GP100

JN01

I know that a lot of gun owners make it a policy to never sell a gun, but I have often bought, sold, and traded many different guns. Sometimes I have regretted doing so, and recently missed having a 4" .357 Magnum.

I had, in the past, owned a nice pre-lock S&W 686 Plus which was really a fine piece. Ended up selling it to a friend. I found that replacing that one with a similar vintage was going to be pricey, and examples don't show up around my neck of the woods that often.

I then considered a new version of the 686 (I intended to remove and plug the unnecessary and poorly designed IL) along with a Ruger GP100. I'd never had a GP before, but after researching, found that most people have a favorable opinion of them.

Off to the gun shop I went. Doing a side by side comparison, the Ruger actually had a smoother trigger than the Smith. Was it as good as my old 686? No, not quite as smooth, but close although the pull was quite a bit heavier.

Ended up buying the Ruger for $200 (or more) less than I would have paid for an older 686. Spent another $60 on Wolff reduced power springs (12 lb hammer, 10 lb trigger return) and Altamont grips. The stock Hogue finger grooves didn't fit my fingers quite right, and the Altamonts look nicer.

While it may not be quite as refined as a classic 686, the GP shoots great, looks decent, and does have a few advantages over the Smith- no threaded ejector rod to come unscrewed, rubber over the backstrap for reduced felt recoil, easy to re-spring, trigger assembly comes out for easy cleaning.

attachment.php

Attachments

• GP100web.JPG
    GP100web.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 1,114
Congrats on picking up your new addition. I also have been a part of the buy and sell club and do have a few I missed but most I dont. I also have a Ruger 4" gp100 and it has proven to be a fine weapon. Hows the new spring kit working out for you?

Congratulations on your new Ruger. Great at short distance
And equally so at 50yds. Not my everyday carry but for some
reason, I can't tell why I keep it. all our other's are for carry.

Last edited:
I prefer the "Six" series,especially my old duty sidearm,the Speed Six.
Nowadays I have a 3" GP100.
My daughter has the 4"version.

The old Sixes would go out of time and beat themselves to death with a steady diet of maximum .357 mags. That is why Bill Ruger designed the GP100. It is invulnerable to the effects of a lifetime of .357 full house loads and can withstand the occasional double charge as well.

I own both. I can get past the gritty GP trigger, and did so with a bit of polishing...............

My one and only complaint thus far about the GP is the LENGTH of the ejector rod. Another 1/8", and it would actually be long enough to push empties out of the cylinder.

The old Sixes would go out of time and beat themselves to death with a steady diet of maximum .357 mags.

I have been reading gun mags and internet forums for years and thats the first time I have ever heard that. And I will wait to see some proof before I believe it.

I just bought a used GP-100 with a 4' barrel to go with the GP-100 with a 6" barrel I have had since about 1989. The 6" gun was what I shot in the center fire part of the falling plate matches I used to shoot that won me a shelf full of trophies in the early 1990s. They are brute strong and will give you a life time of service. You will go broke buying ammo before you wear one out.

I also have two security sixes with 4" barrels. One is a first year run made in 1972. And both are in excellent shape and in perfect time. The 1972 gun is getting that interesting plum color to the frame.

Congrats on a great revolver.

Last edited:
Spent another $60 on Wolff reduced power springs (12 lb hammer, 10 lb trigger return)...
Be sure and test it thoroughly in DA mode. The DA hammer strike is significantly lighter than the SA hammer strike.

Wow, nice revolver you got there! Most certainly a "welcome wagon" special, for the BG that happens to make the mistake of dropping by your place, unwelcomed! Lol. ;)

Very Nice gun. I like the grips a lot. I have recently bought the GP100 in 22lr and I like it so much, I am now looking at the .357 as well.

They appear very well made

Good luck and enjoy!!!

Rich

I've had my 4" blued GP100 for about 8 years, been a great gun.

Not quite as smooth/refined as the Smiths in the family, but every bit as accurate and reliable.

The GP100 has a longer trigger pull than the Smith and seems designed for the DA shooter to "stage" the shot. Nothing wrong with that. The GP100 can be tuned and re-springed for a very nice trigger.

I like the easily swapable front sight on the Ruger and the overall fit and finish.

The 686+ has a shorter DA trigger and a better SA trigger than the GP100 although the GP in SA is not bad. Since I shoot in DA almost exclusively, that's not an important differential for me.

Both are excellent revolvers.

Love the GP100. They just don't break. Every GP100 I have owned needed some TLC to make it perfect (stiff trigger, too tight cylinder gap, etc.) but S&W can have similar issues and for the lesser money I don't mind and hour fiddling with my revolver to make it perfect. Plus, they last longer than Smiths with heavy use in my experience.

"...trigger assembly comes out for easy cleaning..." No need to do that.
Best thing about my GP(had it since they first came to Canada 30 some years ago) other than it fits my hand properly when the M19 I had for years never quite did, is that the innards are SS. Really easy to remove to polish. No special tools required like any Smith either.
"...push empties out of the cylinder..." You're doing it wrong. Smack the thing.

Be sure and test it thoroughly in DA mode. The DA hammer strike is significantly lighter than the SA hammer strike.

Yeah, although it will be mostly a range gun, I want to ensure that it is reliable. Consensus from my research seems to be that going down to a 12 lb spring is usually not an issue, but with a 10 or 8 pound, things get iffy.

and recently missed having a 4" .357 Magnum.

I have 17 guns (I think). If I sold 16 of them, this would be the one remaining . . .
686_2016-06-06_zps7xzuehpn.jpg

If I didn't have a 4" 357, I wouldn't consider myself a firearm owner :p.

Back