good sight paint?

I have a couple bottles of Green Sight Bright sight paint.
I clean the front sight with Brake cleaner on a Q Tip.
I then apply the Sight Bright in 3 or 4 applications with a small paint brush. Allow to dry between coats. Best to let it dry to a hard finish over a few days. I let my 64 set before use and the paint stayed on well. I stuck my 625 in the holster after a day or two and knocked some paint off. It needs to dry before use.

I did a 638, 637 and my LCR 22 also Great Results. I like the sight paint myself.

I would leave the back sight Black.

I have never tryed nail polish. Some good colors, and the stuff is handy to pick up, and cheap enough. All good points.

Bob

After painting my front sight on my maverick model 88 yellow today, i shot me a coyote it was raining and the nail polish held well

Over the past 35 years I've tried all kinds of paints, nail polish, Brownell's sight kit, etc. trying to find the best way to paint sights. Absolutely the best products I've found come from Glow Inc.

They last the longest, work the best, and have a page specifically dedicated to painting sights and how to do it. They have paints that are glow in daylight, glow in the dark, or both.

Last summer, I repainted by wife's FNX-9mm sights with the glow in daylight paint as she uses the gun for action pistol. The gun gets drawn a lot from a holster for competions and practice - the glow paint on the front sight shows no wear at this point. I painted the front sight dot green and the rear sight dots orange. She says the sights with the glow in daylight paint are easier to use as they make it quicker for her to establish a sight picture.

The glow in the dark paints need to be "charged" (exposed to light) and will glow quite brightly for about 1 hour and continue to glow at a dimmer level for up to 10 hours.

As with anything that works well - the products are not inexpensive, but they do work better than anything I've found for painting sights in 35 years of using different products searching for "the best."

Last edited:
I used Floquil hobby paint on SS Taurus sights. I put a circle of white and a smaller dot of red in the center. It works well for low light or for sighting from bright light to low light area such as at our indoor range.

But I like the sound of the Glow Inc product and will try it next.

Just painted the sights on my Taurus PT111 G2. I used generic nail polish from Wallgreens in florescent orange (front) green (back). I removed the white clay from the rear sights with a toothpick. The front sight clay did not come out as easy so I left it to serve as the base coat. The rear well was so shallow that it made applying a base coat difficult. So I went without it. I feel they could be a bit brighter as a result of no base but I'm happy so far with the results considering the effort. The front brightness is great. These plastic sights are not my favorite. (No offense Taurus) Any improvement until they're replaced with something nicer is a welcomed one. Let's see how long the hold up...
5edec647a236b58836064deb29dce989.jpg

b14492980c8e067218f8866e7df1bc15.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
White nail polish. Has been on the front bade of my Smith 360 for nearly 2 years. Gets carried DAILY in an ankle holster (My LEO BUG).

Just painted the sights on my Taurus PT111 G2. I used generic nail polish from Wallgreens in florescent orange (front) green (back). I removed the white clay from the rear sights with a toothpick. The front sight clay did not come out as easy so I left it to serve as the base coat. The rear well was so shallow that it made applying a base coat difficult. So I went without it. I feel they could be a bit brighter as a result of no base but I'm happy so far with the results considering the effort. The front brightness is great. These plastic sights are not my favorite. (No offense Taurus) Any improvement until they're replaced with something nicer is a welcomed one. Let's see how long the hold up...
5edec647a236b58836064deb29dce989.jpg

b14492980c8e067218f8866e7df1bc15.jpg

Went ahead & painted the slide since the shop was set up.
31a79fa95153eb59b09373b614ab1a0d.jpg

74783e240476f1ee9f483ce036fcd436.jpg

Last edited:
An old thread but still relevant I guess. One type of paint that holds up under use and stays bright is the paint marketed to color jigs used for fishing. It is modestly priced and you can find it at most any sporting goods store.

Over the past 35 years I've tried all kinds of paints, nail polish, Brownell's sight kit, etc. trying to find the best way to paint sights. Absolutely the best products I've found come from Glow Inc.

They last the longest, work the best, and have a page specifically dedicated to painting sights and how to do it. They have paints that are glow in daylight, glow in the dark, or both.

The glow in the dark paints need to be "charged" (exposed to light) and will glow quite brightly for about 1 hour and continue to glow at a dimmer level for up to 10 hours.

As with anything that works well - the products are not inexpensive, but they do work better than anything I've found for painting sights in 35 years of using different products searching for "the best."

Based on your recommendation I just bought a 1/2 ounce jar of the Glow V10 ultra green paint, and I have to tell you I am quite disappointed.

I am not blaming you as I perhaps misunderstood the nature of this product, or perhaps I got a batch of defective product. Perhaps you can lend some insight on what I should expect or have expected.

I read through the information on the Glow website under the "projects" tab for painting gun sights. The only paint they recommended was the V10 ultra-green glow in the dark paint. Accordingly, I bought a jar through Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Green-G...12296&sr=8-10&keywords=glow+in+the+dark+paint

Based on that photo, I expected to receive a jar of pretty intensely neon green paint that would be green in the daytime and glow green (after charging) at night.

What I received was a jar of cream-colored paint with absolutely no green color whatsoever in daytime light conditions. I put this jar under a bright light for hours yesterday to see if it would "charge" and turn green. It remains without any green color. In the dark it glows faintly green.

Is this what I should expect from this paint, or is there something wrong with it?

I called the number for Glow customer support. Got a message saying CS was unavailable which seemed odd since I called at 1:30 PM CST on a Friday. I left a message and have not received a return phone call as yet. Also directed a question to the seller through Amazon.com. Have not yet received a reply but it has only been a day.

I wanted a paint that would allow a contrasting front sight dot that could be easily picked up in daytime conditions that would have the secondary benefit of providing some glow at twilight. This stuff is useless for that purpose. I would much have preferred just using some bright green, orange, or yellow nail polish with no glow in the dark capability. I think that would stand out better in dim light conditions than the pathetically weak glow of this paint.

Glow-on paint applied on my Arcus 94.
The paint is white, glows glows for a minute in greenish-white color when "charged" for a second or two with a flash light. After application of the paint a layer of clear nail lacquer is added.
b6a47d4691c2652300e579bd32b5c703.jpg

sent from smartphone

Based on your recommendation I just bought a 1/2 ounce jar of the Glow V10 ultra green paint, and I have to tell you I am quite disappointed.

I am not blaming you as I perhaps misunderstood the nature of this product, or perhaps I got a batch of defective product. Perhaps you can lend some insight on what I should expect or have expected.

I read through the information on the Glow website under the "projects" tab for painting gun sights. The only paint they recommended was the V10 ultra-green glow in the dark paint. Accordingly, I bought a jar through Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Green-G...12296&sr=8-10&keywords=glow+in+the+dark+paint

Based on that photo, I expected to receive a jar of pretty intensely neon green paint that would be green in the daytime and glow green (after charging) at night.

What I received was a jar of cream-colored paint with absolutely no green color whatsoever in daytime light conditions. I put this jar under a bright light for hours yesterday to see if it would "charge" and turn green. It remains without any green color. In the dark it glows faintly green.

Is this what I should expect from this paint, or is there something wrong with it?

I called the number for Glow customer support. Got a message saying CS was unavailable which seemed odd since I called at 1:30 PM CST on a Friday. I left a message and have not received a return phone call as yet. Also directed a question to the seller through Amazon.com. Have not yet received a reply but it has only been a day.

I wanted a paint that would allow a contrasting front sight dot that could be easily picked up in daytime conditions that would have the secondary benefit of providing some glow at twilight. This stuff is useless for that purpose. I would much have preferred just using some bright green, orange, or yellow nail polish with no glow in the dark capability. I think that would stand out better in dim light conditions than the pathetically weak glow of this paint.
I tried nail polish at first. Testors is the truth. The colors are brighter than nail polish & goes on thinner, easier to apply & last longer. Plus they're way cheaper. Non acetone will work the same to remove. I have a black light in the bedroom that makes the sights pop like no other. I'm actually in the process right now. I'll upload some pics when I'm done.

I tried nail polish at first. Testors is the truth. The colors are brighter than nail polish & goes on thinner, easier to apply & last longer. Plus they're way cheaper. Non acetone will work the same to remove. I have a black light in the bedroom that makes the sights pop like no other. I'm actually in the process right now. I'll upload some pics when I'm done.

What type of Testor's paint did you use? I am familiar with their enamel paints that come in the small glass jars. But they also make acrylic paints. If you used enamel, what color did you use?

Glow-on paint applied on my Arcus 94.
The paint is white, glows glows for a minute in greenish-white color when "charged" for a second or two with a flash light. After application of the paint a layer of clear nail lacquer is added.

Well, that looks considerably better than the pathetic glow I am seeing with the "Glow" paint. But it still provides no front sight contrast in daylight conditions, correct?

What type of Testor's paint did you use? I am familiar with their enamel paints that come in the small glass jars. But they also make acrylic paints. If you used enamel, what color did you use?
Enamel, I used orange fluorescent for the front sight & yellow fluorescent for the rear. Don't forget the white base coat. I used flat white.
70eccb6dfcc9a49e0e26af2184955609.jpg

It depends how it's applied. Initially I've painted only the small dot in the front sight and it was OK for general use. Now I have the whole back-side of the front sight painted. When you shoot fast at dark colored targets up to 10 yds. it's perfect but if you shoot at white paper targets or you try precise shooting...well things don't look that good then.

sent from smartphone

Enamel, I used orange fluorescent for the front sight & yellow fluorescent for the rear. Don't forget the white base coat. I used flat white.

Thanks for the info and prompt response. I just ordered some of the Testors fluorescent enamel. I have already painted the dots with flat, white acrylic. I will try applying enamel of acrylic. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and prompt response. I just ordered some of the Testors fluorescent enamel. I have already painted to dots with flat, white acrylic. I will try applying enamel of acrylic. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
No worries, help is what we're all here for. I'll post some photos later. I'll even take some in the black lights. The Testor's colors are so much brighter I decided to repaint the slide engravings as well. Should be done today.

*Updated photos:
40c2adf22ecf1b8a46d2a2b1844e4f16.jpg

78f94d4a0ef7d5064603e4b81c1104f7.jpg

a6c782ef5117d2f642273f8ef6a575ce.jpg

3d8c68a3ed3b35c54078991a8405f9b6.jpg

8d7dd6c1607c9b6e648e2026a759a7f9.jpg

5213e40fc4b3a6b0f861403d94c15bb1.jpg

Last edited:
Back