Going to Alaska - what to bring with me?

If it were me, I'd use my Glock 29 with Double Tap's 200 grainers, or Underwood or Buffalo Bore. I'd also use it's Glock 20 mag with sleeve for extra capacity. But I'm afraid I'd also want my SAR-48HB with me, though not in it's heavy, huge, present configuration. Always said that nothing in my inventory would instill in me greater confidence than a fast-firing .308 with 20 round mags. Maybe one of those SA M1A Socoms? That might be pretty handy. Hunting is one thing. But protection is something else entirely, and I just don't think you can swat one of those big bears too hard, if your life depends on it. And, bear spray would be a given, of course.

drobs,

You can kill a bear with a 22 rimfire to the head.

Still doesn't make it a good choice for bear.

I find watching other people do stupid things to be highly entertaining. However I do not want other people to end up watching videos of me doing something stupid, so I'll keep recommending something a bit on the heavier side than an x39 based cartridge.

Lets just say that the videos you linked are highly entertaining.

And don't forget to bring a bear.
After all the discussion, it would be a shame to go all that way and not have a bear encounter.

I would get I high capacity 12 ga.
First three slugs. Remainder double oo. I would shoot it enough to be good with it.

And don't forget to bring a bear.
After all the discussion, it would be a shame to go all that way and not have a bear encounter.

It would be a darn shame... I guess if that happens, I will just have to console myself with the knowledge that at least I got a new gun out of it. :cool:

Forget the bear, bring mosquito repellent.

Yep.

PSA: Mosquito repellent is applied topically the person who does not want to get as many mosquito bites. Bear repellent is to be sprayed AT the bear to hopefully reduce the number of bear bites. :D

A friend of mine went on a family reunion trip to Yellowstone. His Aunt handed out bottles of bear repellent to everyone. His grandmother proceeded to douse herself with magnum bear repellent...she spent 3 days in the Hospital.

You can bring the knowledge, that bears have a gag reflex...and you can stop a mauling by shoving your entire arm down a bear's throat.

Google: hunter shoves entire arm down grizzly bears throat survives attack

Last edited:
You can bring the knowledge, that bears have a gag reflex...and you can stop a mauling by shoving your entire arm down a bear's throat.
Google: hunter shoves entire arm down grizzly bears throat survives attack

Interesting. But I'd still rather take my chances with my 10mm G40, loaded with hot HC boolits, and a 20" .375 rifle or a 12ga pump with slugs.

I've read where some people have done well against unexpected bear attacks with a 30.06, shooting 200gn or 220gn bullets of good construction ...

... While I'm sure that's worked (at least as documented by the accounts), for stopping the charge of a big bruin I'm still biased toward a more powerful cartridge that pushes a larger bullet - assuming the shooter can hit with it.

This has been an interesting thread ...

So, ... if I lived up in the remotes of the Last Frontier, and could pine away my retirement time fishing every day for salmon off a river bank, I'd still have my G40 holstered center-chest - but I'd also have my .404 Jeffery within immediate reach at my ankles, except, maybe, in a synthetic stock instead of this one ... :eek: The wood's way too prettified to get rained on. :D

The ultimate bear-repellent: .404 Jeff. by AHR, Inc.

Last edited:
to me the choice is obvious, the Rossi Ranch Hand, you choose between the .44mag or 45LC(i choose the 45lc). Small, light, powerful cartridges and good capacity with quick and accurate follow up. you said you like lever guns anyway, so this is a good oppotrtuninty to buy a lever pistol, and have a powerful firearm that can be easily strapped to the outside of your backpack. Doesn't hurt that they are also affordable. it's very old-timey tacticool to be able to flip/cock the mare's leg, but personally i find the large loop to be, not only obtrusive, but a hinderance to quick foolow-up's, depending on the costs, i would swap out with a standard lever. Every other company that sells lever-action's also sells some version of the mare's leg type pistol, but generally with a very hefty price tag. maybe it's not as practical as i think, but i want one pretty bad
https://youtu.be/b4tDOHL_Sqs
https://youtu.be/gAmoEYH_uzQ

terrible youtuber, but not very many vids that show active shooting, very begging and end show the general tecnique of shooting this type of gun
https://youtu.be/33HOy7ovchg

You can gag a grizzly. Long, long ago, a hunter was grabbed by a lion. Ever felt a cat's lounge? He grabbed th a t sandpaper tongue and yanked on it. It couldn't bite.

A friend of mine was.in ELin Alaska. I found it surprising when he told me that most people forego the grizzly weapon and carry an ar type, counting on that to get through ANYTHING.

Skizzums, I have to say that I really want a Mare's Leg style gun, and the ranch hand is high on that list, both because it is less expensive than others, and because it loads through the side, instead of the front of the tube, like on the Henry. My preference for that particular gun is .357, though. You think that would be a good option?

I'd prefer a revolver over a semi auto pistol for bear...because you can break-open the action on a semi auto by pressing the muzzle against the bears skin --- that would put it in a non-firing mode.

Head shots are chancy at bears, because the bullet has a chance to ricochet off the bear's skull.

I'm still waiting to use my custom made Mauser rifle in 338 Winchester Magnum; for bear.

BigMikey, i am far from any hunting expert, so i wouldn't have the credentials to tell you if a .357 would be an effective calibers in such a rare occurance. like many other's say on this forum, and link to the stories, that pretty much any caliber from a .22LR to .460 have killed bear on many occasions. I think for someone who is to rely upon factory loadings, the .357mag would be the better choice, if talking purely ballistics. But their are some real-world advantages to the colt, the most important IMO being the concussive blast of the high pressure .357 vs the low boom of the 45colt, recoil will also be somewhat less in the 45LC if talking "factory loads". am more interested in the 45 personally because i hand-load, and the action of the lever and the amount of barrel around the bullet allows you to load up to the "Ruger Only" territory, with research and close attention to work-ups. In that regard i thing the old 45 can be the winner if your talking shorter distances of 100yard and under. You can load the 45LC to 44mag levels and possibly beyond if so desired, it's the factory loadings that cannot prejudice the type/age of the firearm being used, so can only safely be sold to what the weakest link can handle. They do sell specialty loading from Buffalo Bore and the like that will reach these levels, but at a high cost, and at that point, why not just go for the 44mag.

the 357 is a very lethal chambering, and it gets even better out of a ten inch barrel like the Mare's Leg type firearm. I don't think the statistical risk and the apples to oranges ballistics between the two, that you could very well say that either in better than the other, and i don't see any black and white reason to not just stay with the much cheaper 357mag and have the benefit of having some fun with the .38spl when at the range.

even factory loads can get the 357mag to bark out a 158gr bullet close to 1600FPS out of the extended barrel of the lever pistol, and the 45Colt can push the heavy 225's at 1300 with premium loadings, faster with the Buffalo Bore. But either way, you can see that they appear to have similar energies, but with different philosophies behind their ballistics. Maybe a more experienced hunter could give you the better answer.

for a non-reloader, i hate to say that the most beneficial of the available chamberings is likely the 44mag. and that also comes with the benefit of the 44spl for fun. Since the likelihood of this firearm actually being used against a bear during your fishing trip are so unremarkable, i would just get the caliber that you want to own when it's also not just there to save your hide. Factory 45LC is stupid expensive and 44mag isn't cheap either. i wouldn't trade my Rossi 92 in 357mag.38spl for anything, if i didn't already own that, i wouldn't be seeking the 45LC, the 357/38 is way too much fun not to have, and even the 92 rifle is about as light and handy as you can get.

There is always the option of carrying a compact pump shotgun. Never, ever underestimate the power of a magnum 12 gauge slug.

3" slug, 1-38/ oz, 1,500 fps, 3,014 foot pounds of KE. Bore size is about .70.

Remington 45-70 soft point load:

405 grains (only .92 ounce), only 1,300 fps, and only 1,590 ft lbs energy. Bore size is .45

Most people would figure a 45-70 as being adequate as a bear stopper. It's not even close to the twelve gauge in sheer brutal whacking power.
the drawback to a shotgun slug is that it isn't as accurate as a rifle, the trajectory isn't as flat. If the consideration is only that a huge hit can be placed on a target under 100 yards, there's not a lot to debate.

Back