Getting my concealed carry permit soon, need some opinions on a carry weapon

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are not ready to carry a firearm. Sorry to be blunt.

You're not the judge of that. You're just some high and mighty guy on the internet. You won't be there to protect the dude if he finds himself in a situation and things go sideways. His gun will though.

As someone who is a pocket gun enthusiast and shoot them each week, I would advise not to get one unless you plan on doing frequent and diligent training.
They can be difficult to shoot for someone with little experience. And I am not talking about just going to the range, pulling the gun up and taking your time, getting the proper stance, and squeezing the trigger etc. I mean pulling the gun and shooting fast into center mass.
As least this was the case for myself. It took many thousands of rounds down range to get where I thought I was proficient. 10 years of shooting them on a consistent basis I have learned a little about them. For one , even when mastered, it is important to keep honing the skill with frequent, moderate training.
My personal advice is to get one with a strong double action. Stay away from a light trigger. Once you get use to a a trigger like this they become your friend and can be shot as well or better than many of the "light Crisp" triggers advertised and much safer to carry and handle quickly.
Become proficient in Point and shoot skills. This alone takes a lot of dedicated practice and training. Get one that with night sights. Although you will not be using the sight directly, when point and shoot skills are learned, they give a great Peripheral tool to help with fast action at night.
I have heard so many times over the years the comment "These are not range guns". I say "the hell they are not". You take it to the range and you do all kinds of drills, just like any other gun, multiple targets, different ranges, double taps etc. I train as if my life depended on it.

You might want to start off with a bigger gun and move down as you gain experience. JMHO

As a Floridian, I started pocket carrying in 2009.

I figured it’s the only way to conceal with a t-shirt.

Unless Sig figures the p365 out, the Kahr PM9 is still the best 9mm true pocket pistol.

Why go with .380, when you cal get a 9mm?

A couple of years ago, I realized that a Glock 19 was easily concealable at 3:00, withe a slight forward cant, under a t-shirt, with the right holster. The t-shirt can’t be short or tight.

I use Ultimate Holster with a single clip and the antimicrobial backing. I have 3 of the holsters and rotate them out (like I do my shoes) to let them air out from sweat and such as that.

A pocket gun’s better than nothing, but a “service pistol” is much better.

I have carried a Glock 19 or 23 that was for two years.

While the OP is the only one who can decide what gun is right for him, the fact is that .380s can be noticeably smaller than similar 9mms. My P938 might be small for a 9mm, but my LCP is A LOT smaller. There is no acceptance standard for carry... if a .380 works for the OP, then go with that. If he can fit a 9mm without getting to the point that he will leave the gun home due to comfort issues... then go larger. But if you come up with an excuse to not carry a .380... then you likely wouldn’t be carrying a 9mm by that point.

Out of the options given, I’d pick the Ruger (I have the older version). Remington... would be the only one I’d say be careful with. The M&P should be good to go, but I’ve also heard mixed views on the Bodyguard.

If you are putting the gun in a humid environment, likely with some sweat contacting it, I’d go with a plating like NP3 or CPII (on costs, I’d go with CCR’s CPII; they are out of Tennessee and very good people... just might take a little bit to get it back). When I first pocket carried my LCP, it rusted pretty quick... as I have like battery acid sweat. I sent the gun to CCR, especially the screws for the CT grip, and never had an issue since.

00ep3R9.jpg

Carry a real gun not that I want to be shot with a .380 or a .22.I carry a Lightweight Colt Commander .45 acp,carrying a spare mag in a Blade-Tec single mag pouch and another in left hand pants pocket wearing shorts and a t shirt concealing them with no problem.

KLCane - didn't you just post last week that you are new to shooting. You have a GP100 with about 200 rounds through it. Now you're about to get a carry permit.

Do yourself a favor [and everyone that's within a bullet's distance from you] get some training and experience before consider carrying a firearm in public. Carrying a firearm is a lifestyle change and huge responsibility. You are not ready to carry a firearm. Sorry to be blunt.

I work with a 20+ year LEO who's teaching me and making sure I'm doing everything safe and proper. Lots of practice as well. As I said in my original post, I don't plan on carrying until I'm comfortably proficient.

I live minutes away from Parkland, and it hit a little too close to home. I am 46 years old with young daughters, so with all due respect, I am not waiting years before I become a championship level marksman before protecting myself and my family.

There are levels of self defense. Large spectrums of protection. From taking a self-defense course to carrying mace to carrying a 380 to carrying a 357, etc. I can't blindly take on some rah, rah position on carrying while ignoring all of the other factors, environment, family, etc.

I appreciate your candor. I have been on this board only a short time, and understand that posters come from all ages, locales and have all sorts of different levels of experience.

Last edited:
I am 52 years old. I live in Texas. The summers are really bad in my area. I've been shooting handguns regularly since I was a teenager.

In the summer I normally wear a sleeveless t-shirt and cargo shorts. My Ruger LCR and holster easily fit into the cargo pocket. It's easy to reach sitting down, and with my long gorilla arms, standing up is no problem either. It's light enough that it doesn't make the pocket sag.

Sometimes I carry a Kel-Tec P3AT instead. (The Ruger LCP is a copy of it.) I can conceal it pretty much whatever I'm wearing.

In cold weather I carry larger handguns. In the summer I carry what seems reasonable and comfortable to me. My idea of SD is one or two perps trying to mug or carjack me. What I carry, how well I shoot them, and my situational awareness make me comfortable with my choices.

I lower my risks by approaching things in a different way than many here. To me, situational awareness is paramount. I also lower my risk of being a crime victim by not looking like one. I'm a big guy. If I'm out and about, I dress borderline "rough", looking like I don't have ten cents in my pockets. My vehicles (though well maintained and mechanically sound) are old and practically worthless. I'm not as pretty as I used to be. If I don't look at all like a good target for mugging, car jacking, or sexual assault, it seems unlikely to me that I will be the victim of a violent crime. But just in case, I like to have at least a revolver or small automatic on me, something that I've practiced with a lot (and carried where I can reach it quickly).

If someone is in a parking lot, wearing his Rolex, getting in or out of his Mercedes, talking on his phone and not paying attention to what's going on around him, he's offering himself up as an easy and profitable target. The large-capacity pistol he's carrying won't make him any safer. One experienced BG with a brick will take him out in a split second.

One guy did show interest in mugging me a few years back. I was on my way home from work and therefore unarmed. I had stopped to put gas in my car. A rough-looking character approached me from 7:00 or so. When he was about ten feet away I pivoted unexpectedly and looked him straight in the eyes. He raised his hands up as if to say "Not looking for problems" and went on his way. It was my fault for putting myself in that situation. I was wearing business casual and was unarmed. I should have just gotten gas later, when I could have looked a little rougher and had something concealed. Keeping my head on a swivel saved me from a possible problem. If I had gone out later, and the same thing had occurred and gone south on me, a large-capacity pistol wouldn't have been any more useful than a 5-shot snub revolver.

Last edited:
Obviously proper training and proficiency are paramount, but your decisions are exactly that, yours.
Don't allow others and especially total strangers, dictate to you what is right or wrong for you... especially when it comes to your personal rights and freedoms, just sayin.

Nothing wrong with a .380 if that is what you want, but I would suggest finding a range and trying a few out prior to making your decision as Cheapshooter advised.

You might also like to look at something like a 'Thunderwear' holster considering your usual attire.
Warm months here in MO when I'm not at work I use one with shorts and the occasional t-shirt and it works well, but there are many similar options out there.
The decision to carry is in fact a lifestyle change, take your time there's no rush.

I find these requirements to work:
- grip with all 3 fingers on the front strap
- 3.5” + barrel
- ~0.9” slide width
- 7rd + mags
- ~20-28oz unloaded
- manual safety
- full size sights
- 1.5s draw.....0.4s splits at 7 yds
- 9mm or bigger

I find my Shield 9 or DW CCO carry well in shorts and a light shirt over a sweat-catcher tank top.

Sure I carry a cw380 in my front pocket some days, but I know I’m less capable with that. I do shoot it exceptionally fast for my skill level.

Do yourself a favor [and everyone that's within a bullet's distance from you] get some training and experience before consider carrying a firearm in public. Carrying a firearm is a lifestyle change and huge responsibility. You are not ready to carry a firearm. Sorry to be blunt.

Are you suggesting that prior to obtaining a permit and/or carrying that a person should receive professional and formal training? If so, you will certainly make the anti-gun contingent very happy and perhaps make a few people here a bit upset.

Unless the cold-blooded murderers out there agree to wait until I am an expert marksman to not to kill my daughters or family, I am going to work as hard as I can, as fast as I can, to become comfortable carrying. We are literally a few miles away from my daughter being zoned for Stoneman Douglas. I am at the age and maturity level where I am confident that I will make the right decision on when I am ready to carry.

Look, I did not want to start a political or philosophical discussion. I just wanted to get some differing opinions on a few firearms. This is certainly not my primary or even secondary source of information. I was hoping I could come here and get some differing opinions without a condescending lecture.

Last edited:
Look, I did not want to start a political or philosophical discussion. I just wanted to get some differing opinions on a few firearms. This is certainly not my primary or even secondary source of information. I was hoping I could come here and get some differing opinions without a condescending lecture.

It’s the internet... while you’ll get people to help you out, that other side will always come out. A lot of people don’t see the difference between saying, “I would recommend a 9mm over a .380,” and “you must carry 9mm, never a .380!” Don’t discard the first, if they give evidence, but don’t take the second to heart. Unless they can demonstrate that they carry their larger gun religiously (nobody can over the internet), it isn’t really worth the bother.

When this shooting occurred, I was actually down in Florida (little bit north; Ocala). I had that pictured gun above (Ruger LCP), as well as my S&W 642-1 (converted to 9mm). The day after, I carried both on me... but the entire week down there, I had a gun on me (before and after the shooting). I was at a horse show, with a large amount of people present. I’m not really a fan of that, being the ease of large casualties in an attack... but can’t live life scared. Had to be there, legally allowed to carry... so that is what I did. I’m not fighting insurgents, or consciously going into harms way... a .380 is fine for visiting my fiancé, who is down at a horse show in Florida. I do prefer my J-frame, but with the temperature down there, I’m glad I had the pocket option.

Definitely carry the best gun for you, whether it means you are constrained by size/weight, or can carry a Desert Eagle. Having a gun is probably the biggest obstacle to overcome, since people like to put their standards down on others... if it is a .380, it is better than a .32. If it is a .32, it is better than a .25/.22. If it is a .25/.22, it is better than a pocket knife. But everyone here saying that they wouldn’t carry a .380 aren’t you. Get one, shoot a metric crap ton of FMJ to get proficient (will add, .380 is expensive; I moved to 9mm mostly for that), and then make sure your defensive loads function. If, in that time, you see a better option or dislike the .380, look elsewhere.

Can’t recommend anything else without more input from your end, but I do think you likely will prefer a .380. Whatever you decide, putting rounds down range is sort of a requirement in proficiency.

It’s the internet... while you’ll get people to help you out, that other side will always come out. A lot of people don’t see the difference between saying, “I would recommend a 9mm over a .380,” and “you must carry 9mm, never a .380!” Don’t discard the first, if they give evidence, but don’t take the second to heart. Unless they can demonstrate that they carry their larger gun religiously (nobody can over the internet), it isn’t really worth the bother.

When this shooting occurred, I was actually down in Florida (little bit north; Ocala). I had that pictured gun above (Ruger LCP), as well as my S&W 642-1 (converted to 9mm). The day after, I carried both on me... but the entire week down there, I had a gun on me (before and after the shooting). I was at a horse show, with a large amount of people present. I’m not really a fan of that, being the ease of large casualties in an attack... but can’t live life scared. Had to be there, legally allowed to carry... so that is what I did. I’m not fighting insurgents, or consciously going into harms way... a .380 is fine for visiting my fiancé, who is down at a horse show in Florida. I do prefer my J-frame, but with the temperature down there, I’m glad I had the pocket option.

Definitely carry the best gun for you, whether it means you are constrained by size/weight, or can carry a Desert Eagle. Having a gun is probably the biggest obstacle to overcome, since people like to put their standards down on others... if it is a .380, it is better than a .32. If it is a .32, it is better than a .25/.22. If it is a .25/.22, it is better than a pocket knife. But everyone here saying that they wouldn’t carry a .380 aren’t you. Get one, shoot a metric crap ton of FMJ to get proficient (will add, .380 is expensive; I moved to 9mm mostly for that), and then make sure your defensive loads function. If, in that time, you see a better option or dislike the .380, look elsewhere.

Can’t recommend anything else without more input from your end, but I do think you likely will prefer a .380. Whatever you decide, putting rounds down range is sort of a requirement in proficiency.
Thank you. Great advice.

KLCane - What I am saying to you is plain as day. I pray that someone close to you is telling you the same. Based on the fact that you've come to an online forum, asking about which gun to purchase and that you are a complete novice - you are not ready to carry a firearm.

I don't want you to shoot yourself, or worse, someone else based on your own admitted ignorance. There is no cheerleading or rah, rah of any specific caliber - nor has there been any suggestion of expert marksmanship. You sound like a child, reaching for straw-dog arguments. I've simply asked cogent question, which you have chosen to ignore. Your desire to carry a firearm is a knee-jerked reaction which puts everyone around you at risk.

Do I think YOU [personally] need some professional training? YES.

This has nothing to do with philosophy. It is about the safety of those innocent people around you [including yourself]. One of them may be my family member or friend.

KLCane - What I am saying to you is plain as day. I pray that someone close to you is telling you the same. Based on the fact that you've come to an online forum, asking about which gun to purchase and that you are a complete novice - you are not ready to carry a firearm.

I don't want you to shoot yourself, or worse, someone else based on your own admitted ignorance. There is no cheerleading or rah, rah of any specific caliber - nor has there been any suggestion of expert marksmanship. You sound like a child, reaching for straw-dog arguments. I've simply asked cogent question, which you have chosen to ignore. Your desire to carry a firearm is a knee-jerked reaction which puts everyone around you at risk.

Do I think YOU [personally] need some professional training? YES.

This has nothing to do with philosophy. It is about the safety of those innocent people around you [including yourself]. One of them may be my family member or friend.
As I said, I don't want to get into a philosophical debate with you. I did NOT ask which gun I should buy. I asked what everyone's thoughts were on those particular guns. Big difference.

I am a novice. I only started last year. Not that I need to explain myself to you. If you don't want to answer the question, then why are you responding? You get to make the decision whether I can carry or not based on reading a few random posts (that you actually didn't really read or comprehend)? Did you miss where I said I am being trained? Did you miss where I said that I wanted to become proficient before carrying? Perhaps in the future, for other posters, you may want to read carefully before responding.

You are right about one thing, it is a mistake to come on to these boards. I figured there would be people like you, I was just hoping that by keeping my posts very light, asking simply questions to get some differing opinions, I would be able to avoid dealing with condescending know-it-alls. I was wrong.

This is normally a pleasant forum. It's rare for things to get rude around here. Often a moderator will come on and delete rude posts. Don't get discouraged. Most of us try to be helpful and friendly. :)

I also live and carry in Florida. Consider wearing a Tee-shirt, and also a short-sleeved
cotton shirt, with a long tail. It will open up a lot of more comfortable carry options.

As to .380 VS 9mm, while I personally prefer 9mm, Kahr and many manufacturers making
380s make them slimmer and more compact, specifically for concealed carry.

KLCane, you need to understand one thing about this board. People are going to post things that challenge you, things that rub you the wrong way, things that upset you. I have posted things on here that were picked apart by other posters in ways that made me feel like I was being jumped on. It took me a while to figure out that it really isn't a condescending know-it-all kind of thing. People around here mean well and they say the things they do to make you think about what you're doing in ways that maybe you haven't. I've learned quite a bit from being jumped on around here. Just ride it out and be sure to eat the meat and spit out the gristle.

First off tallball stop wearing sleeveless shirts.
Second, really shouldn’t go on line asking for advice and then get mad about if everyone.
Those two important points (tallball looking at you here) aside I totally understand your position but you are getting a lot of good advise even if it isn’t what you want to hear. There are many people here with years of carry experience and training I would seriously consider what they are saying. The “I want to carry a gun that has no impact on my life, wardrobe, actions or comfort” is pretty common. I’ll say it again. Carry the biggest gun you can and will not the smallest gun that you don’t notice. All the weeks, months or years of carrying a mini gun in perfect comfort aren’t going to count for anything when you are facing a threat with a bare minimum effective caliber/firearm. You are carrying for that 60 seconds when that gun matters not the years of life when it didn’t.

Forgot to ad. If it’s that hot why wear t shirts. Cotton t shirts are not going to feel as cool (or look as cool) as a thin button down style shirt. The button down especially with a white or light color and open print on it will conceal much better while looking better dressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back