GP100

I understand and appreciate your position, DPris, and that should've been clear from my earlier posts on the matter. But I do think you're over interpreting and taking out of context a single photo, which was meant to simply demo the mechanics of the FBI reload. You don't like the FBI reload. And you may have reservations about the relevance of the sporting use of revolvers. We get it. Again, I'm glad you found a good alternative.

Last edited:
It was kinda the gigglesnort.

I've used neither giggle nor snort here, not even sarcasm.

The photo, without either explanation or context, I took as an attempt to illustrate the FBI reload.
If that was you in the photo, I was not deriding you personally, I was commenting on what I saw as real world deficiencies displayed, for those here who may not be aware of the finer points.

I gave my background, I gave my opinion, and I gave my reasons for that opinion.

I also made no snide comments about anybody who does choose to use that method.
The FBI has been known to cling to less-efficient techniques long past their expiration dates.
Anybody who prefers that FBI reloading technique makes their own choice.

My orientation has never been competition, as you may have guessed.

I've personally had split cases during firing (in new ammo), bulged cases, and variations in tight chambers, not to mention witnessed officers bind up their guns under the very moderate stress of range training by using the thumb instead of the punch.
In 99% of those cases, punching, rather than thumbing, would have cleared the gun more reliably than thumbing.

I have no reservations about the relevance of the sporting use of revolvers, and in no way do I dismiss the experiences of those who do compete.

I merely say, again, that not all competition techniques translate well to the real world, defensive engagements involve lead going in more than one direction, we don't all use light target loads carefully inspected before a match, and there's more at stake in a defensive scenario than merely losing a few points, or a match, or even creating a slowdown on the Saturday afternoon firing line at the range while you de-jam your revolver.

All that said, during a basement clean-up last night found the May 1986 issue of Guns & Ammo where-in Bob Shimek introduced the brand new Ruger GP-100.

Fun to re-read that one.
Denis

The gigglesnort was an attempt at a little lightening, figuring that was better than the alternative. At any rate, all this reload discussion, of which I've been a part, has been a real thread veer, so I'll back out now. <gigglesnort>

I only finally hung up my duty revolver a year ago this month, and that was a 6" GP-100. Fine weapon, and accurate to as far as you'd care to devote the ammo and the practice to shoot it. Tough, dependable.

I am a "smacker", but this was self taught. Later, my first training instructor taught the FBI technique, but upon seeing me smack the ejector rod he took note and asked why. "Gross motor skill rather than fine motor skill", I answered...and by the following year he was teaching it that way.
For me it is 6 of one, half dozen of the other, and you use what works for you....or more importantly what you are willing to train.

I have a 4" and 6". Great shooters. Very accurate. Good trigger. Heavy enough to handle recoil easily. One of the best guns for the price.

It is a gun I recommend for most of my family and friends for home defense. I was always a semiauto guy but in my recent history, I've grown to love revolvers much more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a 4" and 6". Great shooters. Very accurate. Good trigger. Heavy enough to handle recoil easily. One of the best guns for the price.

It is a gun I recommend for most of my family and friends for home defense. I was always a semiauto guy but in my recent history, I've grown to love revolvers much more.

I have a late model GP100 6" and a blued GP100 4" fixed sight/half lug. Both are great shooters. Had a trigger job done to the 6" and it is absolutely awesome to shoot.

I knew I wasn't the only one who has come to like revolvers over most semi-autos. Nothing wrong with semi-autos, and I own many, but nothing quite like a fine revolver, and the GP100 is that.

They're built like tanks. I took a friend with me shooting. He dropped the GP100 onto concrete. No scratches or anything. It's a beast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I first certified in 1987 as what was then called by the NRA as a Police Firearms Instructor. It was some years later I first seen the "smack the rod" technique by a retired Secret Service firearms instructor. He said it was the technique he was taught and he showed it as an option on reloading.

On point of the GP-100, I have one in 327 magnum. Love that revolver-caliber combination and it is definitely a keeper. Hard hitting and joy to shoot. The only issue I have is the trigger it not the quality of my other revolvers but spring kits are not an option. Some factory 327 rounds and most of what I load uses small rifle primers due to the pressure of the 327 so they need a good hit for sure ignition. It is not that bad and the advantages really outweigh any issues. Very happy with the Ruger.

Back