Good all-around carry/shooting revolver?

My main carry gun is a .38 J-frame. While I've been keeping an eye out for one of two revolvers as an upgrade: a 1980s .44 Bulldog like the one I had long ago, or a Taurus Tracker 455, which is no longer made. The 455 was basically an upsized J-frame in .45 ACP.

3" SP101 is my "all around" revolver. It's like a swiss army knife, it will perform most tasks reasonably well. I would put the K frame Smiths in the same category.

3" SP-101
3" Model 686 or 686+
3" Model 60

The 686 holds 1 or 2 more rounds than the others but is the largest and heaviest. The Model 60 carries great but really works better with .38+P than .357.

So get the Ruger. You want to anyway, and it's the cheapest and most durable.

There are two reasons I would carry a revolver. Personal protection or hunting.

For hunting, I want a large revolver in a powerful cartridge such as .44 magnum or a full sized revolver that chambers a rimfire cartridge. A Ruger SBH or Single Six fill the bill for my hunting revolvers but a double action Smith N or K would work just as well. I sometimes carry a J frame Smith in .32L but I might sell it.

For a personal protection revolver, make mine an Airweight or Airlite in .38+p. If I'm gonna carry something heavier than a 642/342, it will be a semiauto.

For a range gun, nothing tops a four or more inch K frame in .38 Special or .32L.

I'm leaning toward a 686 or maybe model 60 or model 66 i like its classic shape. One thing I don't like about rugers are they have the tang grip except for the single action and i like the exposed backstrap if i use wood grips, just me, and Im just more of a smith guy between the two. Haven't bought a new smith yet, but I do like some of the new ones. I also have my eye on some of the new Classics that Smith has out, especially that 44mag model 29! But that might have to wait a bit :)

So I'm a pretty big revolver guy, and looking for a good self defense home defense and shooting revolver, all in one.

For a good home defense gun that's still good for range shooting, you don't need to go shorter than 4". Once you think you may CWC, then you need to think shorter. But in your house, on the nightstand, even a 6'' is not too long. For the majority of folks, longer sight plane gives them more accuracy and longer/barrels with more weight gives less recoil, meaning more pleasant to shoot, thus they shoot them more often and get more proficient with them.

I'd suggest a S&W 686 in 4'',5'' or 6'' lengths. You will never be disappointed.

I own and sometimes carry a SP 101 3 inch only thing I changed out was the grips to a pair of hogue and love it only down side is the front sight but nothing a little paint cant take care of.If you used to own one and liked it I'd go back to it..

Why would anyone want to load a home defense gun with 357 rounds? Why wouldn't 38 or 38+P be enough, firing away in the house? It's your hearing.

steel taurus model 85. reliable, accurate, decently priced. can be ccw. heavier steel absorbs recoil well. mine from early 1980s is a keeper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

all round carry, defense, shooting/plinking gun.

My suggestion would be a S&W model 13 in 4" or 3".

The only drawback is that you'd be limited to heavier 158 grain ammo when shooting .357...

The carry as easy as anything else as there are very few sharp edges like on the Rugers. They weigh a bit less, they are IMO perfectly balance, carry 6 rounds, are capable of shooting .38 spl and S&W .357 magnum. no shortage of accessories available. Can be had at reasonable prices. Come in all different configurations. Round butt three or four inch barrel

Last edited:
I tried a 3" 629 with 44 Specials, just too heavy. I like the Airweight S&W's for light weight casual carry. A Ruger SP101 or S&W 60 when doing yard work etc. When heading out in the real world I feel nothing beats a higher capacify light weight semi-auto. My personal favorites being a Glock 19, 26, 23 or 27. But I can shoot my revolvers much more accurately. They both have a purpose IMHO.

Ruger Speed Six .357 (or even a .38 Spl. version.)

They can be had if you look.

Or a S&W 65/64 with 2 or 3 inch barrel. The 65 is in .357 and 64 in .38 Spl.

attachment.php

The two are my Speed Six 2 3/4 inch bbl and S&W 2 inch 64.

Either will do to ride the river with.

Deaf

When going lite clothing, i usually ...

go with a J-frame.
With cover jacket / sweater, either a 4" M15 or SS6 or M39-2 9MM. ISW or shoulder holster.

I also say one of the Ruger "Six" series guns. I have a Ruger Security Six with a 2.75" barrel and I love it. Handles the .357 carry loads very nicely and still really fun to plonk with .38 specials. I can also conceal it nicely. The 3" SP101 is also a great choice. I have one of those on my list to get as well.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Well, Mr Hill, I think everyone was thinking about double-action revolvers. But I am in hearty agreement with you. Ruger single action, absolutely. 44 or 45 caliber will do.

A Smith and Wesson 19 or 66 should do you fine, as will a Ruger Security Six. Both are 357 magnum and will also shoot 38's if you choose to. They can be carried reasonably comfortably, they shoot like a dream at the range and pack a punch, and they will do just fine on the nightstand.

A Smith and Wesson Model 10 is also an excellent choice. It's 38 special and packs a little less punch, but it's durable, classic, and will serve you well.

For fighting I prefer a semiautomatic all day long, but if I could only have one handgun that had to cover all the uses I might ever need a handgun for it would most likely be a Ruger Security Six or Smith Model 19/66.

Last edited:
Back