good sight paint?

I applied the Testors fluorescent enamel paint today over some white acrylic paint and it worked fine. Looks very good for daytime use. I do not know how much better it will be than non-fluorescent white for dim light use as yet.

For anyone considering buying the Glow Inc. paint for gun sights let me offer some advice: don't. I returned the stuff I bought to Amazon today for refund.

This may be different from the Glow-on paint. I am perplexed by the positive reviews for Glow Inc. paint on the Amazon website. There were many negative reviews especially from individuals like myself who bought it for sights, but some who did so actually posted a positive reply. It is as if they are talking about a different product entirely. Perhaps the quality of this product has taken a nosedive recently, or their quality control sucks, or the product is being supplied by a counterfeiter.

Here is my experience. First, the appearance of the paint in the jar is not remotely like the vivid green paint shown in the advertising photo. The paint is cream colored and has no green tint whatsoever. Since it is an off-white color, it will make your sight dot harder to pick up in daylight than a bright white dot.

Second, the consistency of this crap is terrible. It is more like a paste than a paint and it is gritty. It dries to an ugly, rough texture. The pasty consistency of the paint makes it difficult to apply, and impossible to apply in multiple thin coats as recommended.

I tried putting the jar of paint directly under a bright light all day. After that in dark conditions it had but a faint greenish glow. that faded within a half hour.

As soon as I saw the consistency of this garbage, I knew I did not want to mess up my sights with it. I tested it on the primer of a spent cartridge casing to see if it would work at all. I first painted the primer with a white paint and after it dried applied a coat of the V-10. Because of the goopy consistency, one fairly thick coat is all I could apply. After that dried I put the cartridge casing 3-4" directly beneath a 75 W incandescent bulb of a reading lamp for 4 hours to charge it. I then took it into a dark room.

The paint glowed but it had an irregular, non-uniform fluorescence. The glow started to fade almost immediately. I left it in the dark and came back 10-15 minutes later and the glow had faded to nearly invisible. I don't think I need to tell anyone here that a product that performs like this would be of absolutely no value on a self-defense weapon.

This crap might be good for painting neat little stars, planets, and half-moons on the ceiling of your daughter's bedroom, that will glow for a few minutes as she drops off to sleep. For gun sights forget about it.

Back