Good News, Obama not reinstating ban

With recent polls showing a sizeable majority of Americans rejecting new gun control laws in favor of enforcement of existing ones, the anti gun rights folks are temporarily short on ammo. They will need more media reactions to shootings and more reports on how easy it is to get guns at gun shows, etc. to resupply their ammo dumps. They will have to battle on other fronts, such as the economy, banking issues, auto industry issues, somali pirates, etc. for the time being. If those other fires become controlled or die down on their own, the anti gunners will turn their attention to more gun control. It's not so much a matter of "if" as it is a matter of "when". Carolyn McCarthy stated that when she brought the issue up to team obama, she was told not now, that's for later. How much later and how much effort will be employed to attack gun rights? We must stay on alert, at least at the orange level. Keep writing, emailing and calling your congress folks. Keep the pressure on them to stay away from our rights, rather than letting them pressure us to give up some of our rights in order for the blissninnies to "feel" safer.

He is obviously going to push for one whenever he thinks he has a chance. If it crosses his desk I am sure he will sign it.
Eric Holder, talking to Katie Couric last week:
I don’t think it has and in fact, I look forward to working with the NRA to come up with ways in which we can use common-sense approaches to reduce the level of violence that we see in our streets and make the American people as safe as they can possibly be. (...) These are issues that we’ll have to discuss. The president will be the one who will ultimately set policy — things that are politically saleable and things that will ultimately be effective.
Robert Gibbs, in Thursday's press briefing:
I think the President is looking for a coordinated strategy to deal with violence. (...) I was asked specifically about assault weapons. I think the President would — the President believes particularly that there are other strategies that we can take to enforce the laws that are already on our books
Holder's now talking about working with the NRA, who, no matter what you think of their actions in the 1990s, will not concede another AWB. Gibbs' bit about "enforcing laws already on the books" takes another page directly from NRA literature.

They've realized that the NRA, along with a sizeable pro-2A contingent of the Democratic party, can sink them. Would they love to have another ban? Sure. Do they think they can get it? No.

Never hurts to keep your ear to the ground, but I don't see any chance of another ban even making it out of committee.

I've heard and read the words but am still a skeptic. The anti gun history of the president and a large number of his staff don't make it very easy to believe they won't pursure additional gun laws when they see an opportunity.

I've heard and read the words but am still a skeptic. The anti gun history of the president and a large number of his staff don't make it very easy to believe they won't pursure additional gun laws when they see an opportunity.

But that opportunity won't be until at least 2013. I doubt he or anybody on his staff wants a return to "win the northeast and west coast and fight desperately for Ohio or Florida" campaign paradigm, which is exactly what they'd be facing if he signs anything substantial before November of 2012.

It's posturing time right now...you're going to see the usual stances from the usual suspects calling for the usual measures, as well as maybe some lukewarm lip service from the White House. But I'd put good money down that nothing significant passes for at least four years. Maybe not even for eight...I'm sure they'd like a shot at keeping the White House for more than one administration, assuming a win in 2012.

Supreme Court appointments are the issue for the foreseeable future. Our primary concern is probably the risk of a bench stacked in favor of gun control...no so much because it might allow for increased federal gun control (again, even a SCOTUS ruling won't eliminate the political fallout that would cause) but because it would allow continued/increased infringement at the state/local level.

EDIT: None of the above is to imply that we should hit the showers and call it good for a while. We still need to remind our elected representatives of these realities from time to time, or they will forget.

For you belivers I have a bridge fof sale in Brooklyn, and some beachfront property in New Mexico Thats free of illegals.

There is still a lot that can be done with existing laws. My mind jumps straight to 922r compliance and how they can bring out the hammer of inspection and get a lot of "assault weapons" off the market and the streets because of red tape.

Something to consider. The party in the whitehouse has lost seats in just about every midterm election. Those currently in power don't want to do anything to make it worse than it is already likely to be.

Those in power are not currently pushing new gun control. This has absolutely nothing to do with some new found belief in gun rights and everything to do with a desire to stay in power.

I watched the video, I didn't like the way the guy was stuttering his answer. Not believable, definitely the worst WH speaker I have ever seen. The guy from the TV show "Lie to Me" would have a field day analyzing this video. It's too late for all that after two or three high level officials have called for tighter gun control so our neighbor to the south can be safer from our evil.

A couple of years ago I didn't see the harm in gun registration but now I can see if you couple registration with just one or two elements from the "new AWB" we've all read there are some troubling possibilities. Also I can see how that could lead to the micro-stamping or other forms of ammo control.

And I don't think those two possibilities are paranoia...it's just a logical progression based on "Hey, we're registering and tracking guns already. Doing the same for ammo should be no big deal".

When he said ammo tracing my eyes popped. He didn't really elaborate, but the submitted legislation that I've seen is so obviously a start up company trying to force the country to use it's product, and a very defective product at that.

First, you need to know the context of the remarks. Obama was visiting Mexico. Mexico complains about U.S. guns, not because it is a sizable crime problem; but because it is a lever to ask for more money out of the U.S. government.

Second, I have no doubts Obama will sign an AWB if it crosses his desk. The question is whether he would push for one; because without serious arm twisting from the Democratic leadership (to include the President), an AWB will never cross his desk. Even with serious arm-twisting, it isn't clear that one would cross his desk, so that is a big political risk to take.

Third, Obama did remark that he would like to adopt a 1997 weapons treaty that President Clinton proposed but that the Senate refused to ratify. I think we need to find that treaty and see what is in it - if Obama wants to pass gun laws, this is a very stealth way to do it - and even better, it only requires a vote in the Senate so it would be easier to pass. We definitely need to find out what is in that treaty and get vocal on that.

As far as a renewal of the federal AWB, I just don't see it happening this term. They don't have the votes right now and won't have until Feberuary 2011 at the earliest (unless they want to make it a major effort and they have too many other projects ahead of it). If they wait that long, it is campaign time already and Ohio, Florida and PA are still the critical states to win.

The treaty is the key. Ratify it in the Senate and it becomes law. Arguably it may even supersede the COTUS. I believe that treaty was rife with taxes and total registration. No bans, just tax the weapons out of our hands with no grandfather clause. I don't recall all the treaty details and can easily be wrong but the NRA needs to dig into this now.

Back