"Gimme your wallet... and your piece."

Netzapper said:
What about a fist fight? What if I've been fairly soundly beaten, am lying there trying not to pass out, and realize that my attacker is going for my weapon? Is it legit to shoot simply to prevent him from getting my weapon?

Yes!

If the mugger doesn't know you have a gun, give him your wallet without drawing the gun. He could easily swat you with a bat before you could get a CW out to use it. As the mugger is leaving then draw the weapon. The #1 priority is to survive; not pull a gun. The fact that you carry a gun may not actually mean anything if he has the jump on you. If the mugger knows you have a gun then you have no choice but to attempt to draw before he kills you with a single swipe of the bat. Play every situation differently. Most likely the mugger will knock your lights out before you even know he's there. You may not have two options to choose from.

I get the impression that some of you are afraid you will miss out on a chance to use the gun you carry. Don't lose your life going for your CW if you can get out of the situation another way. Just because you carry a gun doesn't mean the gun is the first and only option. Your brain is the 1st weapon you should use.

Zen900: I agree with you. Antis I know regularly ask me why I would shoot somebody just because they wanted my wallet. Every time, I explain to them that I'd probably just give the mugger whatever he wanted. However, my question was specifically about somebody going for my gun. The question is really about the transfer of means as I outlined in my last post. I.E., is it legit to use my weapon prior to a person acquiring the means if it's obvious that he's about to? *shrug* It was really just my mid-afternoon musing.

Zen900 said:
If the mugger doesn't know you have a gun, give him your wallet without drawing the gun. He could easily swat you with a bat before you could get a CW out to use it. As the mugger is leaving then draw the weapon. The #1 priority is to survive; not pull a gun. The fact that you carry a gun may not actually mean anything if he has the jump on you. If the mugger knows you have a gun then you have no choice but to attempt to draw before he kills you with a single swipe of the bat. Play every situation differently. Most likely the mugger will knock your lights out before you even know he's there. You may not have two options to choose from.

I get the impression that some of you are afraid you will miss out on a chance to use the gun you carry. Don't lose your life going for your CW if you can get out of the situation another way. Just because you carry a gun doesn't mean the gun is the first and only option. Your brain is the 1st weapon you should use.

Now that is a QUALITY first post!! :D

Like I told my mother when she got her CWP (a 60 something grandma) recently, the first thing a BG is going to get is your purse. It's almost better to not carry at all, than to have a gun off your person. If a BG pulls a knife, I would pull "My Buddy" (gun). If it's just a "gimme your wallet"-type thing, then I'd give up my wallet (a few bucks and other people's business cards) and be done with the encounter. As for the "and your piece" thing, if I'm gonna pull it out to hand it over, I may as well pull it out with my finger on the trigger and make him rethink his intentions.
As was said before, being aware, alert, and confident goes a long way in avoiding such situations in the first place. Always walk and act like you are supposed to be there, been there hundreds of times before and belong there. BG's are predatory animals, look less appetizing than the guy near you. (I don't have to outrun the bear, just you). I will protect "My Buddy" like I will protect myself. Take my money and business cards, if you want more than that, we have a problem, and I've got a "problem solver".

zen900 said:
If the mugger doesn't know you have a gun, give him your wallet without drawing the gun. He could easily swat you with a bat before you could get a CW out to use it. As the mugger is leaving then draw the weapon. The #1 priority is to survive; not pull a gun.

"As the mugger is leaving then draw the weapon."

While this makes sense to me, it raises questions. Why would you be drawing a weapon after the mugging, when the mugger is leaving? My explanation to the cops would be, "I could not draw the weapon to defend myself against the crime as it was happening because that would have endangered me even more that I was already. But after the crime, I had a concern for my safety that the mugger may decide to turn back to me and finish me off with a weapon he had not yet indicated he had, because of his desire to eliminate the witness to his crime. So I was doing the prudent thing by making sure that at least then I would be able to protect myself."

Of course, then there is another question. If the mugger came to you and just threatened violence (to "beat you up," or what have you) and you did not see a weapon because he actually is unarmed, and you draw the weapon as he leaves; what if he sees you with the gun now drawn and, figuring you are not the type willing to actually use it, he turns into a smartass and decides to come back at you to take the gun from you. The situation is now YOU have a drawn gun and HE is UNARMED. Can/should you shoot him then, given that; you drew the gun in response to having just been mugged by him; he has proven himself a criminal to you; he has indicated that he now wants to take your gun and you can fairly assume he will do bad things with it; and you understand that it is risky in the extreme to attempt to prevent him from getting the gun from you without actually using the gun in that preventive effort.

Lots of uncertainty here...

-blackmind

Netzapper I hadn't thought before about somebody trying to take my gun from me. That truly is a serious situation. I have to assume in that situation that I am only seconds from death.
So.............................................................. if he demands I give him my gun I simply would tell him that it isn't my gun. At that point he will pardon himself and quietly walk off. The old "it's not my gun trick" gets'em everytime.

What about a fist fight? What if I've been fairly soundly beaten, am lying there trying not to pass out, and realize that my attacker is going for my weapon? Is it legit to shoot simply to prevent him from getting my weapon?

Darn skippy it's legit. Look, if the situation started as a mugging, then progressed to beating, well - shame on me for not shooting in the first place. As soon as I'm hit, game on.

And I'm not buying this "just give up your wallet" tripe. I carry to protect myself and my property. If somebody came at me with a weapon - any weapon - beat me up for my wallet and then went for my gun, deadly force would be the next order of business. Too many thugs will shoot you - most certainly with your own gun - for less reason than just your wallet. Believing they'll just take your wallet & leave you alone could get you killed.

the gun is to keep bodily harm from happening

....right? So why in the world would I hesitate to use it if threatened? Someone with a knife who wants my purse will be staring my Bersa in the eye and hearing "I don't think so". I am a 51 year old woman with arthritis, and I am not able to fist fight or whatever. I carry the gun for protection, and that's what I'd use it for.

Springmom

Let us suppose that one is mugged by a person armed with a knife, a bat, or some other non-firearm, but decidedly unpleasant, weapon. Let us also suppose that in the process of doing so, they discover your gun and demand that you fork it over.

I think a lot of people are missing the point here--and the obvious.

The BG having a knife, club, pipe or anything that can cause serious bodily harm = armed with a deadly weapon.

Proper response?

First, DON'T LET THEM GET THAT CLOSE!!!

Be in condition yellow at all times. Watch anyone who seems to be intent on getting close to you. If they get too close for comfort--about 10 yards, your hand should be ON your firearm already. Warn them to keep their distance.

If they keep coming, draw your firearm. At this distance, guess what? THERE IS NO TIME FOR LOW READY!!!

Align your front sights COM, warn again.

Remember that it has been proven, time and time again (Tueller drill) that an armed threat within 21 feet is a LETHAL threat. Act accordingly, or you'll find yourself clubbed, maimed, stabbed or a combination of all three.

With regard to fist fights, here's another bit of info:

CCW HOLDERS HAVE NO REASON WHATSOEVER TO BECOME INVOLVED IN FISTFIGHTS.

Do what you can to de-escalate. Walk away if you have to. But DON'T get into a fistfight if you're carrying!!!

blackmind said:
One factor in the decision to carry in a bag is that I consciously substitute awareness of my surroundings (and occasional opening of the bag's zipper) for quickness of drawing, if the need to do so should arise.
As one always should. That's what I was getting at when I said that a good awareness of one's surroundings would mostly preclude the original poster's scenario from ever happening.

"Never" means never!!!

Let us suppose that one is mugged by a person armed with a knife, a bat, or some other non-firearm, but decidedly unpleasant, weapon.

Any of the weapons in question are deadly weapons. When you are threatened with a deadly weapon, the only proper response is to draw your gun and aim center of mass on your attacker. Give the command, "Drop your weapon, NOW!!!" If your attacker is within 7 yards of you and makes any move toward you, shoot him center of mass.

It should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway: NEVER GIVE UP YOUR FIREARM TO AN ATTACKER - NEVER!!!

In her shoes

I've never been in that situation, thank Goodness, but when I think about it I ask myself what would Springmom or pax do. They seem to have thought these things out very thoroughly and realistically, I'm not a physical match for a mugger.

Re gimmie your gun

Hi
Many have said that alertness is priority one; agreed. If caught off guard however, then you need to put distance between you and threat if possible. Accept that you may get cut but you NEVER WILLINGLY GIVE UP YOUR GUN! YOU NEVER LET ANYONE TIE YOU UP EITHER! I know that was not in the post but it is something I vowed never to let happen. The BUG seems a natural in this scenario. I remember reading somewhere many years back that an off duty NYC police officer was caught off guard while with his girlfriend in a park. A mugger pulled a gun and proceeded to search the cop and found his gun and shield. As the mugger walked away reveling in the fact that he took off a cop and stole his cash, gun and badge he was shot in the head by the cop who had a NAA mini .22 mag as a BUG-hideout. :cool:

Last edited:
pockets.sized.jpg

There's an issue I don't think anyone has addressed yet. It is unsafe to hand a loaded gun to someone. Always be sure the gun is unloaded before handing it over.

There are two basic methods of unloading a gun. From the magazine and from the barrel. I'd choose the barrel method if someone within 7 yards was threatening my life with a deadly weapon.

Seriously, it doesn't make sense to give a gun to someone who is threatening your life.

Let us suppose that one is mugged by a person armed with a knife, a bat, or some other non-firearm, but decidedly unpleasant, weapon.

Unfortunately, this scenario construction is severely flawed as are most scenario constructions and because most fail to recognize the flaw, the suggested responses to the situation may not be valid.

The flaw is that the good guy is assumed to have omnipotent situational awareness that won't be present in real life. Here, the given parameters say that there is just one bad guy who is armed with a non-firearm. The responses are to address these parameters. The problem is that you have no way of knowing if there is actually a singular attacker or two or more. You don't know that the attacker is only armed with a non-firearm. You have to consider the fact that the attacker may rather prefer to use the non-firearm because it can garner the same results in a stealthy quiet manner. The attacker may prefer not to draw attention to the situation by having to fire his own gun. So the guy is his backup in case the more stealthy weapons don't work out.

As I understand reported police data, more often than not, the attacker is not actually alone. He may simply be the attention draw for his fellows to come up behind you or flank you without you realizing it before it is too late. The attacker may have one or more fellows who are his lookout men. You simply can't know (usually) that there was one and only one participant against you.

Use your hand-to-hand fighting skills to try and get distance.
Unless you are already so close to your attacker that hand-to-hand skills could be used, so that would be a distance of arm's length or so, moving in to use your hand-to-hand skills probably isn't smart. Why would you first close ranks, thereby increasing the risk to yourself of being clobbered, stabbed, or whatever by the attacker, to then gain distance. If you aren't already that close, then you already have the jump on the bad gun for you to bolt from the situation successfully.

Okay, so the general consensus, as I can tell, is this: since you've already been threatened with deadly force, you are justified in shooting. However, that may not work out practically, and so you should probably resort to some other method of pain distribution.

Why should you resort to some other method of pain distribution? As noted above, why do you want to close ranks on the guy if your goal is to get away from him? FYI, if you do close ranks, you run that much more risk of losing your gun to the attacker during your struggle.

Back