Good long range hunting round?

The 25-06 doesn't get a lot of play, but it is a fine long range cartridge. With 120 grain bullets it has a great BC and is capable of taking pronghorn as far out as you'd ever care to take them. I'd even hunt elk with it.

Depends on what your hunting for. First of all, I don't recommend uncommon cartridges unless you hand load so no weatherby .257's ..etc.

For small/medium game like antelope or Texas white tail deer, a .243 shoots pretty flat and I'm comfortable with it out to 400 yards on those critters. The .270 worked well here too.

For medium/large game the .30 06 or .308 are great for large 300 lb mule deer, hogs and elk.

For Very large game like Kodiak bear, moose etc, my brother uses a .375 HH, I use a .300 WM. The .338 ultra mag is good here too as long as you can handle the recoil.

But for and all around cartridge...
The .30-06 is a can't misd

I have shot deer and antelope at long range with 257 Roberts Ackley rimmed, 6.5-06, 270, 7mmRemMag, and 300 WinMag.

Next month I will hunt with 6mmBR, 25-06, 7mmRemMag, and 308.

Long range takes target practice.

Either the .308 or a 7mmMag...

have both and the 7mm by using a differnt powder can mimic 7x57mm. No need for the 7mmMag for MI whitetails.

The ,308 can switch the 165 gr Sierra bullet from teh SPBT or the SBTHP, have talked with Sierra TEchs and they recommended the HPBT for Elk due to heavier consrtuction and slightly increase my powder charge.

Nay bneed to consider what is common sold in your area.

Good Luck

Back