Getting Old Ain't for Sissies (Humbling Range Time Today)

I had a membership at one of those dimmly lit indoor ranges. Shot there a couple of times and simply didn't enjoy it at all. Dropped the membership.

I suggest you try to find an outdoor range and start going at least every couple of weeks. You should be able to improve the seven o'clock shooting with some practice and build up your confidence. Nothing will change about physical ailments, pains, and eyes.... (but who knows? with exercise, you often feel better.) so you're going to have to get used to it.

I grow older and shoot less too. The ammo shortage killed my shooting enthusiasm and I haven't moved back. Had ammo, just didn't want to use it up punching holes in targets. With 22LR, I have lots of ammo, but the shortage continues to effect my thinking on re-supply. But frankly, I really don't need to re-supply the promotional grade stuff as I have at least a 10 year supply, at least

This is part of the reason I am thinking about selling some of my "good stuff". Some of the guns I own, I haven't even looked at in 10 years and wouldn't know if someone stole them for the most part.

In another thread, I mentioned a High Standard Victor. Loved that pistol, but I haven't shot it in 25 years, maybe 30. I replaced it with a Ruger Mark II for general plinking and of course I have a large assortment of 22 revolvers if I want to shoot them.

Last edited:
I grow older and shoot less too. The ammo shortage killed my shooting enthusiasm and I haven't moved back. Had ammo, just didn't want to use it up punching holes in targets. With 22LR, I have lots of ammo, but the shortage continues to effect my thinking on re-supply.

This is part of the reason I am thinking about selling some of my "good stuff". Some of the guns I own, I haven't even looked at in 10 years and wouldn't know if someone stole them for the most part.

Same here.

OP i can't say that I've ever taken 4 different handguns on one range trip. If you can't see that front sight clearly when you are shooting, you are just not going to be able to shoot well.

Some advice I'd offer would be to take your prescription glasses with you on the next range visit. I'd rent a S&W 686 revolver preferably with a 6" bbl. And I'd buy a couple boxes of factory .38 spl ammo at the range since the range operator won't let you bring in ammo to shoot through their rental gun. Thumb-cock your shots so every trigger pull is SA. This will let you get your shooting chops back & have some fun in the process which is really what it's all about in the first place,

Last edited:
* * * one thing I've discovered is that most of our food supply is, well, more or less poisonous to a natural living system. The trick is to balance your intake to be more alkali than acidic, and stay away from things that promote inflammation and/or acidification.

Agree.

Anything with gluten and sugar are primary targets to eliminate.

Agree. Especially white rice. Toxic, high-sugary sh*t. Brown grained rice is better and the preferred alternative for the thinking diet-dude.

I still eat meat and fish (a primary reason I shoot a lot is because I hunt, can't beat natural game meat, though have to take it easy with red meats).

Dudenal, skip the red meat part - processed or fresh kill. Fish is great, as are turkey and chicken.

Equally important is promoting oxygen delivery to your cells--so some form of exercise to increase breathing rate and efficiency of the cardio system is essential.

Right, ... it's called cardio (aerobic) exercise, or "road work" if you're a old-school dude. I just ran 5.5 miles today to keep off the "creepin blubber." Probably not so good for the guys at the range with donut-addictions. Just sayin' ... :rolleyes:

Also, do some hand-squeeze exercises with those V-grip devises to increase your grip strength. It'll help deter the on-set of the dreaded SWMH Syndrome * in the most awesome of ways ... :cool:

* SWMH= Sensitive Wuddle Man Hands.

Last edited:
Well, I made it back to the range today for the first time since the original post. I went to function test the ATI 1911 that had to go back to ATI and to also function test a P938 that I have never shot and want to carry. The ATI seems to work okay now, but...meh...I think it's time to move on and let someone else enjoy it.

The P938 was a different story, however. Wow! What a shooter. This little thing has no right to be as accurate as it is, especially in the hands of someone like me that doesn't get to shoot that much. I started at twenty-one feet to get acclimated with it and was surprised at how much I liked the sights and at how quick it was to get back on target. I then moved the target to thirty feet and was even more accurate with it. The majority of the hits were in the 10 ring or better. The strange thing was I was better with the 6 round magazine than with the 7 round magazine. I think it's a keeper and is on its way to replacing my Glock 26 and my 642 for carry.

The only small little problem I had was my fault. The magazines get a little stiff when loading the last round and I didn't get the last round seated correctly in one magazine. It was nosed down and didn't feed, so, I dropped the magazine and reloaded that round and everything was good after that.

All in all, it was a much better day than the last session.

Joe,

No experience with ATI, but I have a Kahr 380 that took 600 rounds to,get running correctly. Now it is a joy!

So maybe just a few more rounds will bet it sorted.

But, if not, and you are looking for a mid-range 1911, I have been pleased with my Ruger. It has yet to choke on anything.

Well, I sold the ATI. I have three Colts, so, I'm not hurting in the 1911 department. The Rugers do seem like nice guns, though.

getting old isn't fun. Just getting back into shooting after a numbers of years away. Have been shooting off and on during those years away now want to do more. Went to the range the other day took my S&W mod 28 in ,357. Wow near took my hand off after 18 rounds had to put it away for something a little lighter my 9mm. But I will get back to my 357 ....slowly .

Well, I'm only 71, but had to switch to .44 Specials after only 12 rounds of factory magnums through my new Super Blackhawk a couple of months ago:

33715145d214bd04b6f06b110824182b7d94f12.jpg

Back