Glock frame crack

militant

I have a Glock 23 gen 3 that has a crack at the tip of the frame twords the barrel right by the rail. It is cracked along the factory "line" that all glocks have in the polymer. I don't know how it got there. I am thinking of sending it in to glock. Do you think they will charge me?

If they send you a call tag, that means they pay the shipping. They will probably have to replace the frame and send it to a FFL because it will have a new serial #. You will have to pay the transfer fee. If that's the case, ask them to throw in a free mag or two to offset the transfer fee.

If you live near or in Georgia, just whip by the shop ;)

it is amazing what can happen when you are on site...
not to mention who you might run into while there :D

They will probably have to replace the frame and send it to a FFL because it will have a new serial #. You will have to pay the transfer fee.

Depends on where you're located. For example, here in AZ, they can send a brand new gun right to your door if it's from he manufacturer - even if it's a different serial num.

I had this happen with a Walther PPS from S&W back in... 2009, I think. There was a problem with the steel chassis in the frame that couldn't be repaired so they replaced the entire gun with a brand new one... shipped right to my door. No FFL necessary.

I don't know what all states this is possible in... but the manufacturer should know where they can and can not ship the guns directly to the customer.

I recently called Steyr about an issue. The Styer rep sd if I sent the pistol directly to them via a carrier (UPS, FedEx, USPS) Steyr could send the repaired pistol directly to me to my door.

If I shipped via an FFL holder, then the weapon had to be returned to me via an FFL holder.

Do you have a picture of the crack? I'd be interested in seeing where it appeared on the frame.

Thanks.

Last edited:
If you live near or in Georgia, just whip by the shop
it is amazing what can happen when you are on site...

For sure.
I had a compound bow with a cracked limb.
Called the mfgr and they said send it in on my dime, and we'll see if it's a warrantied failure.
Put the bow in the closet and forgot about it, until we went on a trip near the same town as the bow mfgr.
Gave it to them in person with a promise that they'd look into it by the following week.
Since we were vacationing in the area, we were still there the following week.
On the way home, I stopped to see what was up with the bow.
They gave it back to me with two new limbs, new installed string and peep sight, all shined up and looking like new.
No charge.
The personal touch does have advantages.

Update: I called Glock and they told me I needed to fill out their warranty form and send them the gun on my dime just to determine if it is under warranty. They also advised me not to shoot it anymore. I explained to them that it just cracked with no foul play and they said most likely it isn't covered.

Update: I called Glock and they told me I needed to fill out their warranty form and send them the gun on my dime just to determine if it is under warranty. They also advised me not to shoot it anymore. I explained to them that it just cracked with no foul play and they said most likely it isn't covered.

Did they give you a reason why? I don't see why something like a cracked frame would not be covered by warranty. That is as long as you are the first owner. I believe I read somewhere that their warranty does not cover past the first owner.

I own a 34 that the pin that goes through the frame located just above the trigger won’t stay in. Its backed out multiple times and the spring that holds the slide lock down gets loose and it then locks the slide back every time you shoot it.
I E mailed Glock and they e mailed me back quickly. There were several letters back and forth and they sent me a new pin. Well that did nothing and now I am getting a “not a warranty issue since the trigger was replaced” even though it was done by a Glock rep gun smith.
Now it’s good for a mag or two then I have to push the pin back in.
This gun has had less than 300 rounds, I wonder what it will be like in 1000 rounds.
I like Glock, I am a big fan but I am not happy with their customer service.
I feel your pain

for the pin problem, I had the same issue with a sccy. the owner sent new pins, he said all he does is put them in a vice and slightly bend/warp them. they didn't slide out anymore, easy fix

You have no other real option other than send to Glock. I still think they will replace it for free. If not it will be a nominal charge, much less than any other option.

You may have to pay shipping to them, but I'm betting that if they determine that it is their problem you get reimbursed. Having customers pay first ensures that only REAL problems get sent in. I'd bet they would get covered up fast if they just automatically paid for shipping. Some would be returning guns for issues that did not really need to go back. If it cracked from abuse (likely) you might not get your shipping back and I'd expect to pay for a new frame. But wouldn't expect it to be too bad.

I've had new guns shipped to my door after returning defective ones in the past. Guess it depends on where you live.

On this pistol, is the crack straight or does it have a curve to it?

I have seen plastics do this from having a swirl get in the molten plastic, and later on crack in the direction of the swirl. That is a type of defect from casting.

I have a North American .32 ACP Guardian, that had a crack
in the frame ( S.S.).
They send me a prepaid return slip, replaced the frame ( same serial number),
returned ,( with a new magazine), no charge.

Back