locked in closet with trigger guard, unloaded. All of my ammo in the locked closet in an ammo box with a padlock.

As they get older I will probably change some of this for the time being this is pretty solid.

i havent read all four pages, so i am not sure if this was discussed. post #3 states that a toddler is more likely to find a gun than an intruder breaking in. i have heard this said by many people, but is it true? i live outside of atlanta, and i see several violent break-in's on the news every single day, i don't hear of kids shooting themselves or others very often, maybe once ot twice a year. i think that statistic might be very dependent to where you live. my brother and i both have kids( i have a kid, almost 9 now and smart enough to know better) he was subject to a violent break-in, but neithr of our kids shot themselves.

i am not saying to scatter guns alll over the house, but i think keeping an unloaded gun can be a bad idea as well

i havent read all four pages, so i am not sure if this was discussed. post #3 states that a toddler is more likely to find a gun than an intruder breaking in. i have heard this said by many people, but is it true? i live outside of atlanta, and i see several violent break-in's on the news every single day, i don't hear of kids shooting themselves or others very often, maybe once ot twice a year. i think that statistic might be very dependent to where you live.

Definitely depends where you live. If you live in an area where there is break ins and shootings weekly vs a neighborhood where there isnt even a break in 1x a year then those stats would be drastically different. A lot of those toddler incidents involve people leaving their guns loaded and like in a dresser the kid has access to...A little common sense goes a long way here and that includes teaching the kid about guns, locking them up, keeping them on you, etc. It depends a lot on the kids too, their maturity, type of kids they are and such. Each household and kid is probably different. In my situation, the chance of a break in is much less than a one of my kids getting a gun. But I have friends that live in bad parts of the city where that would definitely not be true.

Back