good sight paint?

idek

I have a gun with solid black rear and front sights, and I'd like to paint some small dots on them to increase visibility. I did an internet search and saw products such as "bright sights" but they seemed to get poor reviews with claims that the paint didn't adhere well.

Does anyone have suggestions?

I use nail polish. Easy to remove with nail polish remover, should I decide to go back to black, or change colors. The metallic reds, golds, greens, and oranges work well. I don't get too many funny looks at the store...

BTW, clear nail polish is excellent for covering nicks in your car's paint, to prevent rust. Ensure any dirt and/or water is removed prior to sealing.

Also, be aware that gun cleaning solvents will eventually erode nail polish, so you'll occasionally have to touch it up.

When you use nail polish, do you use the brush that comes with it, or do you use something else?

For a front sight, yes.

If you are trying to do 3-dot, then probably more like a toothpick, or one of those very small artist's brushes. I haven't tried to do that, yet, just highlighted some front sights on my Model 13 and Model 442.

The only thing that works for me is scruffing up the finish with a little light steel wool or sand paper followed by auto touch up paint.

Birchwood Casey also makes sight paint. The kit I have comes with a white base paint and an orange top coat. I've had very good luck using it and it seems to hold up well to wear.

I've got a Bright Sights kit and I've not been happy with it at all.

I was looking for a solution for my Blackhawk recently and asked my wife for the most bright/obnoxious color nail polish she had. When I told her what it was for she gave me a bottle of "Piggy Polish" brand nail polish. Apparently it's meant for toenails and is a bit harder than the standard fingernail polish so it lasts longer. The bottle she gave me was a bright gold and it works well. Held up well all through hunting season and is still going strong.

With the Bright Sights paint, a couple of reholsterings and it's already starting to come off. With the "Piggy Polish" it's taken many repeated holsterings and not worn at all that I can tell.

I have had good luck with metallic sharpies. It does wear off eventually, but it's easy to reapply. I keep the sharpie in my range bag.

Simple, Testor's model paint,...

used the blaze orange and yellow to "gradate" the front sight serrations.

Seems to last a couple of years.

If a flat surface might not stay put for awhile.

Ive tried the nail polish and it just dont hold up very well then tried some actual sight paint again that stuff just seems to soft ?? so I ended up getting a fluorsent paint marker in two colors one Fluorsent green and yellow, the worked great and have held up a whole lot better than all the other paints ive tried... I got mine from this place very cheap and they have alot of good colors..

http://www.jdindustrialsupply.com/fluorescent-valve-action-paint-markers.html

I use Testors model paint. Clean the sight first with rubbing alcohol and let it dry. I use a toothpick to apply the paint. If you put down a base layer of white paint and after it dries paint with color of your choice, it is likely the color will be brighter.

I believe Dura Coat has some glow in the dark paint for sights.

Ive tried the nail polish and it just dont hold up very well
If you apply the clear stuff first, let it dry, then apply the colored polish, it seems to hold quite well.

A local drug store once had a clearance on old nail polish. The stuff was in the most garish array of colors you could imagine. I bought a ton of it. Wicked Thunderbolt (I'm not kidding) was a shockingly bright orange, and it worked well for the front sight on a S&W 19. I'd reapply it about every 3rd cleaning.

Of course, being a bachelor, I had all that stuff in one of my kitchen cabinets. You know, above the coffee cups, and next to the Hoppe's. One day, I had a special lady friend over for lunch, and when she went to get a cup out, she just paused, stared at the hideous rainbow, and calmly stated, "I don't want to know about your ex."

I had some that worked great (apply with toothpick) and accidentally busted the bottle. Went to find some and now cannot find that kind at all. Had it awhile. So, now looking at the different paints as well. The kind I had was iridescent..... but not a glow type.

My M&P 9c front sight fell out after only 50 rounds so I used my wife's white nail polish and let it dry. I then put some clear nail polish over the white polish and it has worked great. I applied it all with a tooth pick. I've since put over 2,000+ rounds in that gun ... all with that same nail polish.

I use Testor's model paint. Either the bright yellow or Chartreuse green works best for me. Simply clean the sight blade with alcohol or Brake Clean and apply the paint with a toothpick.
My son got hold of some Glow-in-the-dark paint which works well but requires an undercoat of white. Application is the same it just takes longer waiting for the primer to cure.

If you are looking for a glow-in-dark product, I will recommend "Glow-On". Available on internet. Works quite well in the dark, or near dark. In daylight it is just white. I use it on one pistol and a lever action with iron sights.

White Appliance Paint

LCPwCTWhiteDot.jpg

I took a tooth pick up and cut it in half, then sanded down the rough end. I then went to Lowes and bought some white appliance touch up paint. I took the slide off and placed it in a padded vise. I wiped it clean with some rub alcohol to prepare the surface and let it dry.

After a few practice dabs on a plastic lid, I popped a white dot or oval on the front sight. It has been there for a couple of years, after several range trips and cleanings. I have yet had to replace it.

I also added a CT Laser. Just in case.

Ignore the white spot on the rear that's just a reflection of light from the camera flash.The appliance paint doesn't glow in the dark. But it's a quick, inexpensive fix that works.

Back