Getting Old Ain't for Sissies (Humbling Range Time Today)

Strength is a factor in stabilizing your hold, smoothing your trigger pull, absorbing recoil, and minimizing fatigue. It seems you've just joined the club in realizing that strength declines with age. The good news is that there is something you can do about it and it will probably--hopefully--be easy. Get some cheap barbells and put in 10-15 minutes every other day. Make it part of your routine, maybe before your regular shower. Stretch out a little before and after. Start with lighter weights and don't try to be a hero. Keep your muscles tight and let isometrics do most of the work. You'll be surprised at how much that accomplishes over the course of a few months.

You can also get a gadget for hand or finger squeezing and that can be done while at work or watching TV. Of course, you may want to consult a fitness expert for proper technique and/or check with your doctor before starting an exercise program.

Very True !
I think some wise man once said "getting old sucks , but I guess it's better than the other alternative !"

I agree with Cozmodragon. I started to post something similar 4 times but didn't.
Thanks for your reply.
I work out with 5 lb bar bells 3 4 times/week for 5-8 min each time. It has defineately helped to keep up my arm strength especially with my 40 Ruger.
Doc

Like Doc sez, apparently, the results can be similar whether one exercises with heavy weights and less repetitions, or less weights with more repetitions.
So, there's no excuse not to get in better shape without unduly stressing oneself.

I shot my first Bullseye match in 10 years yesterday. Quit because of a bad motorcycle accident. I stunk up the place. Sad really. But, I'll probably keep trying. I don't expect to get back it the level of 10 years ago, but maybe close?

I don't have a problem with shooting, but old age has slowed me down in USPSA and 3 Gun matches.

At 68 I can't keep up with young kids in their 20s running between different targets.

But, I'm completive in my class, USPSA has a "Super Senior" class just for me.

As to recoil it doesn't bother me that much, but I teach a women's SD class with girls from 18-85. Some of these older ladies cant handle 38s or 9s. Several cant handle the triggers on J-frames.

But I haven't ran into one yet (My oldest this year is 82) that can't handle a striker fired 380.

Joe, the good news is since the ATI is a 1911 variant, they are dirt simple to work on. It doesn't take a lot to have a smooth running, excellent pistol. Hopefully , you don't have to take it to a 'smith to smooth things up and get it running properly. A little time and judicious stoning will most likely have you loving it. Stay away from the sear and hammer if you have no experience. Just ain't that much to them!:)

welcome back to the active shooting

in the end Joe

after such a long lay off, you will shoot a bit wild

I have to work on and try to remember--"slow steady straight back trigger push" ALL THE TIME and I shoot a lot

training your brain to work with your hands is a slow process

shooting is simple but not easy--remember?

I got back into shooting in 2011 after a 25 year layoff. (I am now 62). Yes, it was a humbling experience having to essentially learn to shoot almost all over again. But it comes with practice and now I shoot better than I ever did, even with my older, inferior body. You can do it, OP. :cool:

Yep.. age has crept up on me too...eyes mostly, but grip strength too...especially noticeable with my 1911's. I'm 70 now, and my kids got me back into guitar playing when I retired...it surprised me now much it helped with grip strength...and especially with single motion from the trigger finger alone. I was getting a touch of arthritis at retirement, but playing, especially finger picking has eliminated that bugaboo.

I shoot most every day, here on the farm...sometimes just a cylinder or magazine full, sometimes more and it helps a lot. Grip consistency, trigger control, concentration on the front sight alone, smoothness of presentation from the leather...it's all there to be mastered...most of it is easily done with dry fire, but rapid recovery from recoil is not.

Hang in there, and it'll come back...dry fire often, and get some more fun (range) time in...Best Regards, Rod

Although I am young and in excellent physical condition, I still found myself VERY rusty in my most recent range trip after 1 yr+ away from shooting handguns. Shooting is NOT like riding a bicycle, you actually need to stay in practice. :o

I'm older than even you and can relate to diminished eyes and hand strength. I learned to shoot pistols when it was unheard of to use 2 hands. Ever seen John Wayne, Roy Rodgers, etc use 2 hands? Of course 2 hands is the most stable way to go but I do better with one because holding with one hand puts the gun and sights further away which makes them sharper focusing than the up close 2 hand stance. That's just me.

Joe
The wife and I are in the same boat at 75 years old we have a hard time seeing the sights and the recoil is starting to get to us. We are using padded gloves when shooting anything over 380 acp. If you can't see the sights get yourself a S&W CORE put a red dot on it, that's what I did. The wife shoots 25 rounds of 38spl's out of her revolver and she is done. She can handle her Sig P238 for around 50 rounds. I am not giving up just picked up an STI 45 acp and will shoot it this week. Don't give up. When they put me in the box I am taking my Sig X5 with me :) .

I think I'll start shooting some .22 LR handguns here directly. Just as much fun for me, cheaper and it will help me get some trigger control back and help with some grip strength.

My carry gun is a 642 and it beat my hand like a rented mule. I remember it having some stout recoil, but this time it hurt a little. Most of the shots were low and left.

I'm sorry to read that. :( That's one hell of a gun.

I had the 642 and the 637. Both were great. Or so I thought... A few later, I got myself an old Model 60. Joe, nothing beats how lightly recoiling that gun is. I couldn't believe how fast I was able to put 5 rounds in a fist sized hole.

Recoils so lightly that it was shocking to me. I carry it as my back-up gun and couldn't be happier. I also have a speed loader to go along with it.

The 26 is a great gun, I carry the 19 these days.

The LCP, well.. That's where we also differ. I can't stand the recoil on the LCP. I feel like it wants to jump out of my hands every time I shoot it. I have very big (long) hands. Maybe that correlates?

As for the 1911.. I'm getting back into the 1911 realm myself. With a TRP. I've always had great luck with the Wilson Combat 47D magazines. Was that the Wilson magazine you used? Curious, because that all I'll ever run / carry in my 1911's today and what I used in the past. Gotta restock on them..

Anyways, see about selling / trading into a Smith and Wesson Model 60! :D

Was that the Wilson magazine you used?

I believe it was the 47D. The gun is back at ATI at the moment. So far I am very impressed with their customer service. I just want the gun to run ball ammo as all it will be is a range toy.

The 26 is a great gun

I will probably carry the 26 some, but I am now more interested in carrying the P938 that I have as soon as I function test it and see if it's reliable.

The LCP, well.. That's where we also differ.

I think for me it has everything to do with expectations. I was nearly expecting to have the silly thing fly out of my hand after all I had read on the internet about it.

There's not much wrong with shooting .22s to get you back in sync. It will also improve your grip strength and trigger control. I would shoot wadcutters in the 642, rather than +Ps for me, if I had hand pain.
But, other posters were correct - exercise gets more important as we age. I have seen elderly patients who have dislocated shoulders recover normal function with the appropriate therapy, so that need not be a permanent problem.

Nothing you can do about getting older--it happens! : ) I too have encountered major problems with my eyesight in just the past few years. My solution has been to shoot with rifle scopes as much as possible--they can compensate for much of the difficulties I have.

PS--try the 17hmr--very mild little round but with great velocity zip and phenomenal accuracy.

I'm going to be 60 in a few months (Yikes!) and I have several problems that have come up that affect my shooting. I have two bad shoulders. One I hurt a long time ago, and it's my "good one" now. The other one I hurt in 2007 in a bad fall. I never had surgery, and contrary to my doctor's predictions, I have basically full motion in it, but it does hurt a lot if I use it over my head. My hands hurt all the time, well 99%, and shooting any higher recoiling guns is not a pleasant thing. Too much working on cars and fights when I was a bouncer. For whatever reason, .40S&W is downright bad, even in a fullsized all steel gun, so I don't shoot or own any .40 guns anymore. 9mm in anything, and .45 in a bigger gun is fine. These issues I can ignore for the most part, but my back is bad enough that it severely affects my shooting. I can't stand still for any length of time without leaning on something. I can sit all day, lie down all night, without any aches, but walking is terrible, and standing is torture. Alleve and other painkillers help, a little, but a few years back, my kidney numbers went totally out of whack, and apparently taking Alleve 2X a day for about 20 years was the cause. I stopped taking all painkillers and over about the next two years, my kidneys have returned to almost normal. It's horrible getting old, but the alternative is worse.

I'm approaching the 60 mark myself (dang, seems like just yesterday I was a hippy punk in HS going to the dances listening to disco) and one thing I've discovered is that most of our food supply is, well, more or less poisonous to a natural living system. The trick is to balance your intake to be more alkali than acidic, and stay away from things that promote inflammation and/or acidification. Anything with gluten and sugar are primary targets to eliminate. I still eat meat and fish (a primary reason I shoot a lot is because I hunt, can't beat natural game meat, though have to take it easy with red meats). Equally important is promoting oxygen delivery to your cells--so some form of exercise to increase breathing rate and efficiency of the cardio system is essential.

Back