Glock 17?

My Gen 1 came with a factory adjustable plastic rear sight. Which I promptly sheared the rear half of it off, when I clipped on a door jamb passing through while it was in my holster.

The front half did still work as a basic notch until the fixed replacement arrived.

That was the only Glock I ever bought that came with that type rear sight.

Model12Win: said:
Does anyone out there shoot a Glock 17?

My Gen3 17 still has the original plastic sights on it. After 9+ years they still work & haven’t broken and I’ll replace them if that changes.

Model12Win: said:
I am thinking of getting a Gen 3 model and switching the plastic iron sights for the metal Glock ones. Usage would be for the range and HD work.

Even though I like my Gen3 17, and have no plans to part with it, I would highly recommend you consider a Gen5 17 (or 19) that already has the AmeriGlo Bold sights installed from the factory. IMHO that would be an ideal range & HD setup

My Gen3 17 still has the original plastic sights on it. After 9+ years they still work & haven’t broken and I’ll replace them if that changes.

Even though I like my Gen3 17, and have no plans to part with it, I would highly recommend you consider a Gen5 17 (or 19) that already has the AmeriGlo Bold sights installed from the factory. IMHO that would be an ideal range & HD setup
Thank you. I'd prefer to have the older, classic Gen 3. I am not a fan of the Gen 5 guns and already have a Gen 4 Glock 19.

Glock OEM steel night sights are a de facto addition to any Glock pistol I buy.

The good news is that they are relatively inexpensive (about $60 for a set), easy to install, and work well.

Glock for the night sights

I will get around to doing night sights on my Gen 3 G19. So far my shopping has indicated that Glock is the best to purchase from, price wise.

Now that I have a sight pusher I won't need to send them my slide. Thanks to the good folks at Defcad.
While the files from these folks are fun the most useful item for me so far is the sight pusher. I printed mine out of PLA, and it seems to be plenty strong. Now that I have a better handle on printing ABS I'll print another one should this one not prove durable.

Now that I have a sight pusher I won't need to send them my slide. Thanks to the good folks at Defcad.

A sight pusher isn't needed to install Glock sights.

A vice, small hammer, and brass punch will work just fine for the rear sight. You will need the proper nut driver to install the front sight (there are cheap options on Amazon and Ebay).

Mrgunsandgear has a good Glock sight installation video on Youtube.

The sight tool makes the job much easier, limits the risk to the vial in night sights, and lets you make fine adjustments when zeroing (you can zero without removing the slide from the gun too). Well worth the money, especially if you have more than one gun.

I have a MGW tool for my Glock's, and had one for my SIG's, and with both, pretty much paid for them with the money I got selling the old night sights I removed on EBay. So they can basically pay for themselves too.

Mine is an older Gen 2 (although 9mm, it was when 40S&W was just coming to market to give you an idea) and it has never failed to fire anything I fed it from factory to reloads. Is it the most accurate Bullseye pistol ever made? Absolutely not. Is it totally reliable and boring in that regard? Absolutely yes.

The sight tool makes the job much easier, limits the risk to the vial in night sights, and lets you make fine adjustments when zeroing (you can zero without removing the slide from the gun too). Well worth the money, especially if you have more than one gun.

Once you break one of the expensive to replace tritium capsules on a typical night sight whilst changing the windage direction with a hammer and brass drifting punch, you'll appreciate the wisdom of AK103K's argument.

I have a Gen2 that I purchased new w/trijicon night sites. It's a great HD gun and I shot a lot of steel matches with it initially so that I would become very confident with it. It's been as close to 100 % reliable as you could get, even with my light hand loads for competition.

It is still my dedicated HD gun.

d7a65b0e25db313eb7d53624cab5cd1e.jpg

Once you break one of the expensive to replace tritium capsules on a typical night sight whilst changing the windage direction with a hammer and brass drifting punch, you'll appreciate the wisdom of AK103K's argument.
In addition to the loss in terms of property, inhaling tritium isn't something you want to do. It's perfectly safe in the vials, and even as long as it stays outside your body since the radioactive particles it emits can't penetrate the skin. But once it is inhaled it is carcinogenic.

Like I said I’d be sticking with Glock steelies. No tritium required, I’ve had my fun with nighters and find them an expensive, fragile, and largely useless gimmick. I’ll take the rugged simplicity and durability of the steel Glock sights thank you, and a weapons light on the gun.

Ive been using night sights on most of my pistols for about 25 years now. In all that time and about 35 some odd sets, I think Ive had one vial fail, and that was on a gun that was used hard.

I havent found them to be fragile, especaily compared to other things. At least those of mine that get used regularly, have all stood up to constant use, and with a couple of guns, heavy use, and they have certainly been more robust than the fiber optic type Ive tried.

Price wise, They really arent all that much more expensive than a good set of steel sights, especially if you shop around. So far, I usually get about half of what a new set go for selling the old sets on EBay. Paid for my sight tools that way, and recouped some of the money spent on new sets.

Gimmick they arent, or at least I havent found them to be. The give you a 24 hour sight, in any light and against any background. They arent just for "night".;)

Mine is a police trade-in. I don't even know what generation it is. It goes bang every time and I shoot it maybe a little above average for a full-sized service pistol. It's just a range toy. It looks like it was holstered and unholstered a whole lot of times, and the sights are still okay, so I'm not going to worry about them.

If you want one, get it. Why wouldn't you? They're good solid pistols.

Like I said I’d be sticking with Glock steelies. No tritium required, I’ve had my fun with nighters and find them an expensive, fragile, and largely useless gimmick. I’ll take the rugged simplicity and durability of the steel Glock sights thank you, and a weapons light on the gun.
I've had idk how many pairs of night sights. None of them were what I'd call fragile, and I'm not exactly easy on my things. The last pair I bought was $80 for the set. That isn't very expensive, especially when I spend as much as I do on ammo. I'm also missing how they aren't "simple".

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Back