Good all-around carry/shooting revolver?

I carry a Smith and Wesson 586 L Comp and highly recommend it. Performance center trigger, 7 shot cylinder, compensated barrel, decent weight, and night sights. Night sights come in handy if you encounter a threat in the dark. In the process of upgrading the factory night sights to big dot XS sights.

I replaced the factory grips with some Ahrends tactical grips - no snagging on clothing with these and feel great. Hope this helps.

Glenn Dee
My suggestion would be a S&W model 13 in 4" or 3".
The only drawback is that you'd be limited to heavier 158 grain ammo when shooting .357...

Just curious, why would you be limited to heavier 158 grain ammo when shooting .357?

Just curious, why would you be limited to heavier 158 grain ammo when shooting .357?
13 is a K frame - same as 19 only with fixed sights. It has the same weakness for lighter bullets (cracked forcing cone) as the 19 has.

A 19 or 66, 4" for me but I do have a 2-1/2" 19 that handy, I shoot 4" guns better. The L frame guns are on the heavy side but are real shooters, maybe S&W's best for shooting.

34xs3ur.jpg

Durability , and GP100 , go together like peas and carrots

21bw376.jpg

The Security Six is a bit lighter than a GP100 , but it is a great revolver ..

3" SP-101. It is the most versatile revolver out there. Small enough for CCW, and stout enough for the heaviest 200 grain hardcast .357 loads. And it will outlast your grandkids.

But, yeah, get Hogues if you shoot .heavy .357. Your middle finger will thank you

The S&W K frame .357 revolvers have been rumored to suffer from flame cutting of the forcing cone with the lighter .357 ammo. I have never seen it, but it's on the Internet so it has to be true.

I had a S&W Model 13 .357 Mag with 3" barrel and round butt grip frame. A truly great revolver. I used to shoot .38 Special mostly with some .357 thrown in. Wish I never traded it.

The Model 13 was one of the FBI guns at one time. Would highly recommend it.

The S&W M69 is an L frame 5 shot 44 SPL with a 4.2 inch barrel, but S&W has announced a new snub version with a 2.75 inch barrel. I had the 4.2 inch version, but have sold it in anticipation of getting the snub model when it becomes available. The one I had was very accurate and well built. The snub should be a good alternative for the Charter Arms model. For carry, the five shot L frame is a good trade off for the larger N frame six shooter.

Best,
Rick

What works for me

My Ruger GP100 .357 Mag in a outside belt holster under a loose shirt/jacket is very comfortable all day. For power, dependability and accuracy it's very hard to beat.

-------------------------------------------------------------
"Progressives" right to hold infantile, unrealistic, pacifistic, irrational beliefs stops where my safety begins.

The Smith M69 is a duty sized revolver with a commensurate weight. On the belt in a good OWB holster its about all that I'd want for all day carry but is difficult to conceal as you'd expect. I'd say that for nightstand use it's about right. Glow in the dark sights would improve its capabilities in that regard. Too, those big .44 slugs are a solid choice if over penetration is not a concern. My M69 is a tack driver and a favorite for all day toting here on our farm and I routinely keep it loaded with Skeeters old favorite: 240 gr LSWC's at 950-1000 fps. Accurate and deadly on anything shootable here in KY.

For trips to town I generally pack a 3" bbl'd Smith M60. Lighter and plenty powerful for that duty, it's no sag on a good belt in an OWB holster.

HTH's. Rod

For SD, you might try a S&W 340PD.

It's a bit stout in the recoil/firebreathing department for a .357 range gun.

I carry one for SD sometimes, but with .38SPL loads.

Mine has the lock; I don't know whether you can get one without.

OTOH, everybody needs another 3" SP101 :).

W

Back