Glock frame crack

Here's what I've found from dealing with folks who have had to return guns to the manufacturer.

It is fairly common for the manufacturer to have the customer pay to ship the gun to them if there is any question at all as to whether the repair is a warranty issue or not.

If, after receiving the gun, the company determines it's a warranty issue, the customer can request a refund on the shipping and will generally get it.

If it's obviously a warranty issue from the beginning then the company will almost always pay shipping both ways.

If you have ever worked in customer service, you would instantly understand why it's not routine to pay shipping on all returns as a matter of course. For every valid issue, there are many more where there's no problem at all or the problem is obviously the result of abuse of some sort.

The crack is along the molding mark on the frame closest to the tip of the frame, by the rail, serial number and tip of barrel.

The crack is along the molding mark on the frame closest to the tip of the frame, by the rail, serial number and tip of barrel.

Do you own a digital camera or a cell phone with a camera?

Did you send Glock a picture of your so-called "crack" along with your email?

You haven't posted one here that I'm aware of.

I'd be very surprised if they wouldn't pay for shipping if you could show that it was an actual crack.

On the other hand, I am not surprised that they DO NOT pay for shipping just based on you claiming that it is cracked. It's been my experience that the vast majority of people can not tell the difference between a mold mark and a crack.

Most frame cracks start at pin holes or sharp angles.
Have you looked at it from all sides, including the inside?
A light held at at a low angle to the suspected area works well.
Also picking at the area with a dental pick or small knife blade tip can tell if it's something just on the surface or deeper.

What's the bitch! More than likly Glock will at the very least offer you a replacement at a drastically lowered price.......they might even just not charge at all. The thing's mostly a polymer, which like any other material can fail.

Hell's fire, I just got a brand new case cleaner from Dillon when I sent them my 25 year old 2000 when the motor failed.........it did cost me to ship it back, but 40 bucks beats hell out of nearly 200.

By the way I am absolutely no fan of Mr. Glocks products...won't own one, when I was a CLEO I forbade my people to carry one.....yeah I know, they shoot good........they also AD shoot people good too!

By the way I am absolutely no fan of Mr. Glocks products...won't own one, when I was a CLEO I forbade my people to carry one.....yeah I know, they shoot good........they also AD shoot people good too!

Chicago PD's LeRoy Martin used to state that Glocks 'just go off!' when he didn't allow them for CPD, also.

If you're relying on trigger weight to prevent to ND's, you're about three pounds from the end of the world, IMHO.

Larry

militant

What you may be looking at may not be an actual crack, without a picture it is hard to tell, but I am guessing it is the frame support that you are seeing, if this is the case it is not a crack and is fine. I have one that is similar to what you are describing and it is exactly what I described, it`s the frame support.

If you have not sent it back, please snap a pic and post it.

If it means .05 to you I am a Certified Glock Armorer as I`m sure there are many others here as well, hopefully myself or someone can save you some grief.

Last edited:
I have two glock frames here sitting side by side. The one with the crack and the one without. I don't know how much more obvious a crack can be.

I can sit a number of Glocks side by side as well, and still the one that has the frame support showing through the polymer at first glance appears as a crack, I was only trying to help by asking for a picture of it.

Without a picture no one here can be of any help.

attachment.php

Glocks can look cracked there, but getting closer, that is just the flashing left over from the injection molding process.

Pic above same as link below.

Attachments

• Glock 20 muzzle looks cracked but is not 9-10-2014.jpg
    Glock 20 muzzle looks cracked but is not 9-10-2014.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 976
It is cracked. You can't pinch the frame with your fingers and see the frame actually separate. If I wanted, I could stick a piece of paper in between the crack. I sent it in to Glock on my dollar...only 9.00. I'll keep you updated.

"I sent it in to Glock on my dollar...only 9.00."

Uuhhh....not saying you did but, if you mailed a gun I wouldn't post that on an open forum.

Non-FFL cannot mail a firearm via USPS. You can ship it via common carrier-- (UPS, FedEx, etc) and you can only ship it to an FFL or manufacturer.

You can take the Glock frame to a gun store and have the store mail it US Postal, but you cannot do that yourself. If you aren't a licensed FFL, you need to take it to a service other than US Postal.

This sucks because the ffl wants like 30.00 to do the sending. So now it's really starting to add up. But I have to get this fixed.

Back