Gave up finding primers

Interesting video. Not for what he says but how manual the manufacture of ammo is. Hand loading boxes into cases, hand rolling cases, scooping up primers into a machine. I would have thought it would be a lot more automated than that.

Remington Lonoke Arkansas plant is producing

At least the Remington Lonoke plant is producing ammo. Last week I purchased one new box of Remington Green Box .44 Magnum at Cabelas. $44 per box of 50, so reasonably priced.
They had several boxes, but I only bought one as others may want some too.
Remington being back on line may help stave the primer shortage, but I'm thinking maybe 2022 before ammo production demand is caught up to where any excess primer production can be released for retail sale.

We shall see unless the Rapture happens, then I won't have to concern myself with it. If Raptured, you guys left behind can have my remaining ammo and reloading supplies.:D

after the last fiasco a few years back. I went with the buy 2, shoot one mentality. Thankfully I have a supply that should be good enough to get through a full year. perhaps 2 if I miser my shooting a bit.

Large caliber air rifle and a quality air pistol does seem like a decent alternative though.

Here's the video without the inserted commentary. Saves you a couple of minutes of viewing time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5zNNk130V0. The only thing Jason Vanderbrink doesn't say explicitly is that if they do not give their ammo facilities priority access to their primer output, the employees lose hours as well as the pant and equipment picking up idle hours. It seems like primer manufacturing is planned to match maximum ammunition plant production in the worst case demand, as we have now or the plant would have if the plant were called upon to assist with war production. That makes sense when you consider that just ten months ago there was excess capacity going idle.

I am glad to see there has been a big influx of new hunters. Hunting had dropped about in half as an activity over the last twenty or thirty years. I note Vanderbrink mentions that he likes the demographic of the new hunters, meaning, I expect, that it is well-heeled enough to support the market in the future and probably that there are more women doing it, which brings on board a market that was neglected not too many years ago.

Rule #1 of forums: "Don't be a dick" Some people never seem to learn that.

Eventually primers and powder (etc) will be plentiful and cheap (but maybe not for long) and you should buy a 10 year supply when that happens. In the mean time if you just started reloading during a shortage, I don't know what to tell you except the drought will end eventually. If you lived nearby I'd sell you a little of my surplus for not much more than I paid for it, but I don't have that much surplus so I couldn't sell you more than a few hundred primers or a couple pounds of powder.
Thanks for the offer but I’m good for now. I have enough primers that if rationed can last me a while. Can always shoot 22LR in the place of centerfire.

Back