Glock owners in denial, BIG TIME!

tuc22

First, let me state that I own a Glock and think that they're super reliable. However, at GlockTalk.com there's a thread where a fellow says he's shot a ton of rounds through his G-22 and only had two small parts break, an extractor and a trigger spring. His concern is what other parts may be prone to breakage so that he can anticipate their failure and be ready with a spare. Anyway, the point is that most of the people posting replies seem to indicate that nothing ever breaks on their Glocks and obviously they must not stock any spare OEM parts. Talk about denial!!! I have never owned anything mechanical that hasn't seen some breakage. Is there something seriously wrong with Glock owners.

I broke a trigger reset spring after approx. 25,000 rounds in a G21, and just recently replaced the striker spring. Is there something wrong with that? By the way, in a 230gr .45acp, a 'ton' of rounds would count about 47,000.

I've got about 4,000 + rounds through my G23, and nothing's broken yet. I still keep spare parts handy though.

I've fired over 50,000 rounds through my G21 and G30, with only one part failure. That was the part of the slide stop lever that engages the mag follower. Gun still functioned, of course, but didn't lock the slide back after the last shot. Got a free part from Glock post-haste, so didn't suffer too much.

What exactly is it that I'm in denial about?? (BTW, lots of those 50,000 rounds were .400 Cor-Bon and .40 Super.)

So, I'm in denial...

...if I don't keep a complete inventory of spare parts for my 3 Glocks on hand? I also keep none for my AK, HK, *&*, Ruger, Rossi or Beretta. Guns tend to be pretty simple and reliable machines. Unless you count serious endshake and timing problems that developed in my Bulldog Pug as "breakage", than I can't recall any gun I've ever owned breaking a part while I owned it. But then again, being a confirmed repeat Glock owner, I may just be in denial. ;)

When I worked at the gunshop, we had a 9mm Glock 17 that had a cataloged 230,000 rounds through it without a SINGLE broken part.

Denial strikes when you're on the line with the shot timer recording your every shot and then...click! No boom. So, you have a extra gun in the bag or in the car, whatever. Your gun is still broke. You will have to go home and get on the phone, or the computer, and do something in order to secure a $2 part from a supplier and then wait 5-7 days. Tell me you don't order parts immediately because you have the luxury of 2-3 more pistols! My money says you are thinking about it until it is fixed, and at the same time you're disappointed in the gun and yourself for not having a stupid little part that would have saved at least some embarrassment. Oh, my kingdom for a $2 spring!!!

On the street, you'd better have a back-up gun named Murphy.

Here's the deal on the Glock. 99% of them come out of the box road ready and they don't rust-------not to mention the fact that they don't have to be slathered in oil or cleaned constantly. Guess what? If you use the Glock constantly for a competition weapon, it may break. As a duty weapon they are reliable and accurate in addtion to being light weight.

Yes, there are more accurate duty weapons to be had but when you factor in the cost, simplicity, dependability and durability, it easy to see why they have a legion of rabid followers. Take the FBI tests for example, what more could be done to prove the merits of the Glock?

For purposes of this debate, it would be great if someone could post a link to the FBI tests. Thank you in advance.

Denial?

I've owned Glock handguns since they've first became available...and I have fired hundreds of thousands of rounds through them. Nothing has ever broken or needed to be replaced.

I'm in denial? WhatEVER...

Glock owners are extremely loyal to their pistols. So much so that if someone suggests a problem or deficiency their posture is one of denial. As I've said before Glock's are not better or worse than the higher quality pistol's on the market. I've owned three. I presently own none. Would I own another? My only interest would be in the G-20 because of the calibre. In the early 90's the CHP (California Highway Patrol) wanted to transition to the 40 cal so they did an extensive test and the lowly S&W mod 4006 won the contract. The Glock 22 didn't cut the mustard. So much for the "I've put a 100,000 rounds through my Glock without a hiccup" statement. My Sig isn't perfect, my Beretta isn't perfect and Glock's aren't perfect..just louder.:)J. Parker

I have noticed a trend now that Glock owners are starting to realize that the 40cal Glocks are subject to KBs. For years at Glocktalk that was like trying to tell the government that there are UFOs!

I have noticed a trend now that Glock owners are starting to realize that the 40cal Glocks are subject to KBs. For years at Glocktalk that was like trying to tell the government that there are UFOs!

What I haven't been able to figure out is whether the KBs are a real problem (i.e., design flaw of the unsupported chamber in a Glock .40 or .45), or just a function of there being so darned many Glocks out in the world.

In my personal experience, I know of several KBs with Glock .40s -- we have one in the factory box at my local range -- but in every case, the cause was faulty ammo. It was either badly overloaded factory ammo [the mfg. paid for replacement guns, or people shooting handloads bought from a reloader at a gun show.

I own a G23 which had run through around 2500 rounds of various factory ammo. And yes Glocks do break. I've had to replace the extractor twice due to breakage. Thats the bad news. The first broken extractor caused erratic extraction and ejection and would only malfunction once or twice in a box of ammo. the second time the extractor broke, the gun continued to function properly.

For some reason it's not unusual for me to have guns that break. Lesee in the past 4 years I've had breakage with the following guns.

Beretta 950BS, replaced by Beretta three times.. Sold and never looked back.

Glock 23 two broken extractors

Kahr K9, Broken slide stop

Kimber Classic Custom, Broken barrel bushing

Browning BDM, broken firing pin

Mark / FL

I must be one of those crazy Glock owners because with a little over one hundred thousand rounds through my 23 I have not replaced so much as a spring (and it has not blown up yet)

I dont think that Glock owners are in denial at all, rather the Glock is a very low maintnence pistol and that is its claim to fame. This should not be any suprise to anyone that knows guns.

Also, I really dont feel the need to keep extra parts on hand just in case. If one breaks on me I have many more pistols to use until the other gets fixed.

If I were big into competition shooting thats a different story, I would always have a couple springs or whatnot in the range bag. Thats for all guns, not just Glocks.

~Jason

I won't say that a glock won't break...that plastic factory front sight comes off too easily. I will point out, however, that the fact that this thread even exists is a testament to glock's durability.

The examples of "denial" given by the originator of this thread read like non-sequiturs to me. I don't see any reasonable definition of "denial" expressed in his "at the range" analogy. This is a dumb thread.

Yeah, but you posted to it anyway, right Walter??

The fact is, very few pistol owners shoot their guns enough to warrant replacement of broken parts. Therefore, the majority of responses should be discounted. While I dearly love my Glocks, I am not oblivious to the fact that it is a mechanical device. All mechanical devices break. For each of my Glocks, I keep a spare extractor, firing pin, firing pin channel sleeve, and a full set of springs.

I broke both my Glock 23 and 22. The 23's frame cracked after ~6000 rounds, the 22's slide fractured after about the same, and KB!ed at about 8000. So Glocks do break.

I am a recent convert to the Dark Side. I have 3 Glocks. (Does this sound like an AA meeting???) I do not shoot IDPA, or anything like that. I put 300-400 rounds through one of them each week, depending on the ammo supply. At this rate, it will be a long time before I will get into the "My Glock lives forever" range. Nothing has broken yet, and even if it does, there is a Glock certified armorer on station to fix it. I am not in any kind of denial. Hey, it might break, so what. I will have it fixed!!! ;)

tuc22;

Just because none of the seven Glocks I've owned has ever broken does not mean I think it's impossible. It's just that:

A) Not being Robby Leatham, my Glocks rarely have gone too far over 30k rounds before getting traded.
B) Not being currently active in competition (getting run over by a car and suffering 6 major fractures will slow you right the hell down :eek: ), I don't have problems losing sleep over nightmares of a malfunction on the line. If my gun should break at the range, I'll just yank one of the 6 or 8 other pistols I have with me out of my range bag and keep plugging away.
C) Not being Jean Dixon, I have no frigging clue what part will let go on any of my firearms, and not being Howard Hughes I can't afford to keep a complete duplicate "donor gun" for each and every weapon I own.
D) Not being immune to Murphy's Law, I carry a spare gun rather than spare parts for my primary. "'Scuse me, Mr. Felon, while I replace the trigger return spring on my Glock." just doesn't seem to work as well as being able to Charlie Mike by producing a second, completely independent launch system.

Just some thoughts from the land of de' Nile. ;)

Back