Glock 19 VS Ruger SP101 -- which is better in this case..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take it from someone who fired a .357 out of a snub indoors without hearing protection, it's not a good experience. After only a single round I developed tinnitus in my left ear, tinnitus is permanent ringing in the ear and as a result I can never enjoy peace and quiet again. Stick with the Glock 19.

I'd guess that shooting a glock indoors without hearing protection just may cause some hearing problems also.
Always use hearing protection.

I'd guess that shooting a glock indoors without hearing protection just may cause some hearing problems also.

Absolutely, but full power .357 magnums, especially out of a snub, are on a whole other level than a 9mm. As the DB level increases, so does the potential for damage to your ears, and there is a large gap from the 9mm and the .357 magnum. There is the old saying I would rather be deaf than dead, and while I agree with that, if I can choose to minimize the damage I may cause to what hearing I have left, I absolutely will. My bedside gun is a 5" barreled 9mm, which compared to a 2" .357 sounds like powder puffs.

No, it was a question. I don't think anyone fully read my post, which is expected in a long post. I said:
Now please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the points I made below, that's why I'm asking/posting here.
So I wanted to know if all the POINTS I made on the Glock where correct, and if I was missing anything. Same for the Ruger. All I did was do a lot of online research, and found the major negatives for both the weapons. By researching online I found MORE negatives for the Revolver than I did for the Glock, and I pointed them out in the post and I simply wanted to know "is this all correct?"

Also I said the negatives for the Glock where:
Having a Magazine, having FTE, stovepipes, failure to feed, etc. BUT, those are ALL the Glock negatives I could think of occuring in a brand NEW Glock... Like I said before, correct me if I'm wrong?
While the Revolver, even if brand new, it CAN experience a cylinder lock-up and other major issues, because from what I researched it's "very delicate and everything most be 100% for it to work". Again, correct me if I'm WRONG about the Revolver.

BTW, I already said I could practice with either one in my post, I can go to the rental range and rent a Glock 19 and practice with it 5 times a week if I wanted, same goes for the Ruger SP101. I've also fired both, and have no personal perference between the two. I just wanted to know if all my "plus and minuses" points I gathered from various online websites was correct or incorrect.

If they are all correct points, and I didn't miss anything, then I'm going with the Glock because it seems like the semi-auto has many more pluses and less negatives than the Revolver does, but like I said correct me if I'm wrong on any of those points.

Which one do you shoot best with?

Either will do the deed, but pick the one that fits you best (and then keep the other one cause two are better than one.)

Deaf

I think either would make a great night stand gun.

But you need to reevaluate your "taking it out once a year and shooting a few rounds" sort of mentality. If I am keeping that gun to protect my life and my family I want to be damn good at shooting it. I don't get that great at shooting the gun once a year, and I bet you won't either.

Those 5 rounds in the SP101 aren't going to help you much if you can't hit your target.

But you need to reevaluate your "taking it out once a year and shooting a few rounds" sort of mentality. If I am keeping that gun to protect my life and my family I want to be damn good at shooting it. I don't get that great at shooting the gun once a year, and I bet you won't either.

Those 5 rounds in the SP101 aren't going to help you much if you can't hit your target

The most important thing you can learn from your thread!

Either gun is fully capable and competent. The competent part of the operator is what will suffer from your intention to only shoot the gun a few rounds, once a year.

BTW, I already said I could practice with either one in my post, I can go to the rental range and rent a Glock 19 and practice with it 5 times a week if I wanted, same goes for the Ruger SP10
This comment makes even less sense. You mean you would rent a gun identical to what you own to practice with? :confused:
If you are worried about wearing it out, it ain't gonna happen. With either gun. :D

Josh17 said:
I'm going for sheer reliability here. One has gotta have a EDGE over the other!! That's why I made a list of plus and minuses for both, to try and decide which is more reliable. Note: both of these would be NEW, just test fired 50 to 100 times to ensure they function. I want them in new condition so that way they are more reliable, and I won't have to worry about parts wearing out or breaking and causing relability issues. Don't tell me about the need to practice, etc, as I can go to the rental range and do that with a RENTAL. Now please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the points I made below, that's why I'm asking/posting here.

Stop here. Just stop.

The idea that you are going to go to a range and rent a firearm to practice with while keeping your nightstand in supposedly pristene condition is, IMHO, laughable. I don't know about you, but the range I go to, rental is $11 per session. If you practice with your gun on a weekly basis, you're looking at $572. Just to rent a gun identical to the one you own. If you have the kind of disposable income, by all means, go ahead, but I wouldn't.

That said, I also can't imagine having a gun and not shooting it regularly. Yes, all Glock 19's or Ruger SP101s are about the same as others, but the old saying "This is my weapon. Many are like her but this one is mine" really rings true. Get to know YOUR gun, not the range gun that has been beaten and abused. 10 rds a year? Not a chance. Use it. Both of your choices will be 99.9% reliable as long as they are maintained- and sitting NEGLECTED on a nightstand 364 days a year is not maintained. Shoot it, clean it, and love it.

As to which one you get, geez, I don't care. You're talking about two excellent choices in terms of reliability. Personally, I wouldn't get either- I'd go for the bigger brothers (G17 or Ruger GP100) since you're not concealing either. If I had to pick one of the two, I'd go with the Ruger- I have more faith in the cylendar on my Ruger beside my bed than I do the mag springs sitting loaded with 15 rds of 9mm in the Glock.

The NYPD issued revolvers for 100 years, give or take. As I recall, there has never been a documented case of a revolver failing in a gunfight. Officers missed, they ran out of ammo etc. but, for the few rounds they were needed, they went bang.

You are seriously over thinking the whole thing based on Internet research. Go borrow or rent each of them, shoot them and see what you like better. Then, actually SHOOT the gun you choose for a couple of thousand rounds.

Guns are not nice clothes that might get frayed if you wear them too often. As a matter of fact, I'm betting you will not wear out either of those guns in your lifetime.

All the opinions you have found are based on other people's experience with an individual gun. You need to be the individual that forms that opinion for YOUR needs.

I would pick the Glock 19, keep in mind it's important to train with all your defensive handguns. I wouldn't just "shoot ten rounds" every year and expect myself to be proficient enough to handle the gun when my life depends on it.

And I would have picked a GP-100 over both the Glock and an SP-101 FWIW.

YMMV.

Out.

With the mindset of always having a new, 100% reliable, accurate, gun in the nightstand, I have the perfect solution. One that makes as much sense, if not more, than renting an identical gun for practice.
Instead of the Glock, or Ruger, buy two Hi-Point C9 pistols which will cost you a little over half of either of the other choices. Shoot a hundred rounds through one of the Hi-Points to make sure it is reliable. It will be, and with any ammo you chose to try.
Now, put that one in the drawer to be left alone. Shoot the other one 5 days a week. Say 500 rounds a week, for 52 weeks. Then with 25,000+ rounds through that Hi-Point, and it still functioning perfectly, and it will be, throw it off a bridge, run over it with your Prius, or drop it off the roof of your apartment. Might have to do all three, and maybe several times before it doesn't work. Next, send it back to Hi-Point. They will send you a brand new one, and a couple spare mags for your trouble. Now you have another 100% reliable, accurate, pistol for the night stand. You can now run the one that has been resting in the night stand through the practice/return cycle, and in a year send it in for a new one.
Sound ridiculous? Well, not as much as not shooting a Glock, or Ruger in regular practice for fear of wearing it out! :D:D:D

Cheapshooter said:
With the mindset of always having a new, 100% reliable, accurate, gun in the nightstand, I have the perfect solution. One that makes as much sense, if not more, than renting an identical gun for practice.
Instead of the Glock, or Ruger, buy two Hi-Point C9 pistols which will cost you a little over half of either of the other choices. Shoot a hundred rounds through one of the Hi-Points to make sure it is reliable. It will be, and with any ammo you chose to try.
Now, put that one in the drawer to be left alone. Shoot the other one 5 days a week. Say 500 rounds a week, for 52 weeks. Then with 25,000+ rounds through that Hi-Point, and it still functioning perfectly, and it will be, throw it off a bridge, run over it with your Prius, or drop it off the roof of your apartment. Might have to do all three, and maybe several times before it doesn't work. Next, send it back to Hi-Point. They will send you a brand new one, and a couple spare mags for your trouble. Now you have another 100% reliable, accurate, pistol for the night stand. You can now run the one that has been resting in the night stand through the practice/return cycle, and in a year send it in for a new one.
Sound ridiculous? Well, not as much as not shooting a Glock, or Ruger in regular practice for fear of wearing it out!

I love you Cheapshooter. You always have the best advice, even if I do regularly break rule #1...

BTW, I already said I could practice with either one in my post, I can go to the rental range and rent a Glock 19 and practice with it 5 times a week if I wanted, same goes for the Ruger SP101.

:confused:

So, the way you plan on doing things is.. you are going to practice with a different gun then the one you own, while trying to keep the one you do own in like new condition ??

This makes absolutely no sense. so, from your practice you will know the rental gun is reliable, but not the gun that you are depending on to potentially save your life? How does that help you at all?

Yes, this a basic decision of semi-auto versus revolver. I prefer a standard capacity semi auto for HD, usually 15 rounds plus 1. The Glock G19 would be my choice, although if it is just going to be an HD gun, a full size G17 or other full size semi auto would allow a few more rounds, and a longer sight radius.

Nothing wrong with a revolver, but it is limited by capacity. Today, with home invasions conducted by multiple assailants, I like having the additional rounds.

josh17 said:
While the Revolver, even if brand new, it CAN experience a cylinder lock-up and other major issues, because from what I researched it's "very delicate and everything most be 100% for it to work". Again, correct me if I'm WRONG about the Revolver.

You're wrong. You need to do more research.

Total mixup here... my fault

Okay people, sorry, I explained it totally wrong. I UNDERSTAND it's a good idea to practice with the gun you want for self-defense, and I will, with my primary gun. But the new Glock or Ruger I'm trying to decide on will NOT be my PRIMARY gun or my only one. No, this would be the emergency back-up handgun that sits in a safe...Or maybe a drawer. Not sure yet. Maybe I shouldn't have said nightstand gun, I made it sound like this was going to be my primary gun, it's not. Whichever I decide to purchase will only be a back-up safe type of gun, that is the reason why I probably would not fire it very often, rather just every now and then to ensure it works.

BTW, there is no rental range in town. I just said that in hopes people would stop bringing up the "practice issue", but instead it made people bring it up even more lol. But now I understand why people kept telling me I needed to practice with it, it's because I explained it wrong. This would only be a "back-up only" gun that would sit in a safe or whatever. Sorry for the mix-up. This would NOT be my primary handgun, just a pure back-up handgun that's probably just going to be sitting in the safe or in a drawer, for emergency.

Does that make more sense now? Maybe I worded it wrongly when I started to say safe and nightstand in the same sentence, making it sound like this new purchase would be my primary weapon. Sorry for the confusion.

BTW, I kinda already made up my mind, most people say Glock so I think that's probably the better idea.

Edit -- thanks 45 AUTO. I will look into it more. It seemed kind of strange that a "brand new" revolver would experience cylinder locking up issues, but that's supposedly what people claimed happen to them. But who knows if these people had gotten lemons or not, I guess there's always going to be some lemons out there and people with lemons are always going to be the ones posting online, making it appear more common than it truly is.

Does that make more sense now? Maybe I worded it wrongly when I started to say safe and nightstand in the same sentence, making it sound like this new purchase would be my primary weapon. Sorry for the confusion

NO

Probably one of the purest examples of a gun is only a tool to be used for a specific purpose.
With the exception of rare, expensive, or sentimental "safe queens" there is no reason for a modern firearm to just be a space taker in a safe as a spare for your primary gun.
A spare for what reason? You sound like a very young person. Either unaware of the durability, and longevity of most guns. Or someone unnecessarily paranoid about mechanical failure. Do you keep a spare Prius in your garage? With proper care, either the Ruger, or the Glock will out live your car several times over. As well as out live you.

Hold on, now I get it! A spare for each of my carry guns. What a great excuse to buy more guns. I long ago used up "but Ineed that one". Now it can be "I have to have a spare one".
Then a spare for each hunting gun, then extra models of every milsurp.
I think I will need a couple more safes sooner than planned. I have a new excuse to buy more guns! :D

Yes, this a basic decision of semi-auto versus revolver. I prefer a standard capacity semi auto for HD, usually 15 rounds plus 1. The Glock G19 would be my choice, although if it is just going to be an HD gun, a full size G17 or other full size semi auto would allow a few more rounds, and a longer sight radius.

Nothing wrong with a revolver, but it is limited by capacity. Today, with home invasions conducted by multiple assailants, I like having the additional rounds.

I agree with this and my choice for the last 20 years for HD (my bedside gun) is my Gen2 G17. 17+1 or 19+1 depending on the magazine and it has tritium sights. I also have a few thousand rounds through it in practice and competitions with never a hiccup. For me it has proven itself to be 100% reliable so far and I would trust it if my life depended on it. Since it is always there, I keep it in a fast action safe so I don't have to ever worry when guests/family stop by with or without kids. Hopefully, if my home is ever robbed it will also be enough to keep it from being stolen. Certainly it is better than just leaving it in my nightstand drawer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back