Gas vs. Inertia

That's a very short LOP; are you of very short stature,

6 foot tall. It's a cross between what will fit and what will fit when wearing a tshirt at the beginning of season and thermal, tshirt, sweatshirt or two and heavy jacket at the end of season. 14 inch length of pull would be fine but some of those Benelli/Stoegers are 14 3/8. Why someone doesn't 3d print up a buttplate for them I don't know.

And yet, my English friends, who are all of ~5'-8", have been fitted with stocks ranging from 14-7/8 to 15-1/4 - and they shoot pheasant wearing several layers of thick waterproof clothing.
I use close to 14-7/8 year round and I tend to shoot low-gun; yet I am only 2.5" taller than you.

I see way too many folks (and not saying you are one of them) who are used to M4s and very short stocks because of the gear and the way a rifle is shot think a shotgun should be the same; it usually isn't.

Well all I have to say is you work with what works well. I just measured the length of pull on the Mossberg 500, Browning Citori and Savage Fox in my safe and they all come up at 14 inches and shoot well when i'm all bundled up.

Opening day of pheasant season here in Wisconsin was October 20th and I was out and it was snowing. Hope for the best but plan for the worst. Sure I could probably shoot a longer length of pull but if it gets hung up on my jacket and dinner fly's or hops away the trip is a bust.

confused

Ok, I'm confused. I understand gas guns, think Rem 1100. Bamaboy owns an 11-87. Gas guns are recognized as softer shooting.

But...aren't recoil operated guns (Browning A5) and inertia guns (Benelli/Stoeger & others ) different in operation, ie, two separate action types? I see the terms and guns being used interchangeably in this thread. Is that exactly right?

Traditionally, the A5 has been thought of as reliable but a kicker and somewhat slow cycling. The inertial guns are usually touted as reliable, moderate kickers, and very fast cycling.

But...aren't recoil operated guns (Browning A5) and inertia guns (Benelli/Stoeger & others ) different in operation, ie, two separate action types? I see the terms and guns being used interchangeably in this thread. Is that exactly right?

You are right. They are not the same.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Traditionally, the A5 has been thought of as reliable but a kicker and somewhat slow cycling. The inertial guns are usually touted as reliable, moderate kickers, and very fast cycling.

Correct, those are the three basic semi actions (including the gas). (There are a few quirky one-off variations, but those are somewhat rare)

Would the Winchester Model 50 semi-auto be considered an 'inertia' shotgun by today's standards?

I know their advertising made a HUGE deal about it not being a long-recoil operated shotgun, a la Browning Auto 5.

I have read it referred to as a short-recoil shotgun. but, what is the difference between short recoil and inertia?

Thanks- interesting thread!

Would the Winchester Model 50 semi-auto be considered an 'inertia' shotgun by today's standards?

I know their advertising made a HUGE deal about it not being a long-recoil operated shotgun, a la Browning Auto 5.

I have read it referred to as a short-recoil shotgun. but, what is the difference between short recoil and inertia?

Thanks- interesting thread!
Winchester model 50 is indeed special. Haven't seen one myself, but read about it. It is considered half short recoil and half inertia.

If the barrel moves back more than a shell length, as in an A5, it is considered long recoil; short recoil otherwise if the barrel moves at all. Model 50 actually has a floating chamber that moves back about 1/4" locked, then the inertia action finishes the rest of the cycling.

For sure it is not a gas operated action.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

My shotgun needs tend towards the self defense aspects, and I have two. A Mossberg 500 made to be as short as possible with an 18” barrel and a 12” lop stock.
My semi is a Beretta 1201FP, which is like a Benelli M1 Super 90...an inertia gun. It is indeed very fast, and since my last auto was a long recoil Remington Model 11 (Auto 5) I don’t really notice any recoil difference.
As far as the Auto 5 action being slow cycling, I’ve seen the Model 11 fire five rounds of 00 Buck so fast that all five empty hulls were airborne in a short line...seemed plenty fast to me.

Of course, there is always the design Mr. Browning's son, Val, helped develop, the "short-recoil" Browning "Double-Auto", one of the finest examples of an auto shotgun ever made for hunting upland birds, imo.

Someone mentioned earlier that a gas operated shotgun will reliably feed "lighter rounds", like 7/8oz target loads better than inertia guns. I do not have experience with the inertia guns, but, my Mossberg 930 "Duck Commander" [discontinued] field gun shoots all factory loads very reliably and is a very soft shooter. I looked at a couple of Benelli's, but, those were out of my price range at the time. Happy with the 930's performance so far. About 2,000 rounds, no hiccups. It is strictly a upland and occasional trap gun.

Blindstitch, about every 250-300 rounds I suppose. No, not really. First time was simply a learning experience, after that, pretty simple. Clean like any other semi, make sure the gas ports are clean and away you go. I really like it, so, I'm not sure why some complain about these. Perhaps it has to do with the JM models and the fast shooting, extended mag version. Not sure. No complaints on my end. A fine semi-auto shotgun for my needs.

Shutdown

The shutdown has become a weekly headache for me.

About 6 years ago I signed up for NEXUS It's a joint US/Canada program to allow quick border crossings as I was going over the Maple Curtain a lot.

I discovered that the card also qualifies one to have TSA pre check. I travel for work constantly. Pre check is a necessity if you travel like I do.

Well I sent my renewal in a few days before the shutdown. Of course they ran my card when I sent the renewal.

I'm still waiting and it was a renewal. I have to fly tomorrow. I checked their site and it states approved, I must receive my card before I get my pre check status back.

Grrrrr.

Someone mentioned earlier that a gas operated shotgun will reliably feed "lighter rounds", like 7/8oz target loads better than inertia guns. I do not have experience with the inertia guns, but, my Mossberg 930 "Duck Commander" [discontinued] field gun shoots all factory loads very reliably and is a very soft shooter. I looked at a couple of Benelli's, but, those were out of my price range at the time. Happy with the 930's performance so far. About 2,000 rounds, no hiccups. It is strictly a upland and occasional trap gun.

I have 2 Beretta A400s, the Xcel and the Xplor Unico. Both handle my 3/4oz reloads with zero malfs. Makes shooting a lot of targets in one day enjoyable.

Well after 6 months of searching I finally decided to pick up the Mossberg 935 Magnum waterfowl edition. Every time I held a mossberg it fit perfect so after this weekend I went to Gander Outdoors which is the only store locally that has it. I shouldered all the shotguns I was making the decision between and once done the Mossberg was the winner. Looked at the price tag of $749 and thought why since the MSRP is $730 and nobody pays that price. Went to Dunham's Sports and they have a new online ship to store and I ordered one there for $619. $130 savings so this new Gander can go out of business to.

Now to learn how to break it down and clean out whatever goo is in there.
Thanks Everyone. Held lots of guns and almost bought a Franchi Affinity.

Funny, the Ganders I have been in have been lower than most places, and if you're a Good Sam member, you get another 5% off, even guns

Back