good budget bolt action rifle

Savage 10. The 10T offered by Cabelas can be purchased on sale at times for $499 (normally $599). Available in .308 or 6.5 CM. Or spend more a little more get a different 10 model that comes with a 10 round magazine.

A Weatherby (Howa) might should be on your list. This modestly priced rifle has proven to be reliable, accurate and well-made and finished. I like mine a lot.

Based on your specs, two I would recommend and have shot regularly for a long time are the Remington 700 PSS and the Savage 110 tactical. The PSS is superb and I shoot it easily out to 500 yards without much thought. Same with the Savage. It's much less expensive but very good. I'd advise a new stock but overall this rifle is quite good and well priced. You can add good glass and stay on budget. The PSS is a good bit more expensive but has been nothing but outstanding in my use. You have quite a few good options here.

Rick H.

Anything made by Savage.

Not just cheaper. They are as good as a Winchester or a Remington. They just don't look as fancy.

Anything made by Savage.

Not just cheaper. They are as good as a Winchester or a Remington. They just don't look as fancy.
...With an awkward safety, a bolt handle in the wrong place, and a face like a pig.

Like Remington, Savage puts fairly decent barrels on their rifles. But, for me, the rest of the package is garbage.

Thompson Center also makes the Compass. 3 position Winchester style safety, threaded barrel, detachable magazine ,60 degree bolt lift, an accuracy guarantee and other goodies. They did a segment on Gallery of Guns. At under $400.00 it may be worth a look.

While I can't go against anything said thus far, have you looked into used guns? People buy stuff, shoot once or twice, and decide they really didn't want it... or are looking to upgrade to something better.

I found a Remington 7 KS in .308 at my FFL, which was priced extremely well. Was a hunter's gun, but not molested and came with a 2-7x Leupold. I yanked the base and scope, tossed on a Picatinny rail for the mount, and picked up a 4.5-14x Leupold Mark 4 (Black Friday off MidwayUSA, and was the exact scope I wanted). Still have to get rings, but have a few other things ahead of it. If I sell off the original Leupold, you'd have somewhere around $300-400 for your optic and bipod.

Take a look around, and look hard at any rifle that interests you. You will find some great deals... but be careful of basement gunsmithing.

I don't know the safety is awkward, its just not very movable, still wind sup being the same.

I pretty much never used a safety, didn't keep a round in the chamber, chambered as needed.

If the bolt handle is wrong place then where would you put it?

Nothing different to me form a 1917, 1903, Remington, Rugger, Sako and lord knows how many guns. All a slight bit different, but all fine to me.

Maybe I am just ham fisted?

Ugly? I sure do not think so, good looking guns, solid classics, I have a lot of compliments on mine at the range. Mix of Savage OEM stock, aftermarket barrels but people sure do take a shine to them.

"Bo

..".With an awkward safety, a bolt handle in the wrong place, and a face like a pig."

jcolon95: From what I hear You saying, an old used HD Barreled Savage Bolt Gun should fit You perfectly. All of my Son and I`s Used Old Savages in 308, 30-06, 22-250, 223, and 243 that we have bought over the years are all just tack drivers for us. And this is a perfect time of the year to find a good price on a used Savage Bolt Gun because most all the hunting season are over now. Start hitting the LGS, Pawn Shops, read the Want Add`s in your local papers. And start haunting the the rifles ranges and local rifle shoots in Your area. And let people know just what You are looking for. And You will probably surprise Yourself with just what You will fined, and probably with a halfway decient scope already attached.
Good Luck To You:
ken

Ruger American, I own several, all are MOA or sub MOA on my handloads. Most were MOA out of the box with the .270 being the one exception.

Its nice to be at the range with a cheap rifle and out shoot the guys with three times the money in their rifles. The RA isn't the best looking thing at the range or in the woods but my motto is function over form. And its damn hard to beat the warranty.

I have never had any issues with any of my RA's

I have the following;

30-06

The American is a good rifle. My only issues with them were the stock being too flimsy and the magazines falling out. I bought a new one for my son this month and they appear to have fixed both issues on the new production rifles.

Ruger American, I own several, all are MOA or sub MOA on my handloads.
Most were MOA out of the box with the .270 being the one exception.

Its nice to be at the range with a cheap rifle and out shoot the guys with three times the money in their rifles. The RA isn't the best looking thing at the range or in the woods but my motto is function over form. And its damn hard to beat the warranty.

I have never had any issues with any of my RA's

I have the following;

30-06

I see a challenge here!

Are we defining MOA with 3 shots, 5 or 10? I shoot 5 and sometimes 10.

No one other than my brother is outshooting me these days, all my Savages I have less than 700 into.

The scopes vary form 1000 to a poor mans Cabella that matches up with the best of under 150 when I got it.

A bit hard to say where I am, I am doing a lot of load development.

All shoot under 5/8 regularly, I got on 1/4 inch the last shoot of the range season (bad conditions of cold and wind and gloom) and the others best was 3/8.

Back