GP100

Muzzle up and smack the ejector rod. That is the proper method of extraction/ejection in a revolver with a swingout cylinder regardless of the length of the ejector rod. It is done to insure positive extraction/ejection and especially to eliminate the chances of a rim getting under the star. If you're running moon clips then it's less critical.
...my smackin' hand is busy reaching for a speed loader.
Having a full speed loader in your hand and ready to go won't be helpful if a rim gets under the star or an empty doesn't extract because the ejector rod wasn't operated with enough gusto.

Funny.............

I have been an LEO since the early 90's. I carried a revolver until 1997. I have been through hundreds if not thousands of hours of firearms training, and am a firearms instructor. I HAVE NEVER been trained to "smack" the ejector rod with my strong hand.

Trained as follows for a RH shooter -

Open cylinder, middle two fingers of left hand push cylinder out and go through the frame, muzzle to the sky, left thumb pushes ejector rod while right hand is getting a speed loader/speedstrip/more ammo to reload with. Once empties are ejected, muzzle to the ground, cylinder gets reloaded by right, once cylinder reloaded, right hand goes back to the grip while left hand closes cylinder.

All of that can be accomplished as fast as a mag change with some training, practice, and a speedloader.

Never had a rim go under the star. Seen a rim under a star once, but it was staged so we knew how to clear it.

Here's a link to a video that perfectly demos how I was trained, so my 25 year old training still looks current............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aulxNjoFoOk

I'm not sure what training the rest of you got, when and where you got it, regarding "smacking", but I've never even seen any training materials that describe what you are saying.

Last edited:
I love the looks of the factory grips with the wood inserts ......but for shooting the hogue is on both my GP's.....I also want ruger to make a 44 mag GP

849ACSO Funny.............

I have been an LEO since the early 90's. I carried a revolver until 1997. I have been through hundreds if not thousands of hours of firearms training, and am a firearms instructor. I HAVE NEVER been trained to "smack" the ejector rod with my strong hand.

Trained as follows for a RH shooter -

Open cylinder, middle two fingers of left hand push cylinder out and go through the frame, muzzle to the sky, left thumb pushes ejector rod while right hand is getting a speed loader/speedstrip/more ammo to reload with. Once empties are ejected, muzzle to the ground, cylinder gets reloaded by right, once cylinder reloaded, right hand goes back to the grip while left hand closes cylinder.

All of that can be accomplished as fast as a mag change with some training, practice, and a speedloader.

Never had a rim go under the star. Seen a rim under a star once, but it was staged so we knew how to clear it.

I was law enforcement also since 1993 and qualified with a revolver at all qualifications and still qualify every year. I was never trained nor told in those 23 years by anyone to smack an ejector rod. I was trained exactly as you were. I never had a case get stuck under the star either while qualifying or with a .38 at all. The only time that every occurred to me was when i tried a 32 acp in a 32 long revolver and even then only once.

I HAVE NEVER been trained to "smack" the ejector rod with my strong hand.
Interesting. It's a pretty commonly taught technique, espoused by many high profile trainers. Below is some additional information.

Here's an article by Sheriff Jim Wilson.
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2012/2/22/revolver-reloads/

The shooter then turns the muzzle skyward and uses the palm of his right hand to smartly smack the ejector rod, causing the cartridges to fall clear of the cylinder.​

Here's a video by Ayoob set up to start at the point of interest--below it is a transcript of his comments at the point where the video starts.

https://youtu.be/oXUwI_d8JlA?t=3m

...now we bring the muzzle up and with one hard hit we've got complete full ejection...​

Here's a video of Clint Smith reloading a revolver. The video is set up to start at the point of interest.

https://youtu.be/xOVWwOahGf8?t=2m30s

Here's a video of Tom Gresham shooting a revolver. He does a reload (or at least dumps his empties) about 5-6 seconds into the video. At about 35 seconds, Clint Smith does a reload.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/video/speed-loading-revolvers-part-2/

Here's Dave Spaulding discussing and demonstrating revolver techniques using a GP100. At about 1 minute in he talks about reloading techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEHsfTHCUm8

"...punches it out with their hand. Now the reason we do that versus using our thumb is we get a full stroke of the ejection rod."

I had always learned that the smack technique applied to short rods, such as a Model 19 2.5", or a Chief Special...not a full length rod on a 4".

Back to the GP100, I like S&W revolvers, and have a Model 15 next me as I type.
However, I did buy a 3" GP fixed sight a couple years ago. For a new revolver, it has a fantastic trigger, both single and double action. Fully comparable to the Smiths I own, even my well used Model 15.
For the GP, I have both the compact Lett's, and the Hogues that came on it. I like both.
My 3" GP is very accurate.

849ACSO said:

JohnKSa said:
I HAVE NEVER been trained to "smack" the ejector rod with my strong hand.

Interesting. It's a pretty commonly taught technique, espoused by many high profile trainers.

Both are acceptable. The former's known as the FBI Reload, whereas the latter is known as the Stressfire Reload. Both have their pros and cons.

The FBI Reload is generally faster, since you're multi-tasking by reaching for the speedloader with your right hand as you're ejecting empties with your left thumb (see pic). But a wimpy ejection stroke can lead to a stuck case. If you're going to use the FBI reload, you really need to practice forcefully bottoming out the ejector rod. On revos with a short ejector rod, the Stressfire Reload is likely the safer way to go.

To the OP: Nice gun. Congrats. GP100s generally respond very well to some good tuning. Enjoy.

The FBI Reload:
686reload2012Nats.jpg

When I was young , my Dad advised me not to sell a gun if I liked it , even just a little bit. Only sell / trade one if you just can't stand it....that was good advice .
My can't stand gun was a Beretta Tomcat....too large and too heavy for a 32 acp.... It was NOT even close to the stolen Walther PPK I was trying to replace.
Gary

The former's known as the FBI Reload, whereas the latter is known as the Stressfire Reload. Both have their pros and cons.

Interesting. It's a pretty commonly taught technique, espoused by many high profile trainers. Below is some additional information.

Great info. I really didn't know there was "another way" being taught. I doubt I will ever pick it up as mainstream, since:

1 - I transitioned to an autoloader for my primary years ago

2- I still carry a J Frame on my ankle every day as a backup, and my method has never failed me.

3- Then there's that whole "old dog, new tricks" thing. It's really hard to "untrain" 25 years of muscle memory.

Thanks for the info!

I use the FBI technique MrBorland shows- but I also added pulling my fingers in on my left hand in as I'm reloading- that turns the cylinder 90 degrees and clears any empty that's between the guns receiver and the ejector star.

S&W shows the thumb technique in the manual I looked at. Ruger doesn't specify how to operate the rod but does state that the muzzle definitely needs to be elevated.

Miculek uses the thumb technique which means it's the fastest way he's used. His focus is competition--I'd like to know what his thoughts are for self-defense reloads.

I smack the rod. Murphy worries me... :D

I started policing in '91 with the L frame. no smacking was ever taught, must be a new thing. #27 was the method....

John K has it.
I started my LE career in 1976.
As a firearms instructor for my last PD, we were teaching that "muzzle-up rod-smack" in the early 80s.

It is, regardless of which hand you use to do it with, the single most effective & reliable method of ensuring full & positive ejection in a swing-out DA revolver, regardless of rod length.

Learn it so it becomes automatic, and it carries across all makes & frame sizes.

I'm surprised so many posters here who worked professionally with revolvers have never heard of it.
Denis

Oops- forgot: The GP was designed, not because the Security-Six was "weaker", but because the SS was too expensive to manufacture.
Ruger later said he thought they'd lost money on every one they made.

While the new GP was in the design stage, it was both beefed up and designed to be cheaper to produce for the company.
Denis

DPris said:
I'm surprised so many posters here who worked professionally with revolvers have never heard of it.

I'm not. It seems training philosophies fell into one of 2 camps - FBI vs "smack the rod" - and there wasn't much cross-talk. The article linked below, for example, was written by a very experienced LEO, and only refers to the FBI method when describing the FBI reload. You'll find other articles also written by experienced trainers that smack the rod without mentioning the FBI method.

The well-rounded wheelgunner ought to know about all the reloading variants (there are more than just these 2), and which are best for them and under which condition.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...ing-the-gun-double-action-revolvers-revisted/

Many moons ago, I had enough extraction failures with the thumb that once I encountered the rod-smack, I never went back. :)

Using it, I have never, in nearly four decades since, had a case fail to fully eject unless a particular grip blocked a rim on the way out, and in those cases no method, FBI or otherwise, will overcome a mechanical issue inherent to grip design.

I have a certain amount of respect for the FBI in certain areas, but their approach to gunnery has never been anything I've taken into consideration in my own life, and/or defense of same.

The photo illustrated is simply a poor technique, in my opinion, and not entirely restricted to that thumb. :)
Denis

DPris said:
The photo illustrated is simply a poor technique, in my opinion, and not entirely restricted to that thumb

<gigglesnort> Well, if you think using the thumb is universally bad technique (and because you happen to get cases stuck), I'll just offer that it's good you've found something that works for you. As I mentioned, though, if you're going to use the FBI method, you really need to practice bottoming out that rod.

And it might be "poor technique" from a SD perspective, but 1) SD is clearly not the intent in that photo and 2) it was nearly good enough to win the National Championship that year. :)

There's a substantial difference between competition and real life.

Besides the inherent weakness I see in the thumb method, the photo above shows the shooter (no offense if it's you) concentrating on looking down at the speedloader & totally ignoring whatever's in front of him.

Correctly done, the rod-smack occurs at a high enough elevation to allow the user to positively bang all empties out and reload while still maintaining a view of what's going on out front.

Cover's a factor, but aside from that, positive ejection and avoiding losing sight of the threat are both important to me.

Shooting at paper, it doesn't matter where your eyeballs are while you're reloading, but when the "paper" is shooting back, or advancing on your position, or moving behind their own cover, it's good to maintain awareness during a dynamic encounter.

The Air Force taught me the thumb method in 1972.
I used it through four years of quals with them, and starting my civilian career in '76.

I was well-versed in thumb investment, and still considered the rod-smack such a light-bulb epiphany when I was first exposed to it that I adopted it immediately & taught it later on when I was a firearms instructor for my last PD. Along with other instructors.
From about '82 till revolvers were finally banned in favor of autos in '88, we taught it.

Ayoob taught it, Farnam taught it, Tueller taught it. Those are three I personally knew back in the old days.

Other professional schools/instructors were teaching it nationwide.
My PD was the second largest in my state, the rod-smack was all over the place around here.

Many competition techniques are developed strictly for competition, and work well in competition.
Some translate into the real world effectively, some don't.

In my case, and you make your own choices for your own uses, I prefer a guaranteed positive method that covers all swing-out DA revolvers equally well, irrespective of frame size, brand, or rod length.

The rod-smack gives me that, the thumb simply doesn't.
Regardless of how much I may practice the thumb, all it takes is one tight case to disturb my "thumb routine", whereas punching that rod on every reload will remove all but a seriously stuck case right along with the easy ones.

I don't use light target loads for carry.
In the magnums, for instance, it's not totally unusual to get one (or six) tight empties that need some "Get the flip out NOW!" force provided by smacking the rod, as opposed to a lesser level of leverage provided by my thumb.

I've adapted rod-smack slightly in using the other hand, but it fits my coordination better. It does involve switching hands, adding fractionally more time, but that's FRACTIONALLY more time, and unlikely to be significant in real life.

Use whichever fits, I'll stick to the smack. :)
Denis

Back