Good all-around carry/shooting revolver?

kyguy1

So I'm a pretty big revolver guy, and looking for a good self defense home defense and shooting revolver, all in one. It has to be durable, well made, and pack a punch. I don't have a particular caliber in mind, but it has to be durable and solid. I had a Charter Arms Bullldog, because I love the 44 special round. But that gun showed stress micro cracks after just a few rounds, and felt rather poorly made to me. I sold it. I had a Ruger sp101 in 2.5" and absolutely loved it. It felt completely natural in my hands, and was extremely well built, shot .357 out of it like nobody's business. Don't know why I sold it. I have a nice Smith Model 19, but it's more a safe queen. I'm looking for a good solid tough revolver I can shoot for fun, use as nightstand and practical self defense weapon. I'm really considering another sp101 in 3" this time, or a Smith Model 60 or maybe even Model 69. I like the Model 642 too but think it might be a bit too small because I like shooting magnums a lot and want something tough enough for those. I really like the .44 special round I was very accurate with it, but the Charter seemed less than durable.

So should I get another sp101 and call it a day, or try one of the new Smiths? What do you guys think about the double-action only ruger vs the single/double action? Never tried a da only before but I like shooting da and that's how I'd protect myself in a sudden situation. I gotta say, I like the new Kimber k6s, but it sounds too pricy for me.

Last edited:
sounds like you are describing a S&W 686..or Ruger GP100....for "all around" use....

but stand by for a flood of choices....

I had a gp100 before, wasn't crazy about it, very well made, but just didn't feel right. Too clunky. The sp however felt great. But I'd probably want it in 3" this time. I really like that smith 66! I gotta say I love Smiths, never owned one of the new ones though.

Best I ever had was a S&W Model 15, with 4" bbl. Adjustable sights, bitchin action in SA or DA, deadly accurate, and packed like a dream in a shoulder rig. Never felt like 38 Sp. wasn't enough.

Whole rig got stolen from me, and I've never been as happy with anything since jd

I'm just not a fan of 38 spl myself. I tend to go more based on what caliber I prefer and then narrow it down to the revolver I feel can handle it best. Now I really like 357 in the right gun, but I also really like big bore calibers.

I have always thought I would like one of those N Frame, S&W, 8 shot, lightweight jobs with the 2" barrel for serious carryin' firepower. 8 rounds of 357 MAG is nothing to sneeze at.

In the used market, a Security Six or an S&W N frame. I have both Dan Wessons, my favorite revolver is my 1968 Colt Trooper 357.

I am unsure of why you have the Model 19 as a safe queen. Is it because it is too nice to carry or is it because it is to large to carry?

If you like the Model 19, then you will also like the Model 66. I have a 2 & 1/2" barrel Model 66-2 that is a nice size but on the heavy side for my personal desire to carry.

I don't think you will want anything smaller with magnum rounds. I have no issue with .38 Specials which opens up a lot more smaller choices.

There are several more revolvers that shoot the .44 spl. round if that is your favorite. A lot of good .357 mag. out there new or used. Colt Trooper mkIII S&W has many Ruger Higher dollar there are Colt " snakes".

686+3"

This is mine. Carried it today, in fact. Smith 686+ 3" bbl. Shoots fantastic. I'm an average sized guy and it hides away under a t-shirt and windbreaker.

686-3inch_zps08c99226.jpg

If the SP101 felt perfect in your hands, you probably wouldn't want to go larger. Just get another one. They are solid and durable, just like you want.

I agree with you that the 44 special is a great round. You can always buy one later to shoot for fun.

The model 19 and 66 are both K frames...the 686 is a little bigger " L" frame.... ( and all .357 mag)....but in my view all of the K frames in 2" or 4" are very easy to carry .....and all priced in the $700 - $ 900 price range ...depending on condition and engineering revisions number...because some dash numbers are more sought after than others...

All 3 models would be good choices in my view....

Personally, if I were somehow limited to one handgun for life, I would chose my 3" SP101. It is small enough for concealed carry (with, say, .38 special loads to preserve my hearing), but it is also the smallest revolver that can fire the heavy .357 Buffalo Bore 200 grain hardcasts I carry in bear country (I recommend Hogue grips). It will honestly do it all. And it will outlast your grandkids. Plus it is not so pretty that I worry if it gets a scuff or three.

A .357 mag, stainless, Security Six with 6" barrel works for me............at least for a range gun..............which is all I use it for anyway.
The half lug on then S6 just seems to balance and feel better then a full lug??
:cool:

3 inch 686 would be perfect. Easy to hide and will handle any .357 ammo you want to put through it. If you want smaller, the Model 15 is a great gun. I like the adjustable sights.

Back