Good entry level 1911 9mm

Its hard to beat the RIA ultra series (or whatever RIA calls it now) for around $600 you get a ton of upgrades including fiber front sight, adj rear, mag well and G10 grips plus others. all of my 1911s are RIA and STI. I sold off the Springfields because my RIA ultra guns were more accurate (not as pretty but more accurate)

For a entry level 1911 in 9mm the RIA, Taurus, Citadel come to mine, you may find a used Ruger or Springfield? I have an older Springfield in 9mm and love it. My first centerfire gun I ever shot was my dad's Colt Combat Commander in 9mm so they hold a special place for me.

The 9mm 1911's are fun and cheap to shoot (VS something like 38super) and are often over looked or looked down on by the 45acp only 1911 snobs. Be sure the tiny G.I. sights are something you really want (they are standard on a lot of entry level guns), it is usually cheaper/easier to step up and get something with a Novak style sight VS trying to upgrade later.

Last edited:
Hi rcollier,

If you think you might want to keep a 1911-A1 in your inventory, I'd go with be best quality you can afford. 1stmar's recommendation was excellent. Save a few hundred more and you can buy a Springfield Armory TRP. My bet if if you were to buy a TRP, you won't shoot your strikers again.

I used to own Colts. I've dumped a Series 70. I've sold a Series 80 Officers Model. I've never trusted either. The Series 70 was of mediocre quality. I've never felt comfortable with either gun, which is why I replaced them with Springfield Armory.

The OP, rcollier, is looking for an entry level 1911 in 9mm. Since Caspian does not make guns and their parts are not considered "entry level," there is no point in discussing or even mentioning Caspian.

Also, since the OP specifically asked about 9mm, it is off-topic to detour into discussions of why 1911s should not be chambered in 9mm. 1911s have been offered in 9mm since Colt introduced the Commander in 1950. That's nearly 70 years. Today almost every maker of 1911s offers at least a few models in 9mm. Those who wish to help rcollier might do so by addressing the question.

My RIA "Rock" standard (formerly tac 1) was a little under $500 from Gallery of Guns. It is accurate and has been dead reliable. Never a malfunction of any kind.

All my 1911s are Colt Series 70s except one that I inherited from a cousin and it is a WWII Remington Rand/Ithaca.

I bought my 1st one in 1976 and it is still my primary shooter. I used to carry it, but I switched in 2004 to a lighter carry gun.

All of them are well made, never had any problems with them, and they are all accurate.

I shoot mostly 200 gr cast SWC nowadays, with some 230 gr cast once in a while. Seating depth can be finicky with the Colts, and I am sure with other brands as well, but once you get it right, it is some sweet shooting.

I'd recommend Ruger for either the full 5" SR1911, or the 4-1/4" CMD. The two that I own, are in every way, comparable to my Colts, (several with gunsmith fitted and tuned Wilson bbl's and bushings) and cost 2/3's of the price.

Out of the box, both of mine had triggers that broke at 4-5 lbs. with little creep and improved over time. Each has all the features I thought necessary for a combat oriented, carry .45 except tritium sights. With SS construction, excellent hi-visibility Novak type 3-dot sights (wish they were tritium however), a beveled mag well, checkered back strap, humped grip safety, match grade bbl., & good sized (read not over-sized) controls, they have all the tweaks I want and none of the arm chair commando BS.

Aside from a few of my over-length reloads with LSWC's, both guns have been virtually 100% reliable for ~4500 rounds now. Lastly, you've got Ruger's excellent customer service dept. if a problem arises.

YMMv but they're first rate in my opinion. Rod

IMHO, if I couldn’t afford a DW Pointman (PM) 9, which would be a top choice, I’d opt for a Colt Competition 9mm 1911. I have direct experience with a friend’s Colt Comp 9mm and this is a really nice setup. Based on having shot this one during several range sessions, this one should work for its intended purpose.

My own STI Trojan 9mm 1911 is out of production, can’t replace it, and I’ll never part with it.

Last edited:
Colt if you want the real 1911.

Any of all the rest if you want a reasonable facsimile or "just as good as only cheaper" imitations.

Colt if you want the real 1911.

Any of all the rest if you want a reasonable facsimile or "just as good as only cheaper" imitations.
While I haven't reached the "if it ain't a Colt, it's just a copy" stage, I do agree with the idea of getting a Colt Competition Model in 9mm. It'll be right around $900 but should run without any fuss.

My one caveat would be you might want to swap the dual-recoil spring assembly for a standard single-spring and guide plug. The dual assembly is offering oversprung and overkill for a 9mm, especially with a heavy 1911 slide and barrel.

For the record, I own 2 Colt Competitions, one in .38 Super and one in .45 ACP, and both are great pistols.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

P-990: said:
My one caveat would be you might want to swap the dual-recoil spring assembly for a standard single-spring and guide plug. The dual assembly is offering oversprung and overkill for a 9mm, especially with a heavy 1911 slide and barrel.

Agree 100% that the DRSA in the Colt Comp 9mm 1911 is “possibly” over-sprung for a lot of lighter charge & weight 9mm loads, which many 9mm 1911 guns might not handle very well anyway.

I highly recommend the Wilson Combat (14lb.) Flat Wire Recoil Spring with the full-length 1/4” guiderod & plug. This is what I have in my STI Trojan 9mm 1911, so I can confirm this setup works.

In that price range, I would buy a Kimber. They are, in my opinion, one of the best values available.
The Colts and SA pistols I've owned in the past don't perform as well as the Kimbers I own and from my past experience with Colt repair service, I would never own another Colt.
I've owned a number of Kimbers over the years and each one has been a superb shooter, 100% reliable and trouble free.
I don't care for the full length guide rods or nylon mainspring housings they use on some models but those issues are easily fixed.
I was pleased to see my new 9MM stainless target come in with the old short GI type guide rod and stainless mainspring housing. It has proved to be one of my most accurate 9MM pistols and 100% reliable.
Some guys don't like Kimbers but I don't understand why. I've shot them alongside my Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown and Dan Wesson 1911s and, in my experience, they compare very favorably for a lot less money.
I'm basing my opinion on actual use rather than something I read somewhere. I've been shooting 1911s for 48 yr and have owned a bunch of them during that time.
My two cents.

I would recommend looking at Springfield Armory. I carry a Range Officer Compact 45 on a daily basis, and my shooting buddy bought the 9mm version after shooting my gun. You can choose a 4" compact or a full size Range Officer which both offer 9mms. I favor Springfield because of their excellent customer service, which in my opinion is the best in the business, and exceptional value for the quality. Good Luck with your decision, and let us know what you choose.

For cheapest that has a decent reputation for reliable- and great reputation for customer service- Rock Island stands out: as has been mentioned.

I have 3 of them currently- 2 in .45 and 1 in .38Super. They make a 1911 in 9mm I believe, or, you can buy the .38 Super and swap out a 9mm barrel with it.

In my RIA 1911's, I am a bit of a trigger snob, and have sent one or two back [after the 500 round break in] when I noticed something a bit 'off'.

They fixed it, and I had the head gunsmith at that time [Arnel- he does GOOD work, at reasonable prices] slick up the action a bit.

I am VERY happy with them.

Once I was at the range and did my 'normal' range routine. This involved 50 rounds slow-fired, 2 handed standing at 7 yards. I achieved the standard I set for myself- all of them in a space of about 3"x4" oblong.

This isn't anything special- but enough to make me confident of hitting center mass- not side of the mass.

When I pulled the target in, a couple guys to my left [shooting 1911s] asked what brand 1911 I was using. I told them, and they said I should do a commercial for RIA. I didn't comment about shooter skill- but let them think it was the gun, as it is ok skill, but not really exceptional. that would be 50 rounds into a 2" x 3" oblong for me.

Their groups were more like 10" x 16" on the target- and they were using a Colt 1911 Gold Cup and a Kimber [Trophy I think? I remember thinking it was about a $1300 gun around 2013, whatever it was]. I remember them commenting they could have bought 2 or 3 of my RIA 1911s for the price of their pistols, and my groups were 'SOOO' much better.

Again- probably not the gun's fault.

The moral: more expensive won't create a good shooter. And a RIA that you practice with will probably make you happy.

NOW, Star Model B was brought up. The B has a swinging link, and the B Super has a barrel lug more like a BHP or something. They are very 1911-esque.

Their triggers can be made to work very well, like a 1911. However, some differences:
1- almost NO access to spare parts or aftermarket parts. If your extractor doesn't work, you can spend $150 to have a couple made for you [or around $100 for one], but the gun only costs around $300.
2- magazines may be spotty in use.
3- some barrels don't like anything other than steel shells.
4- no grip safety.
5- thumb safety blocks hammer from pivoting- unlike 1911 which blocks sear from pivoting, and allowing hammer to drop.
6- sights are 1911 GI sights- no better.

They ARE fun, but I wouldn't recommend one to someone who really wants a 1911 in 9mm. I'd say just get a RIA and ammo.

We have a Springfield 1911 in 9mm along with 2 in 45 and Dan Wesson 1911 in 45. Got the 9mm used for about $500 and it is a keeper. We also had 2 Colt 1911s, not in 9mm, that were sent down the road as they were mediocre at best. If you want a 9mm 1911 the Springfield is a good choice and worth a look. Good luck with whatever you decide.

The Colt is the real one, others are copies. some of the copies are better than the Colt. The Dan Wesson are real nice guns but they are pricier than the plain Colt or SA. The Ruger or Kimber after the Colt or SA. The Colt and SA are the bet you're gonna get for under 1000.00.

I could not be happier with my Ruger 1911 Target 9mm! At under $800, you get a pistol made in the USA with a 4.25 trigger and bull barrel. The SS Target has a fully adjustable rear sight. At 42oz, it is a soft shooter and makes a great range pistol! Mine has not had a single malfunction! I did add a fiber optic front sight on mine. Good luck!

For entry level I don't think you can beat the Ruger 1911s. Very nice made in America pistols in 9mm and .45ACP in Commander and full sizes.

Back