good budget bolt action rifle

My favorite budget bolt was a Stevens 200 junk stock but good action . I did end up buying a camo clad hb axis in 223 last year and love it . Not as nice as a 12 but I was on a budget and 339 after rebate was a great price . Like I said it wasn't a 12 but it was almost 250 cheaper in my area . I still basically used that for mounts , rings and scope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Save yourself some money and skip the useless bipod. If you are at the range, then use a real rest. In the field, a bipod is a worthless weight that only serves to catch brush (other than perhaps for some really long-range stuff in open country out west).

jcolon95,
Have you narrowed down your search for a bolt 308 yet? Just curious as to which way you are leaning after seeing all this input. Keep us up to date. Thanks.
Chris

When I started this journey I said to myself I have a ruger 556 and it is great why not stick with ruger. Then I started my research and I have learned more about bolt action rifles than I expected. And I have learn that no matter what entry level rifle I choose I will be giving up something. Since I am new to bolt Acton rifle I figured this forum would help me narrow it down. But no matter what I choose it can be a hit or miss. So far I have naroowed it down to a ruger or a mossberg. The ruger seems to be a solid rifle which I can add a good scope and a bipod but I have written to mossberg to find out if they have fixed the bedding problem. And the only reason I am considering the new mossberg patriot night train in 308 is because I found a package deal that give you a rifle, 6-24x50 scope, bipod, mussel break, and cheek riser for under $700. But only if I get a good reponce from mossberg. All the info I have received is great I thank you all for your input.

Are you referring to the Ruger American?
If you want a shotgun Mossberg is a good option, for a bolt action there are several better options for the money.

The combos I posted earlier will ALL be better in function and longevity and very likely repeatable accuracy than the American or Mossberg.

If you like the American or Mossberg I understand but asking if there are better options will yield you many more options.

At first when I didn't know any better I was thinking of the ruger american. But I took a look at the ruger m77 or even the MVP. I also looked at the savage hug hunter. Even the weatherby . So I am looking at all my option. Hopefully with all the info I am getting I will find what I am looking for.

Instead of picking up my mom from the airport a month or so ago, I went and unexpectedly found myself in a gun shop (Franklin Guns, Franklin, TN). Wandered around for a couple hours (she missed her flight so I had +4 hours) without buying anything.

Then I ran into the Ruger American rifle rack. Oh crap! Memories of buying my son his first rifle when he was one year old: Remington Model 7 Youth in 7mm-08. Killed tons of deer with that rifle while "breaking it in" for him. Found the same thing except it was the Ruger American Compact, also in 7mm-08.

Yea you guessed it: Bought another Rifle.

Except that isn't the end of the story. After I worked on the trigger ( 2lbs via Bic pen spring) and adding a Vortex Diamondback 3x9-40, I've killed five does with that rifle. All but one were one shot kills, DRT.

And now I went and bought another one: This time the RA Predator in .223. After I'm done with the trigger (now 2 lbs 2 oz) and installing the free 3x9-40 china-crap scope, it will become my new Coyote Rifle. I'll also use it for deer this year as well.

You want a good accurate, well-affordable hunting rifle? Look at the Ruger American, read all the on-line reviews, watch all the youtube vids: It's the real deal.

Savage.

Any Savage bolt action is better than the price.

Buy a gun that fits your shooting style. The Caliber is less important than your ability to use it. Personally I am a fan of the 6.5 X55 Swedish Mauser.

Yet I own Mostly 7MM Remington Magnums...

underrated Venture

Check out the thompson center venture. Its an extremely well built and rugged rifle. Just the magazines alone are leaps and bounds over the terribly weak savage ones. Im not exactly crazy about the ruger rotary either. Plus the 5r rifling, 60° bolt throw, easily adjustable triggers and very solid, well bedded stocks are a nice touch. Unlike some other rifles the venture triggers actually adjust and are consistent. Did i mention they come in compact versions as well?

Frankenmauser--fire control housing

If you don't mind sharing, how does the fire control housing on a bolt rifle get damaged/broken? I own a Marlin X7 and it is a sweet little rifle. If there is something that a shooter does that breaks that housing, it would be nice to know, as that gun is my go-to deer and speed goat gun. Thanks!

Colorado Redneck -
To be honest, I really don't know.
I've pondered the same thing, since I still own several Marlin X7s, and there's still at least one Rem 783 in the family.

But, it's a common enough failure that it regularly shows up on the Marlin forums (where people are primarily trying to source parts for less than Numrich prices - for both the X7s and 783s).
Most claim something along the lines of the trigger taking a hit from the side, when being dropped; or catching a cut branch stub while being lowered from a tree stand; or being stepped on. Or, the trigger got smacked during cleaning or other work that required it to come out of the stock.

When I first started seeing the reports, I was an absolute disbeliever. I gave many replies along the lines of "How the 'heck' do you break a trigger housing?!" But as I looked into it more, and saw more reports, I finally just had to accept that it's a bad design and/or bad casting.

It didn't hurt that when I started seeing those reports, I was working on an AR magazine conversion for an XS7 in .223 Rem, and that fire control housing had some obvious flaws in the casting, right around the mount holes.

It's entirely possible that there are bad castings out there, and/or people are over-torquing the screws and cracking the housing.

But...
I wouldn't sweat it, if you have a rifle that you already trust.
My first X7, a 2009 JM XL7 in .30-06, took more big game in two years than any other rifle of mine has over its entire lifetime. I have no plans to get rid of it.
And I recently rebuilt the .35 Whelen that I built on a Remlin XL7. Again, no plans to get rid of that one.

I just won't buy another one.

Thanks for the reply. I bought this Marlin because every nice gun in my safe has been scratched, dropped, stepped on, etc. Since the X7 has a pretty durable looking composite stock it seemed the perfect gun for a clumsey old man stumbling around hunting. That info you shared may cause a heightened awareness and I will try to take more care of the little gun. I hope.

Don't expect the greatest accuracy from a bargain basement rifle. If you get it, consider yourself extremely lucky.

If you're into shooting for the long term, consider waiting a bit and getting a serious rifle. I'm not saying "really expensive", just a decent quality rifle like a Rem 700 Varmint, which can be had for about $599 at Dicks and other places. The difference between what that rifle can do at the range and some of the cheap sporters is amazing!!!!

Get a decent scope too. A Bushnell Elite is the bottom I'd consider. A 4-14 Mueller, if available, is a very nice scope for the money. It's bright, clear, and has good adjustments. If not available, my bottom line is a Bushnell Elite 3-9. Better quality and for about $340 is the Leupold VX2 3-9X.

You're in a hurry to find something, but don't compromise too much. It will bite you where it hurts.

Walmart has a Remington 700 with el cheapo scope for $377. Aren't remmy 700s supposed to be the bees knees?
In my opinion, much of the 700's reputation for awesomeness comes simply from the fact that they're dirt-simple and easy for anyone with some mechanical skill to work on.

Personally... not a fan.
I very much dislike them, in fact.

I throw a rifle in the truck with me virtually every day, and they get beat around some along the way. I've got plenty of quality guns and always stayed away from bargain, bottom line guns. One day a friend of mine brought a brand new Ruger American over to my range in 6.5 Creedmore with a Nikon 3x9 on it (not my favorite choice of scope either). We pulled out some factory 120 grainers and proceeded to shoot a number of 1/2" 100 yd groups. Some of the groups were probably actually a little smaller even with most shots touching. Before I left there, I bought the rifle from him and he had to go find him another one which he set up exactly the same way. I've been dragging it around in the truck since that time and it shoots my reloads of 123 Gr. SST bullets into the same little groups.
I finally took the goofy trigger safety thing off of it, but otherwise it is stock. At the price range they sell these, I think it's one of the best bargain out there and it will outshoot a lot of rifles that sell for twice the money. I've shot hogs it quite a bit, including a number of hogs and 3 deer this year so far....and I don't even worry about scratching it up or dragging it around with me.
You would have to look a long time to find more rifle for the money as far as I am concerned.

Back