Game Farm Hunts

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Where we hunt, there are small blocks of land ranging from 1-40 acres.

Thousands and thousands of people own parcels less than 15, even 10, acres that are the only places they can hunt.

How exactly does "spot and stalk" work on 10 acres of land, with 6 of it being field?

There are "personal preferences" and there are opinions like this, which are just beyond description without violating every forum rule we have.

Asinine. Absolutely ridiculous.

peetzakilla

+1 on that! Wait until you get too old to go hiking all over and if on small plots of wooded land walk all around and screw up everyone else's hunting. See how many of your fellow hunters appreciate you. "I do it this way so that HAS to be the only way to do it!"

Yeah, right. You'd never kill a deer in Wisconsin.

Oh, and here is a picture of my blind... :D

Attachments

• blind2.jpg
    blind2.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
With all the prefab stuff out now, I didn't think people made their own blinds anymore. Beautiful country, wish I had woods like that here

I built it out of 1/2" treated plywood and 2x4's for $500. I would have liked to buy one of the new fiberglass ones but for one this size (4' x 8') it would have been over $1000. I have indoor/outdoor carpeting in it, a 25 gallon propane tank and heater on it, comfortable swivel bar stool and a ceiling light. My little slice of Wisconsin gun hunting Heaven I guess. :D

Attachments

• blind4.jpg
    blind4.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 22
  • a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 19
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 15
I know I'm getting away from the point of this thread but here's some pics of the hunting area around the blind.... 120 acres of oak woods on hilly terrain surrounded by marsh which is surrounded by corn fields. If the corn is cut we have chances at deer! Acorns all over the place! And they are white oaks so the deer love the acorns.

Attachments

• owl3.jpg
    owl3.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 23
  • owl6.jpg
    owl6.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 22
  • owl5.jpg
    owl5.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 19
Here's the biggest ones taken from the stand closest to mine on opening day this year. He came from my direction... 20" inside...

Just cell phone!! :D

Attachments

• roger2.jpg
    roger2.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 27
  • roger6.jpg
    roger6.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 18
I'm a NY hunter. it's fair chase only, no bait, no nothing except fair chase. most days the deer out smart me. or sniff me out. but I'm hunting.
this year I'm hungry.

I thought about doing the bear over bait in Canada, or the hogs at bay in FL with dogs. never was that thrilled about the idea of it, so I havn't done either.

If I really want vension, I can do the $400 fenced doe, but I'd never go for a $10000 trophy buck. I call that shooting someones pet.

The baiting laws in Wisconsin are so restrictive it doesn't pay. I'm in an oak woods with natural acorns all over the ground. I don't need to bait anyway. I know baiting black bear is probably the only way you'd ever get them but watching them do it on TV doesn't turn my crank at all. I would probably feel the same about building a "feeding station" for deer and sitting over it. I don't care if others do it and it is allowed it would just not be for me.

Now if I want to REALLY be a hunter I've got to learn how to spot and stalk those darn bucks in the thick Wisconsin woods! In my bright orange, glowing, blinking, flashing blaze orange clothes!

A pretty good thread. I think it is good to talk about the different areas that are hunted. I have been around the country a bit and have seen how different the terrain is. That is why there is such heated discussions about the "proper" rifle to use. Add in local tradition and there really can be some difference of opinion. I suppose some fenced hunts are O.K., but they are fenced. If it held no advantage there would be no fence. The fenced areas around me don't even have to follow the state Game Laws so I can not consider them "Fairchase". A couple of us Pa. boys camp out for a couple days and hunt West Virginia every year. We sit around the campfire and laugh about guys like Warbirdlover. That is perfect terrain for walking up on a deer. Works good in the coal regions in Pa. also. Different areas/different cultures.

My 12 y.o. niece sits in the camper in her pink crocs, listening to her old man and me tell hunting stories over an adult beveridge or 3......

Since we've long wandered away from the issue of game farms--of which there really aren't all that many outside the world of bird-shooting--enough for now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back