Going to Alaska - what to bring with me?

I spent a great deal of time in the area surrounding Fairbanks.

Take several Single O silver mepps spinners, and small flies that look like 'skeeters.

You're going to run across a lot of Grayling and Small trout.

* * * You're going to run across a lot of Grayling and Small trout.

Man, after a long day of fishin' and bear-dodgin', those sound like they'd make for some tasty grilling, and go well with, say, 3 or 9 beers. :D

"...Something us Alaskans can never seem to agree on..." Isn't just ya'll. snicker.
Your buddy's Mini is not a .308 Win. It might be an early Mini-30 that had an incorrect .308" barrel though. From back when the was little 7.62 x 39 ammo available. Any 7.62 x 39 123 or 125 grain bullet would just annoy Yogi.
Take the shotgun and use slugs. Mind you, the chances of you ever being fast enough to recognise a threat, get the shotgun out, aimed and fired accurately before Yogi is on you, are slim.
How are you getting there? If you're driving, you will require Canadian licencing just to drive through. Not really as big a deal as it sounds though. Go here and comply with Option 1. http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm
Oh and in May it's not the mosquitoes. It's the black flies. Mosquitoes sip a bit of blood and make you itch. Black flies take out a chunk of your hide.

If it were me I would take a .44 mag, (short barrel, maybe 6"), SS and in a nice chest rig. If you are not hunting why bother with a cumbersome rifle. If you just want a long arm then carry a shotgun. But for fishing/hiking/camping, a side arm will protect you. Your in defensive mode, not offensive.

Another plus for the bear spray

I am getting ready for a similar trip. In that I am driving I can pretty much bring whatever I want. However, I too have been looking at a 45-70 guide gun in stainless finish. Will have my .454 Alaskan on my body. I like the lever guns because they are so rugged.

colbad I am getting ready for a similar trip. In that I am driving I can pretty much bring whatever I want.* * *

Could be wrong, but if you're driving through Canada the firearms you bring are limited to what Canadian law permits to enter their jurisdiction ... Probably lever actions and wheelguns are okay, but aren't semi-autos prohibited, whether it's pistols or rifles?

How you expect to take them there will have a lot of ramifications on firearm choice. Driving through Canada, handguns may be out. But assuming you can get them there and there are no limitations.... the following applies.

No expert here and only applying common sense.... if I were going, I'd take along my 4" M-57 Mountain Gun with an assortment of ammunition. I feel that the M-57 is a little heavy to carry in a belt holster fishing, so I would look for a good chest rig that I hope would be comfortable.

The second and third firearms I would take is my M-700 in 270 Win and my 12 ga police shotgun which has a sling. Because I own them.... I would probably carry the shotgun fishing IF I notice bear activity that troubles me or hear of such. But generally speaking, with black bears, I'm pretty comfortable with the M-57 or a 357 mag revolver and honestly don't carry anything hiking in black bear country other than my usual carry or a 22. Everything depends on how remote you're talking about where you intend to travel and hike and so forth.

Question: What firearms do you already own that you might consider taking?

I would make do as much as possible with what you have already as you probably don't need any firearm, only bear spay.

A synthetic stocked rifle might be an advantage, due to the possible wet conditions of Alaskan territory --- A wooden stocked rifle might swell up on you...which would change the zero on the rifle.

Good luck...

Erno

Since it is not a hunting trip, spray and a pistol would be my choice if I had to buy a firearm.

But of the firearms I own, it would likely be my pump 12 gauge. It's faster than the bolt action hunting rifles for follow up shots.

I think I have decided based on some of the advice I got in this forum to avoid Canada and take the Ferry across. That way no issues with Canadian permits.

T. O'heir said:
"...Something us Alaskans can never seem to agree on..." Isn't just ya'll. snicker.
Your buddy's Mini is not a .308 Win. It might be an early Mini-30 that had an incorrect .308" barrel though. From back when the was little 7.62 x 39 ammo available. Any 7.62 x 39 123 or 125 grain bullet would just annoy Yogi.
Take the shotgun and use slugs. Mind you, the chances of you ever being fast enough to recognise a threat, get the shotgun out, aimed and fired accurately before Yogi is on you, are slim.
How are you getting there? If you're driving, you will require Canadian licencing just to drive through. Not really as big a deal as it sounds though. Go here and comply with Option 1. http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...visite-eng.htm
Oh and in May it's not the mosquitoes. It's the black flies. Mosquitoes sip a bit of blood and make you itch. Black flies take out a chunk of your hide.

You do realize that the most common cartridge for poaching big game in Africa is 7.62x39?

Elephant, Lion, you name it, the 7.62x39 has killed it. Sure it was mag dump but it got the job done. 20 to 30rds of 7.62x39 is nothing to sneeze at.

I think your best defense is certainly avoiding a bear or moose confrontation as most would agree. However if your left in a situation that gives you no other choice I would want to make sure you have something in a chest rig like this http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57771_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
Along with some hard cast bullets you will not be undergunned with anything short of a locomotive. 44mags are fine as an alternative, the 460 is really lost in anything less than a 8" barrel.
I dont know if it was mentioned or not. But any handgun is an issue if you will be traveling through Canada

You do realize that the most common cartridge for poaching big game in Africa is 7.62x39?

Elephant, Lion, you name it, the 7.62x39 has killed it. Sure it was mag dump but it got the job done. 20 to 30rds of 7.62x39 is nothing to sneeze at.

Yup, the spread of the 7x62x39 makes it a common cartridge pretty much everywhere. And if you shoot enough of it at something eventually they will die of something, blood loss, infection, etc.

But that doesn't make it a good choice when facing an angry Alaskan Brown bear.

Would be better than harsh language though.

Jimro

Question: What firearms do you already own that you might consider taking?

Nothing appropriate, unfortunately. I have 2 9mm pistols that I CC, and 2 .22lr rifles for bunnies and squirrels. I can just imagine shooting a grizzly with a .22 - I think those Alaskan mosquitoes hit harder :D

The Ruger 454 Alaskan comes to mind. A Ruger 454 Super Redhawk is not out of the question, though shooting a 454 Casull round in an enclosed space --- without proper hearing protection --- will probably blow your eardrums out; well on down to a 357 Magnum.

Last edited:
If you are in a confined space needing to shoot a bear or moose with your .454, I think you have bigger concerns than hearing loss:eek:

I have the Alaskan in .454 and its a great gun as a last ditch effort to avoid getting eaten. Flame out the end will also cook your target on the hoof if its a close shot. I put hard cast Buffalo Bore ammo in it when I go to Alaska fishing. If you have ever seen that big bear mount in the airport you realize how insignificant a handgun really is.

Yup, the spread of the 7x62x39 makes it a common cartridge pretty much everywhere. And if you shoot enough of it at something eventually they will die of something, blood loss, infection, etc.

But that doesn't make it a good choice when facing an angry Alaskan Brown bear.

Would be better than harsh language though.

Are these bears armor plated? Telling me 5 to 10rds of 7.62x39 to a bear's head is not going to drop it?

Here's a fella hunting black bear with a 9mm.
Point blank in the head:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bbh1kxmFTM

9mm vs Grizzly in Alaska:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126359

5.45x39 AK74 vs Brown Bear in Alaska:
http://www.adn.com/article/20130729/turnagain-arm-trail-closed-after-hiker-kills-charging-bear

Are these bears armor plated? Telling me 5 to 10rds of 7.62x39 to a bear's head is not going to drop it?

I see two factors of basic biology at work here.
1. As a general rule, the larger the animal, the slower the heart rate. The average cat has a heart rate between 140-220 beats per minute. The average person is 60-100, and the average grizzly is 40-60. Slower heart rate means slower bleed out, which means slower death. Even if the first shot is a mortal wound, it could take a while for death to actually come a knockin'.
2. Just like any other animal, bears will produce adrenaline during a confrontation, which makes for some really unpredictable actions and reactions in an animal. If an adrenaline fueled deer can run 200 yards after its heart and lungs have been turned into soup by a hunters bullet, a bear can certainly have enough life left in it to end yours.

Put those factors together with the fact that there is a lot of skin bone and tissue to make your bullet less effective before it hits anything vital, and you have your answer. Armor plated? No. Tough as hell? Yes.

Back