Going to Alaska - what to bring with me?

BigMikey76

I have just been invited to spend two weeks in a cabin in Alaska next May. It is fairly remote, and we are likely to see all kinds of wildlife. While I don't think there will be any large predator related problems (read "bear") I would like to be prepared. My first thought is a Marlin 1895GBL in 45-70. Plenty of power, and a short barrel for convenience in the woods. The buddy that invited me says he usually carries a Mini 30 in .308, figuring that quick follow up is the most important factor. Then there's my dad. When we lived near Fairbanks during my childhood, he always carried a .44 mag revolver on camping trips, and insists to this day that is all that I will need.

Of course, I don't have any of these guns, but I have the next 7 months or so to decide, save and purchase. What would you bring?

First where in Alaska are you going? What is the weather like for that time of year? Are you in brown Bear, grizzly bear, or black bear country?

Alaska is a huge place with wildy varying terrain and climate. I'm guessing clothing, rain gear , and waders should be first thought, you have a higher chance of injury and death from exposure than you do animal attack in AK. Bear spray would be my first defensive measure against bears, follows by a good sidearm of .44 Mag or similar. That'll leave your hands free for other things since it doesn't sound like you're going there for hunting.

He said it's not far from Fairbanks, maybe an hour and a half drive. It is not a hunting trip, but we will be putting the fishing poles to good use. As far as other gear, that is already either owned or on the list already. I'm only asking about guns here because this is a gun forum, not a thermal underwear forum;).

For me, A semi .308 carbine/rifle would fit the bill (My HK G3K clone), and probably my 10mm Glock 20 as my sidearm/backup...

Your 45/70 has plenty of power, but i prefer more capacity to go with it...

45-70 is over rated and with more recoil than necessary. I'd take a 30-06 if I were carrying a long gun. That, loaded with quality 200-220 gr is what the Alaska F&G recommends, but I'd keep a handgun in 44 or 10mm on me at all times. The ammo you choose is more important than caliber.

If you'll be standing in a stream fly fishing, a handgun in a shoulder or cross chest rig would be high on my list. Bears coming out of hibernation will be hungry and they will smell that fish in your creel.

45-70 is over rated and with more recoil than necessary.
The 45-70 with proper ammo is ideal. I'd take a 45-70 with a 400 grain Swift A-frame @1800 fps over anything you could fit in a 30-06 for big animal defensive purposes. Recoil is noticeable but livable. We're not talking about a plinker.

The short answer: bear spray.

Here's the long answer:

I have three friends of mine that are/were bear hunting guides in Alaska or Canada, and many years ago I asked them all at one time or another what handgun I should buy for grizzly bear defense. All of them replied, "None. Bring a 20 inch 12 ga. shotgun loaded with bear slugs. And be accurate with the first two. After that it won't matter."

What it came down to, according to the professionals, is that very few people can be accurate enough and fast enough with any handgun to stop a bear on a charge. You're better off using the spray.

According to them, a handgun is for when the spray doesn't work, or the bear ambushes you and either way closes to contact distance. At that point you press the muzzle against the head/ribcage of the bear and empty it as quickly as possible. And hope the bear either runs off or dies before you run out of bullets.

Now, I haven't been to AK, but I have been to MT and I've seen a grizzly in its natural environment. There is no way to convey in words just how awe-inspiring they can be. I was carrying my .44 mag, but my first line of defense would have been the spray. I know my limitations with my guns, and they only get tighter as I get older. And although I'm confident that most of the time I can hit what I aim at, I have absolutely no interest in attempting to kill a bear if I don't have to.

Peace.

May, near Fairbanks ? Good bug protection is important.
A 12 gauge loaded with Brenneke's and bear spray is what
I carry, when out of town. A short barreled 44 magnum in
a chest rig is very popular with the fishing people.

We have big box stores here and even the grocery stores
have guns, ammo, bear spray and other hunting and fishing
supplies.

Hope you have a great trip !:D

You will need a 20mm antiaircraft gun for the twin-engine mosquitoes.

For the four-engine mosquitoes, use proximity fuses in the 20mm shells.

For the bears, the guide who suggested the shotgun had it right. Lots of fishermen carry one.

A "mini-30" in .308?

As in a Mini-30 not in 7.62x39?

I may have misunderstood him. I'm not a semi-auto rifle guy, so I really don't know what is available in what chambering. I prefer lever actions (too many cowboy movies as a kid, I guess), which is why my first thought was the 45-70. At this point, the .44 mag is the front runner, I think. To paraphrase FITASC, a shoulder or chest rig will be a lot more convenient when I'm up to my butt in a stream trying to catch my dinner. I will definitely be packing some spray, as well. Who knows, maybe I can convince my wife that I will need the .44 AND the 45-70... A guy can hope, right? :)

45-70 is over rated and with more recoil than necessary. I'd take a 30-06 if I were carrying a long gun. That, loaded with quality 200-220 gr is what the Alaska F&G recommends, but I'd keep a handgun in 44 or 10mm on me at all times. The ammo you choose is more important than caliber.

Pretty much agree if you feel compelled to bring both a rifle and a pistol, plus the appropriate ammo for both, ... but that's a lot of "gun gear" to fly up there.

Since it's a fishing rather than a hunting trip, I'd take just my 10mm G40 (here's your opportunity to get one - :D ). Ammo would be some version of a 200+grain Hard Cast load that I'd previously vetted to feed and cycle reliably. Load-out is 15+1, plus another 15-rd mag within reach on your fishing vest. You won't need more than that.

The holster would almost certainly be an Alaskan Guide Holster (AGH). Here's the AGH linky (scroll down for the G40 references):

http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php

Your hands stay free to work the fishing pole (or whatever), while the AGH keeps the gun ready in center-chest position for quick action. And any time you're outside the cabin, you always have the pistol on you - with or without a rifle.

Once there, I'd see if my buddy had a buddy or a neighbor who might be accommodating enough (with some cash added) to "loan" me his short-barreled 30.06 or a 18" 12ga shotty with slugs (my preference would be a 20" .375H&H) to keep with me at the cabin. Since the OP stated this was only a 2-week fishing trip, it would be less of a traveling-hassle if a long-gun was available locally.

Last edited:
You don't want even the shortest long gun if you are butt deep in water.

Although...my folding stock SCAR .308 might be shorter than butt deep, I'll check.

Of the handguns I have I would take my Freedom Arms .454 Casull. I got mine used fairly cheap.

Pepper spray, first and foremost

Well, if you're talking self-defense tools from large predators, carry a LARGE OC spray (that you know exactly how to quickly un-holster and use) on your strong side, and that .44 mag revo on you weak side. Always go for the OC spray first. I live in brown bear country now (not AK) and am learning from the locals. The OC spray is usually very effective, and when it is effective, it is normally immediately effective, whereas with a gunshot, even if you fire off a mortally-wounding shot, it will usually not immediately stop the attack, which could be the difference in killed or not, or wounded or not, or killed vs. wounded.

As for long guns, you may or may not get in trouble / cited if carrying a long gun without a specific tag, depending on where you are exactly (probably not though). In addition, they're heavy / cumbersome, and you will probably want one or two hiking poles in your hands instead (or a hiking pole and a camera, or a hiking pole and binos, or a hiking pole and nothing, or binos and nothing, or....). I'd leave the longgun behind for sure if just hiking / backpacking, and not hunting. But if just "camping next to the pickup", then why not? An 1895 SBL Marlin, or a short-ish (20-22") .375 HH mag / .375 Ruger / 9.3x62mm turnbolt would be my choice.

Last edited:
I checked my SCAR and it can quickly be swung into action while slung any number of ways and still fish.

I'd rather have 20 rounds of .308 than anything else you could fish with.

Mosquito

The Alaska state bird is the Mosquito.
Bear spray...yep
Pistols.....when I was last fishing in AK, I carried a borrowed Glock in 10mm. easy to carry when fishing...lots of power (it aint no .44./.454), good penetration.
The 12 gauge pump gun is a good idea....lots of other sporting use also/
Pete

Something us Alaskans can never seem to agree on is which gun is best to carry. Most of us, however, wind up carrying one of the affordable marine shotguns and stuff it with slugs. Either that or a good 30-06 is a great choice. I know a lot of fishing guides who carry 10mm glocks and swear by them. This may be your best option since lugging around a 12 gauge all day will get a bit tiring. The cheapest and simplest solution? Get yourself a large can of bear spray. It works as long as you just read the instructions.

Back