Glock 19X broken striker

https://us.glock.com/own/warranty

Glock only gives a limited one year warranty on their guns to the original retail purchaser, so three of my four G’s are out of warranty anyway. I’m still going to keep owning & shooting these guns anyway.

I’ve had my guns serviced enough times to know that dryfiring a striker fired gun without a snap cap can eventually cause the cracked striker guide problem I mentioned earlier with my Walther PPS-M2, which did not disable it before it was discovered and fixed. And it can also cause striker failure that the OP is showing on his 19x.

Wow, I gotta say that is a weird failure. There shouldn't be nearly enough force on the striker in that direction to cause that kind of failure and I can't see any obvious flaws in the steel. Is there any possibility that the part got dropped or hit somehow while it was out of the gun?

I don't see how polishing could cause that kind of a failure although it is pretty obvious that it's been polished way more than it should since you can see the copper strike coat showing through the plating in at least one spot.

Definitely wasn't dropped or anything. As for the copper, that was intentional - based on Johnny Glocks tutorials. This one in particular - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTSTg6dBt5c

I agree that the polishing didn't cause the failure... it APPEARS to me that there's a pretty significant bubble in the MIM. It looks to me like you can see where it fractured around the outside edge there but the inside was always gapped. I'm not a metalurgist or anything though, so I can't really say for sure.

It's a pretty wild break, for sure. I understand the tips breaking sometimes... but for the whole lug to snap off... it was obviously weak from the get-go.

As for the copper, that was intentional - based on Johnny Glocks tutorials.
The plating is much harder, slicker and corrosion resistant than the copper strike coat. Anyone telling you to polish off the plating all the way down to the copper isn't your friend.

Not to the copper, past the copper... to the actual steel. The reason you see the copper up top is because I didn't go that far down up there as there's no engagement that high up. Below it is all bare steel.

To me, it is Glock not owning up to a part in their guns...not really a surprise.

They also down own up to their design increasing AD risk....Remington trigger lawsuits, here we go!...probably not...

Not to the copper, past the copper... to the actual steel. The reason you see the copper up top is because I didn't go that far down up there as there's no engagement that high up. Below it is all bare steel.
That's even worse. The plating is harder, slicker and more corrosion resistant than the underlying steel. That's why it's there.

At least the copper strike coat offers some minimal corrosion protection for the steel--though not as good as the original plating. Once you go through it all the way to the steel, you lose even that.

I've watched some of Johnny Glock's videos and he gets some things right. But if he's advocating that the plating be removed during a trigger job, that's clearly one thing he's getting very wrong. That's disappointingly bad advice.

Just to be clear, let me repeat that the polishing did NOT cause the failure. That's a separate issue.

Definitely not common. I don't know about causing the gun to fire. I wouldn't think it would be able to generate enough inertia to ignite after breaking lose.... but that would be crazy.

The firing pin safety would still prevent the gun from firing since it blocks the firing pin up near the front of the firing pin.

OP, this past Saturday, I had my own 19x gone over by an excellent Glock armorer, including the striker, and if you’re continuing to do excessive dry-firing without a snap cap then you should probably keep a spare striker assembly handy for the possibility that you might break another one again. Or start using snap caps.

I'm not too worried about it. The striker breaking in that place was absolutely not caused by dry firing....it was a flaw in the metal. My normal gen4 19 has probably 20k+ dry fires on it... NEVER with snap caps. My gen4 26 is probably around 7500 dry fires, never seen a snap cap.

With all of that said, I'll be moving all of mine over to actual forged tool steel strikers instead of the OEM MIM ones... once that's done, I will have spare strikers on hand - of course, I will likely never need them.

Parts break...I'm not a Glock fan but I'm not going to bash them..it happens..

I wasn't going to bash them about the breakage, either. There was obviously a flaw in it, but they couldn't have known that. My complaint is that they weaseled their way out of a warranty replacement because it had been polished - where the break is obviously not from the polishing.

Just shoddy customer service is all. Not turning me away from Glocks, because I can always get the parts elsewhere.

The striker breaking in that place was absolutely not caused by dry firing....it was a flaw in the metal.
I agree. Although I can't see the flaw in the pictures, there's not nearly enough stress on the part to cause that kind of damage.

Dry firing a striker fire pistol with snap cap is a pain. There is no external hammer to cock. You will have to work the slide and probably ejecting the snap cap each time.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Dry firing a striker fire pistol with snap cap is a pain. There is no external hammer to cock. You will have to work the slide and probably ejecting the snap cap each time.

Naw, just retract the slide enough to reset the trigger.

tipoc

So I do use snap caps and I do retract the slide slightly. I don't think snap caps would have stopped this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I can attest to Uncle Malice's dry firing numbers.

If you speak to him on the phone or in a video chat when you're trying to work on a pistol you hear *rack* *thunk* *rack* *thunk* LOL

And I agree that the dry firing in no way should ever break the striker in that end of the striker.

However, I still use snap caps for everything. Especially Glock. Slight rack it to engage the trigger.

What's a pain is dry practice with a DA/SA gun and snap caps. Try getting the reset in SA on that one.

Back