GF calls at 4am "drunk guy at front door"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds to me that you have analyzed your situation and have a plan to correct the deficiencies. There is one thing you could put on the back burner though and that is the night sights. Not that they are a bad idea but with a flashlight you may not need the night sights. There are many flashlights out there that are very good for your purpose. There is the Surefire brand of flashlight that is a top performer. I carry a HellFighter X-8 in a plastic short ASP holder. It just snaps into the ASP holder like it was made for it. The ASP holder also protects the on/off button so the flashlight isn't turned on by mistake. The HellFighter puts out 150 lumen. The scalloped bezel in the front can also act as a defensive weapon if you need to go hand to hand. I carry my ASP in the nylon holder I got for the HellFighter. You may also wish to get some police strength OC spray since not all situations are going to require a firearm. It is better to have options available.

+1

Night sights offer the most advantage in low light, where a flashlight isn't necessary for near identification, but iron sights may not stand out well. In darker conditions, the reflected light of a good flashlight often seems to wash out night sights - but that typically means it puts the sights themselves in fairly sharp silhouette.

If I had to choose between the two, due to limited budget, the flashlight would win hands down.

1. Teach your GF how to shoot (and get her a gun if you can.)

2. Get a good flashlight.

3. Have 911 on your speed dial (and GF's to) and call 911 before going over there.

Don't worry about night sights. You have to identify your target first. THEN the night sights might (and that's a maybe) be of some help.

Deaf

Since, essentially, you were rolling to what you believe to be a serious crime in progress, I have to agree with those who advocate calling the professionals who are empowered and trained to handle such matters. They would have beat you there and you would have rolled up in time to see your roomate in handcuffs.:cool:

If someone is banging on my door and exhibiting bad behavior the first thing is have the wife call 911. Secure my shotgun and only use it if the door gets broken down. I am not going outside to go stumbling around in the dark. If he is banging on the door and stays outside the police can handle him.

You live in Alaska, where it's dark 18+ hours a day for 1/4 the year and you have no night-sights? Are you hoping the aurora borealis is going to illuminate your target?

Night sights, flashlight, a weapons familiarization class for the gf....

Having the GF learn to recognize the roomie's voice might be a good idea.

Having come right close to putting several loads of shot through my front door when my own drunken brother showed up unannounced at 4 AM and started pounding and kicking said door ..... I was not in any shape or mood for voice recognition.... to go from deep sleep to "Fight or Flight" with no serious "Flight" option in the space of 15-30 seconds..... that's a recipe for unpleasantness.

You live in Alaska, where it's dark 18+ hours a day for 1/4 the year and you have no night-sights? Are you hoping the aurora borealis is going to illuminate your target?

Night sights do not 'illuminate' anything of the target. That is what the flash light is for.

Night sights only help align the sights in darkness. But if that 'shadow' turns out to be your kids, well you will see why you need that light.

Deaf

and... if you have roommates, you need to understand that they may or may not share your love of guns. Roommates may get drunk and come home at 4am, that's one reason why I lock all my guns up. GF needs to needs to figure out the difference between a possible home invasion and roomie comming home drunk.

GF needs to needs to figure out the difference between a possible home invasion and roomie comming home drunk.

Perhaps I am too far removed from the Animal House lifestyle, but I disagree with putting the onus on other people to determine if the threat with which they are presented is because of drunkenness. (Do you think anyone ever pretended to be drunk in order to get away with something?) If a person drinks to the point of not being in control of themselves, they need to understand that that degree of drunkenness is itself a choice which may have adverse consequences. A threat is still a threat whether it comes from a drunk or a sober person.

This is yet another reason why I like dogs.

Once you know a particular dog, you get a pretty good idea of the differences in the sounds it will make, for instance, "Oh boy!!! Somebody is here!!!" vs, "Somebody is here whom I do not trust!!! Alert!!! Danger!!!"

My dogs will let me know if a friend shows up. They will also let me know if a stranger shows up. The sounds are not the same.

The added benefit is that medium large, snarling dogs often discourage people from trying to enter the wrong house.

On another note, having a safe place (concealment, cover) from which one can observe entry points can help afford enough time to identify friend from foe. The more secure the house, the more luxury of time afforded. But I would still call 911, until absolutely sure it is not foe.

Deaf Smith

Posts: 2,491 1. Teach your GF how to shoot (and get her a gun if you can.)

Yes the only problem with that is we could now be talking about a dead flat mate. And how to get his girl friend out of jail.

Pooch Patrol

This is yet another reason why I like dogs.

Once you know a particular dog, you get a pretty good idea of the differences in the sounds it will make, for instance, "Oh boy!!! Somebody is here!!!" vs, "Somebody is here whom I do not trust!!! Alert!!! Danger!!!"

My dogs will let me know if a friend shows up. They will also let me know if a stranger shows up. The sounds are not the same.

The added benefit is that medium large, snarling dogs often discourage people from trying to enter the wrong house.

On another note, having a safe place (concealment, cover) from which one can observe entry points can help afford enough time to identify friend from foe. The more secure the house, the more luxury of time afforded. But I would still call 911, until absolutely sure it is not foe.

My dog is excellent with this. she always alerts me someone or something is coming. There is a small list of people who tend to elicit a happy golden retriever response. The rest get a growl, woof, snarl, and finally hide behind Dad approach.

The very nice thing about this is that I get the happy golden response which lets Mrs. Vermonter know instantly that it is me coming home.

Regards, Vermonter

Quote. Skadoosh. That's assuming a lot. Do you think so.

A woman shot and killed her husband in their home after mistaking him for an intruder, according to police.
The 53-year-old is believed to have shot her 57-year-old spouse shortly after 11am at their home in the Lower 9th Ward of New Orleans.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A retired New York police captain mistook his 37-year-old son for an intruder, shooting and killing him with his service weapon as he tried to enter a motel room in the Adirondacks in the early morning.

Quote.TailGator. but I disagree with putting the onus on other people to determine if the threat with which they are presented is because of drunkenness.

I think you will find. Hopefully not the hard way that the onus is on you to determine if someone is just drunk or a threat.

Last edited:
Again, although the girlfriend should get training on how to defend herself in case of a home invasion by a real perp, in this scenario, IMO, the guilty party (for lack of better words) is the room mate.

For starters, maybe some(or better) "living arrangement" ground rules need to be established in order to prevent this scenario from happening in the future.

TailGator said:
...I disagree with putting the onus on other people to determine if the threat with which they are presented is because of drunkenness...
manta49 said:
...Hopefully not the hard way that the onus is on you to determine if someone is just drunk or a threat...
In any case, understand that if you intentionally deploy lethal force against another human, the onus will be on you to show that a reasonable and prudent person in like circumstances would have concluded that extreme violence against that person was necessary to stop an otherwise unavoidable serious and immediate threat. And others will be deciding, after the fact, at their leisure and in safety, whether or not you have successfully done so.

Dollar for dollar, pound for pound, Fido makes a mighty fine sensor package.
Bastion airbase could have used a few four footed friends on perimeter detail.
They sure helped out in RVN.

In any case, understand that if you intentionally deploy lethal force against another human, the onus will be on you to show that a reasonable and prudent person in like circumstances would have concluded that extreme violence against that person was necessary to stop an otherwise unavoidable serious and immediate threat.

I agree with you entirely, Frank. I responded to another person saying something to the effect that it is up to the GF, when someone is beating her door down, to determine if the person is drunk. In my locale, there was a case a few months ago in which a drunk was beating on someone's door in the wee hours of the morning, and the homeowner opened the door to him with a pistol in his hand. When the drunk lunged at him, he shot the drunk dead, and was not charged. We can certainly debate, with valid points, the wisdom of opening the door in that situation, but the drunken state of the bad actor was not an excuse for what he did in the eyes of the local LEO/prosecutors/courts.

Certainly you need to be able to elucidate the threat that you felt, and it needs to be found to be a reasonable threat. Suspecting or even knowing that someone is drunk does not rule them out as a threat - that is all I am saying.

I think you will find . . . that the onus is on you to determine if someone is just drunk or a threat.

I pray every day that I don't have to defend myself with lethal force, but I don't think that "drunk" and "threat" are mutually exclusive, and legal authorities in my locale seem to agree. You definitely should know the laws in your location, and consider them in your defensive decisions, but I would also advise you not to assume that someone who appears drunk really is, or that he or she poses no threat to you because of their drunkenness.

In this situation, calling the police may have been a good idea. However, in some situations it's not always the best idea. In fact, it can be a terrible idea. Be aware of unintended consequences of getting the police involved.

For just one example, consider the case of a domestic dispute between you and your spouse or ex. Perhaps your ex shows up and demands something from you, and refuses to leave. Calling the police can certainly get one of you arrested. In many cases, the person making the call will be the one arrested! In many police departments, the police will have to file a report explaining exactly WHY they did not make an arrest. Often they feel they HAVE to arrest someone. It may even be a rule, written or not.

Get a domestic violence conviction and kiss your guns goodbye.

If you doubt this, do a little research, or talk to some cops. Here are two links:
http://ancpr.com/2007/08/11/mandato...lence-doesnt-work-even-harvard-says-so-81007/
http://www.policefoundation.org/docs/domesticresponse.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back