Gave up finding primers

Dang! I think I've got about 500 rounds of LC 72 M2 Ball in Garand en block clips that isn't impressively accurate. You are telling me someone would pay over $1600 for that? I knew primers were rediculous, but didn't realize ammo was getting that bad. Not planning to sell it, but that's nice to know.

Quien sabe? I can only imagine a hard up buyer just might be out there yet today (or tomorrow). It's just hard to fathom the guns and ammo situation in our country today. What it is... and Georgia's coming...

Unclenick said:
Dang! I think I've got about 500 rounds of LC 72 M2 Ball in Garand en block clips that isn't impressively accurate. You are telling me someone would pay over $1600 for that? I knew primers were rediculous, but didn't realize ammo was getting that bad. Not planning to sell it, but that's nice to know.

Never had a need or urge to sell any of my loaded ammo but this current atmosphere people seem to be fine with paying $.60+ / rnd . So a friend of a friend was desperate for some .223 ammo and I sold off some desirable Wolf Gold .223 , bought a 1K case back in 2015 for $319 , shot about 160 rounds, and just sold the remaining rounds for a decent small profit. Did this more of a favor for the friend of a friend. I didn't screw the guy, but I certainly didn't give the ammo away either. Never though this exact ammo selling situation could happen.

The last time I had a brief moment of goof sense, I purchased a block of 1000 CCI large rifle primers at $3.00 per hundred.:D

I've given up on small pistol and small rifle primer searching about 2 months ago. I have everything else, but dropped the ball on primers. I'm set on .22LR thankfully. 15K rounds of match grade and 10K of bulk plinking. Should be fine on rimfire throughout the new prez admin.

That just means more for me. They are still around and being sold, you just gotta be patient and wait. lots of other things to do and work on while waiting.

They come up for sale now and again but you need to do your due diligence and act quickly. Midway USA has an email notification system as an example. I scored some Win 209 shotgun primers that way

Amen to that. I've been using Midway's notification system for a while. Recently scored some H110 and H4198 for my first stab at .300 blk. You gotta be Johnny-On-The-Spot to grab it. I suspect it's the same for just about anything today. Have faith and quick thumbs.

Went to the local Cabelas browsing earlier this week and did see one box of Federal 209A shotshell primers on the shelf with about 25 different varieties of powder. Over the past several months, the only ammo that has been readily available at this store are shotgun shells.
Of course, that box of 209A primers and all but two cans of powder are gone today.

So there is a new video released today (1/21/2021) from a company (Federal/CCI/Speer/Remington) CEO that stated that all of the primers they are manufacturing are going to ammo production. So with that said, has ANYONE seen any Federal, CCI or Remington Small Pistol, Small Rifle, Large Rifle or Large Piston primers on the retail store shelves.
This excludes Shotshell primers as I have seen a box on that on Cabelas shelves recently.
I haven't seen any SPP, SRP, LRP or LPP primers on retail shelves here since February 2020. Has anyone else actually laid eyes on actual primer bricks on the store retail shelves lately? Be truthful now!

So there is a new video released today (1/21/2021) from a company (Federal/CCI/Speer/Remington) CEO that stated that all of the primers they are manufacturing are going to ammo production. So with that said, has ANYONE seen any Federal, CCI or Remington Small Pistol, Small Rifle, Large Rifle or Large Piston primers on the retail store shelves.
This excludes Shotshell primers as I have seen a box on that on Cabelas shelves recently.
I haven't seen any SPP, SRP, LRP or LPP primers on retail shelves here since February 2020. Has anyone else actually laid eyes on actual primer bricks on the store retail shelves lately? Be truthful now!

Pretty much everyone in search of a primer knows that and that is how it played out following Sandy Hook with the last shortages. Ammunition does trickle in but I have not seen primers in a long time because once existing stock was sold there is no restocking. Powder also seems to be showing up from time to time like loaded ammunition but again good luck on primers.

The Seller and Bellot primers were a good deal while they were pouring into the country and retailing at $18 per thousand on sale. Since those all went away I really don't know of any primers being imported? So here we are.

Ron

A shooting buddy knows I am watching for primers. He called me and said he knows a local guy that scored 30k LP and would re-sell to "friends" for $50 / 1000 (a nice profit for him).

The above goes along with a number of solid sounding on line posts I have seen that are all saying the same thing. It seems that some stores (Academy for one) are getting regular primer shipments on specific days, but profiteers have folks waiting in line when the stores open to run in and grab all they can to be re-sold for as much as they can get.

I am not going to help fund folks buying and re-selling for a quick profit.

ammo is coming back to the store shelves it seems, powder in more limited amounts, primers are still scarce as hens teeth. I am hoping the worst should be over by late summer or early fall and a memory this time next year. Of course that is assuming the political BS doesn't get any more insane

Shop the local shops and get a in with the employees there, gougers buy everything that hits online

Gee some of you guys are so nice. Guess you didn’t read the part of only reloading for a couple of years. Happy new year to you too.
BTW, I never said I was out of primers. I’ve just given up looking for now
Rule #1 of forums: "Don't be a dick" Some people never seem to learn that.

Eventually primers and powder (etc) will be plentiful and cheap (but maybe not for long) and you should buy a 10 year supply when that happens. In the mean time if you just started reloading during a shortage, I don't know what to tell you except the drought will end eventually. If you lived nearby I'd sell you a little of my surplus for not much more than I paid for it, but I don't have that much surplus so I couldn't sell you more than a few hundred primers or a couple pounds of powder.

I am hoping the worst should be over by late summer or early fall and a memory this time next year. Of course that is assuming the political BS doesn't get any more insane

You are indeed an optimist. 2020 was a perfect storm, and now we have one party rule and the call for gun control in DC hasn't even started yet. Batten down the hatches boys, it's gonna be a while.

Don

Not just hoarders. We've always had hoarders, even when supplies were plentiful. In 2020, part of the perfect storm was the rioting, looting, and burning of some of our cities. This caused millions of people who never even dreamed of owning a gun to go out and buy one. New gun owners need ammo. On top of that, the Chinese virus hit us which hit the supply chain and labor pool at ammunition plants. In previous times like this, foreign suppliers filled in the gap between supply and demand, but you don't see it happening this time. Believe me, hounddawg, I hope you are right and normalcy returns later this year, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Don

Hounddawg:
we will see. Hoarders can only stash so much

Hope you are right for the sake of those new to the game. I am going to need to sell off some toilet paper to make room for my primers. :)

Seriously though hounddawg has a good and valid point. Those hoarding or whatever can only have so much before it is not practical to try to add more.

As to the 5 guys hanging outside a store front waiting for opening maybe these are the same five guys who were waiting at Walmart during the last shortage? They seem to get around. Me thinks they have connections on the inside. :)

Ron

Back