Galil or AUG?

Shot about 200 rounds through the AUG over the weekend, functioned great and i really like the bullpup design, when weight closer to your body It helps a lot when carrying it all day the it feels much lighter that a rifle of similar weight
no as good for shooting burst but you can't have everything

And for that matter, the Australian army uses the AUG, but Aussie SAS uses the M4...

Different tools for different jobs & the SAS does use the AUG for certain operations
AUG is better for open areas

+1 JohnSka
+1 Tamara

351, Its amazing you found that 223 I was looking for. I could not find info on it for a long time. What do you think about it? Its available here in 70% condition.

aug

back when i was practicing a lot and a friend furnished the aug and the ammo. one sunday afternoon showing off a bit i took out 3 beer cans at a measured 400 yards with 5 shots. scoff all you want to i have 2 witnesses. i kept those cans in my shop for several years. still have a rail road spike that i dead centered 100 yards. it did take 6 rounds to do that. couldnt match it with anything else he had. he had five different styles of rifles in 223.:cool:

I have owned both an original pre-ban IMI Galil ARM and a pre-ban Steyr AUG. I long ago sold the AUG and I still have the Galil. While the AUG was a neat rifle, I found I didn't like the bullpup layout and the inability to fire the rifle from the weak side. My AUG also had a problem with failures to fire from light strikes to the primers. The Galil is just a refined AK. I have found that the thumb safety on the left side is virtually useless. It is EXTREMELY stiff to move and moves in the wrong direction. Much easier to use the standard safety on the right side than to struggle with the thumb safety. Mine is more accurate than my 7.62 X 39 AKMs. I haven't fired any other 5.56 mm AKs so I really can't say how the Galil compares to them. My Galil is as reliable as my AKMs so I have no complaints there. It is one heck of a pig though weight wise, especially for a 5.56 mm rifle. So of the two, I obviously chose the Galil. However I would choose a 7.62 X 39 mm AKM to take to the field over either a Galil or AUG as it is lighter, fires a more potent round at usual engagement ranges, and is accurate enough for the same.

Creature

Not much difference between the M4 and AUG in terms of OAL:

Not to be snarky, but put a 20" barrel on that M4 like the AUG has, then compare.

I have only handed both in the guns store, one concern I had with the Galil was mounting optics. I haven't seen any really good scope mounts or guns with the Soviet side rail. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.:confused:

crosshair you should checkout a vepr. its the highest end ak. comes with a built in side rail and shoots 1.5 moa. available in 308 or 7.62x39
They were too expensive and hard to get when I bought my Saigas. I did try to get one in 7.62x39, but the cost was just oo much vs the Siagas. I paid $250 for my 20" 7.62x39, $340 for my 22" .308, and $225 for my 16" .223. (Try finding those prices now.) Conversion on the 7.62x39 and the .223 didn't break $200 for either one. The 308 is still stock.

Bang for the buck and all that.

Back