Gothic Themed Handguns

Better results this time.

Steam Punk would be a more apt description. Personally I LOVED the decked out Webley snubbie.

I see a few here I should run by her:

~The pepperbox was a thought outside the box.
~The 2 Frenchy revolvers are good candidates, especially an 1873 in good . shape

~The early Bergmann Pistols would be AWESOME... If not for scarcity and . price. Dotto the Frommer Stop & Webley-Fosbery, (the Fosbery would . be mighty cool though!)

~The matched NAA mini gats might be okay, if a bit frustrating at the range.

I'll pass all of this along. I did, incidentally check out the earlier thread. I was actually the originator of that thread, but was hoping to get different opinions this time, and it worked.

Personally I LOVED the decked out Webley snubbie.

Yeah, I don't usually go for modified guns, refinished guns,etc.....but this one really caught my attention. Price is too high for me, but at a lower price, I'd buy it.

As you seem to like the Webly look, check out the break-top H&R guns.

One of those would lend itself to customizing on a budget & there are some in .22LR so ammo would be cheap as well. That way you'd have some more cash for the custom work to "Goth it out" maybe?

Actually, an old chromed H&R or Iver Johnson with MoP grips might be acceptable. Perhaps in black chrome with silver accents on black grips...yes, yes, keep the recommendations coming.

Still want a price on a Bergmann 1896 no.3 pistol though I expect it will be a fortune, and not suitable for modification.

The Roth-Steyr M-1907 seems like a candidate, as does the Mannlicher 1901. Can either one be made to fire .32acp?

1875 Remington. Especially if you can find one engraved with ivory or mother-of-pearl grips. Probably not a 7.5" barrel.

Was there such thing as a "sheriff's model" (snub) Remington, or were those all Colts?

If you like top-breaks, the H&R Model 999 Sportsman .22 Long Rifle can often be found for very reasonable prices (I paid $200 for mine) and would be both economical and fun to shoot.

Another period gun that might have the look you seek is the Swiss Schmidt Model 1882. Empire Arms has a very nice example right now for $625.

http://www.empirearms.com/pistols.htm

Here you go. An antique Belgin Pinfire revolver for only $145. Cylinder plugged.
images

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_i...d=960&osCsid=7507ae5b0cc30a42b9645e7060158aa9

or a BORCHARDT 1893 for $27,500.00
FXP3-K-F1-BLACK.jpg

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_i...19925&osCsid=7507ae5b0cc30a42b9645e7060158aa9

She checked out a 3rd Model Russian replica, but said it seemed a bit too "western" for her. Also, her hands are not large, and the price was awful high.

The gun in question would not need to be an antique, as long as the requisite flavor was present. A .22 auto of some sort would be the most practical shooter, but she isn't going for "The Matrix" look, and most .22s seem to lean that way. It does have to be something she can buy (relatively) modern fixed ammo for.

Close enough, for appearances anyway...

(picked one of these up last weekend :))

A Belgian (or Spanish) clone of the S&W .44 Double Action. Externally, they are identical in profile (to the untrained eye). Internally, a crude and archaic design that doesn't last too long under even contemporary black powder loadings. I believe they are based on the 2nd or 3rd generation no.3's, and have a more "vertical" profile than the graceful lines of the original. The grip is quite small (for me), though the pistol is pretty large (5" barrel).

As far as being "too Western," American Steam Era literature is all about exploring/civilizing the West and other wild lands. The Brits were the ones all concerned about urban Victorianism and fashion ;). Depends on which angle she wants to go with. If British, there's no better choice than a Webley top break of any model (I'm not sure a "Lady" would go around with a piece back then, though). If American, a Frontier style revolver is the quintessential sidearm for those living the last great adventures of the wild west. And if she's in a hoop skirt, there's really no option besides a derringer (or knife) which would be hidden anyway.

For ~150$, you get a functional gun with as much charisma (alright, phony charisma) and history as the real No. 3 for about 1/10th the price. Just don't load it up without taking it to a smith for inspection first (when in good repair, the design is safe. It just goes out of time really quickly). With .44cal chambers, it's way more imposing than similar priced top-breaks(usually .32cal or lower), and is sure to turn heads...

TCB

Attachments

• Belgian.jpg
    Belgian.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 39
  • revolver1.jpg
    revolver1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
The C-96 was ruled out early on for 2 reasons: Initial cost, and I could not bear cutting, carving, or otherwise ruining such a classic piece.

The Unique is a no go, but it shows good though. She just didn't care for it.

So far there are 3 front runners, the NAA matched pair, a Pewter gripped Nagant, and in a FAAAR distant 3rd: save up for the vampire slayer 1911. The pepper box was noteworthy to her as a sort of poor man's Judge.

Thank you for all the input.

Back